Sign in to follow this  
ramblin'wreck

Roy Williams (DET) .. what is his outlook going forward?

With an emergence of Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams only had 6 catches so far this season. This is puzzling given that Kitna is among the league leaders in passing yards. So you think this will change? Will Roy Williams be good enough for a WR2 for the remainder of the season?

Guest BernardPollardFan
With an emergence of Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams only had 6 catches so far this season. This is puzzling given that Kitna is among the league leaders in passing yards. So you think this will change? Will Roy Williams be good enough for a WR2 for the remainder of the season?

Yes. The safeties can't cover Roy the whole season, when they start rolling Calvin's way (after sunday, it shouldn't be too far away), things are going to open up a lot for Roy.

Roy is also voicing his opinion and not taking the low amount of targets. He also brings up a valid point that their offense is better with 4 wide-outs, and if they want to stop falling out of games so quick, they need to spread their offense out to set up the run, instead of trying to run all 1st half and then passing when they're behind 21.

I'm interested to hear more as I haven't followed this much. I floated Sproles to the LT owner, he mentioned maybe including Roy for Royal in a package deal, dunno who the mystery RB would be to fill out the deal yet. Anyway, keep me informed. :thumbsup:

Roy might not even be with the team next season. Their problem isn't his lack of catches; they can't run the ball and they can't play defense.

Megatron is more than capable of handling the reception load he's getting and the coach simply wants to run the ball...I don't see Roy's upside.

Big article in sports section today about Roy b1tchng about not getting the ball enough, he has the same amount of targets from the past 3 years but just nto as many catches, he has had 2 offensive pass interferences that were pretty tacky and one drop, so I think he has had 16 targets 6 catches 1 drop and 2 off PI

Roy not happy as role receiver

Guest BernardPollardFan
Roy might not even be with the team next season. Their problem isn't his lack of catches; they can't run the ball and they can't play defense.

Megatron is more than capable of handling the reception load he's getting and the coach simply wants to run the ball...I don't see Roy's upside.

You must have never watched him play if you don't see his upside.

You must have never watched him play if you don't see his upside.

His talent has nothing to do with my evaluation of his upside. You must be living under a rock if you think 2008 is the same as any other year in his career. If it were simply an issue of his talent, he would have upside, but Marinelli is committed to running the ball and passing less. Even if that were not the case, Calvin Johnson is emerging as Kitna's clear favorite and there is no reason for that to change any time soon. Roy has been wearing out his welcome in Detroit and bitching about not getting the ball is yet another reason he'll likely be playing elsewhere next season. Will he post better games? Yes, but to think he's going back to his pre-Megatron days is foolish. Mike Martz has left the building.

Traded for him in a dynasty this off-season. He's going to look really good in a Cowboys jersey next year. As for this year, yes I think he will be a serviceable WR2. The acrobatic catch in week 1 demonstrated his ability, and while Johnson may be the better fantasy receiver by year's end, we've all seen a number of examples of potent WR tandems. Hopefully Marinelli is smart enough to recognize that the talent on that team is at wide out, and the Lions are best served by getting the ball into their hands early and often.

Traded for him in a dynasty this off-season. He's going to look really good in a Cowboys jersey next year. As for this year, yes I think he will be a serviceable WR2. The acrobatic catch in week 1 demonstrated his ability, and while Johnson may be the better fantasy receiver by year's end, we've all seen a number of examples of potent WR tandems. Hopefully Marinelli is smart enough to recognize that the talent on that team is at wide out, and the Lions are best served by getting the ball into their hands early and often.

...smartest thing I have seen on here in a while - only cause that's what I think will happen too :unsure:

Jerry tried to trade for him this year, but no go. As a FA Williams can choose where he wants to go - and he's a momma's boy from Texas.

Guest BernardPollardFan
His talent has nothing to do with my evaluation of his upside. You must be living under a rock if you think 2008 is the same as any other year in his career. If it were simply an issue of his talent, he would have upside, but Marinelli is committed to running the ball and passing less. Even if that were not the case, Calvin Johnson is emerging as Kitna's clear favorite and there is no reason for that to change any time soon. Roy has been wearing out his welcome in Detroit and bitching about not getting the ball is yet another reason he'll likely be playing elsewhere next season. Will he post better games? Yes, but to think he's going back to his pre-Megatron days is foolish. Mike Martz has left the building.

:rolleyes:

Pass less, huh?

Through 2 games, Kitna is averaging MORE attempts per game. I don't care what the coach said he wanted to do prior to the season, once they realized they can't get by as a run-first team, they started passing more. Calvin Johnson is emerging as Kitna's favorite because he's the one that's open most often. Defenses will have to start taking note, and then who's getting the cushy coverage? #11

Kitna focking sucks. Most of the time he is sailing passes way over Roy's head or throwing them at his feet or to the other team.

Guest BernardPollardFan
Kitna focking sucks. Most of the time he is sailing passes way over Roy's head or throwing them at his feet or to the other team.

Kitna's a pocket QB. When the pocket collapses on him, he doesn't have the mobility or ability to get out of the pocket and throw on the run. Lions line is horrible and he gets sacked multiple times a day. On the few plays that Kitna has more than a couple quick seconds back there, though, watch out.