Sign in to follow this  
Phil_Simms

Sports Stock Market

Article

There is a new sports stock market where you can trade shares in players just like stocks. Barber is worth the most right now. Randy Moss seems to be a value. Owens is worth about 7x Moss right now.

www.oneseason.com

Not sure what to think of this yet. Kinda wish I got in three days ago though.

I got in yesterday morning. Market is on fire. :headbanger: Lebron James went from .30 cents to $80 dollars. Kobe IPO at $5 today and traded over $100. It is fantasy sports, trading and gambling rolled into one. Lots of fun.

I helped start a company in 1994 called Wall Street Sports. Exact same concept. It was before the internet was really big. And the SEC didn't love us. anyway, their timing is better than mine.

I helped start a company in 1994 called Wall Street Sports. Exact same concept. It was before the internet was really big. And the SEC didn't love us. anyway, their timing is better than mine.

I don't think the SEC is gonna love these guys, either.

I don't think the SEC is gonna love these guys, either.

You're buying nothing. This isn't much different than a pyramid scheme. The entire market is a bubble just waiting to burst.

You're buying nothing. This isn't much different than a pyramid scheme. The entire market is a bubble just waiting to burst.

This was my favorite quote from the article.

"People have become much more comfortable with virtual goods and digital assets,"

Virtual goods, digital assets what a joke.

I think it is more like the baseball card without the paper.

I wonder when the government will step in and artificially inflate the market? But, then again if your big enough, they will just step in and bail you out....with OUR money.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I hate things these days...

You are buying entertainment, similar to fantasy football which is a $1 billion industry. I agree, it is a bubble and it will burst but the question is when and how high will it go before it does. In the tulip bubble of the 1600's tulips were going for 20x annual income. Don't underestimate the power of a speculative bubble.

There is money to be made. :dunno:

You are buying entertainment, similar to fantasy football which is a $1 billion industry. I agree, it is a bubble and it will burst but the question is when and how high will it go before it does. In the tulip bubble of the 1600's tulips were going for 20x annual income. Don't underestimate the power of a speculative bubble.

There is money to be made. :overhead:

Agreed, but I'd be nervous about their assets being seized by the gov't... and guess what, their assets include your money. The problem is the IPO allocation process... it's based on how long you've been on the sites, how active you are on the site, and how many transactions you make. The 1st 5 or 10 people in should be putting in the annual max ($2,500) and buying everyone's IPO and flipping them. I'm actually considering pumping some money into the site as a lottery ticket of sorts but I have no hope of getting players at $5.

Looking beyond the SEC, bubble, risk issues (which are all valid) what players would you buy? Owens value is 6x Moss. LT is 11x Moss. I am long Moss.

Looking beyond the SEC, bubble, risk issues (which are all valid) what players would you buy? Owens value is 6x Moss. LT is 11x Moss. I am long Moss.

I think this "game" favors young superstars in big markets. Not sure Moss fits that bill.

Agreed, but I'd be nervous about their assets being seized by the gov't... and guess what, their assets include your money. The problem is the IPO allocation process... it's based on how long you've been on the sites, how active you are on the site, and how many transactions you make. The 1st 5 or 10 people in should be putting in the annual max ($2,500) and buying everyone's IPO and flipping them. I'm actually considering pumping some money into the site as a lottery ticket of sorts but I have no hope of getting players at $5.

Their assets are your money what else do they have, a server and some software?

The problem here is that in order for someone to win someone else MUST lose. In theory on the stock market everyone can win.

The problem here is that in order for someone to win someone else MUST lose. In theory on the stock market everyone can win.

Great insight but I dont think thats fantasy football related. Perhaps you should take it to the little help board.

Yes, their assets are likely a few hundred thousand in software and servers, a couple hundred thousand in working capital, and your deposits.

On your 2nd point, that's not actually true. This is an asset (in the loosest sense of the word) bubble and as long as prices continue to rise, everyone can win. This could perform in the same way as the stock market. The stock market has bubbles and they burst and then they come back. This, in theory, could do the same thing. It's more likley this goes the way of Magic the Gathering, Beanie Babies, and Baseball Cards in the early 2000s. But aside from the fact there is no underlying intrinsic value or cash flows, this isn't any different than the stock market or derivatives market.

Yes, their assets are likely a few hundred thousand in software and servers, a couple hundred thousand in working capital, and your deposits.

On your 2nd point, that's not actually true. This is an asset (in the loosest sense of the word) bubble and as long as prices continue to rise, everyone can win. This could perform in the same way as the stock market. The stock market has bubbles and they burst and then they come back. This, in theory, could do the same thing. It's more likley this goes the way of Magic the Gathering, Beanie Babies, and Baseball Cards in the early 2000s. But aside from the fact there is no underlying intrinsic value or cash flows, this isn't any different than the stock market or derivatives market.

I guess I don't understand. On the stock market Corporations generate money by selling a product to the world market and earn a profit which is shared by the stock holders. The stock also rises as more people invest in the company, this is a main cause of the bubbles you refer to. As I understand it this scheme only has the second option. Their market is only the people involved in the scheme. That is why the people that are already in need to recruit new people (money) so their "virtual" asset will grow. What am I missing? How else can a player's value increase? Any explanation would be appreciated because if this is not correct I am completely confused.

I guess I don't understand. On the stock market Corporations generate money by selling a product to the world market and earn a profit which is shared by the stock holders. The stock also rises as more people invest in the company, this is a main cause of the bubbles you refer to. As I understand it this scheme only has the second option. Their market is only the people involved in the scheme. That is why the people that are already in need to recruit new people (money) so their "virtual" asset will grow. What am I missing? How else can a player's value increase? Any explanation would be appreciated because if this is not correct I am completely confused.

I am looking at it as a virtual baseball card. What is the true value of a baseball card? Nothing, it is a piece of paper. But people are willing to pay $100k plus for certain cards. Same thing here. It might be a flash in the pan or it might be the next big thing and turn into the 21st century "baseball card".

In the meantime I am making $$$ and having fun.

I am looking at it as a virtual baseball card. What is the true value of a baseball card? Nothing, it is a piece of paper. But people are willing to pay $100k plus for certain cards. Same thing here. It might be a flash in the pan or it might be the next big thing and turn into the 21st century "baseball card".

In the meantime I am making $$$ and having fun.

My mind is telling me: But the company that makes the baseball card is on the stock exchange not the card. Your examples are of collectables whose value has been inflated by the law of supply and demand. Collectors display their purchases and are proud of them, they have a purpose. My baseball cards from the 70's have value because there is a limited supply.

What you are saying is: We have a bunch of people who are buying and selling shares in players on expectations that their value will increase or decrease. We are playing against each other and some of us will win and some of us will lose. (Although the earlier you get in the better)

It is a concept for the 21st century and some of us older guys will have a problem with it. I do find the whole thing intriguing but to me it is nothing but a "chain letter or pyramid" in disguise.

If this thing takes off you could make some serious money. Enjoy!

wowowow, was that a looooong time ago, i remember this as a kid, AMAZING site, absolutely loved it

$52 for zambrano....for christs sake :mellow:

just took a quick look at it.. seems like a very big joke to me.

as someone already mentioned this si nothing like baseball cards. baseball cards continually gain value as time goes by. there are always collectors out there wiling to pay top dollar for something to add to their collection. Even if no one else values the particular item.

what this site seems to be doing is just putting names of players and teams out there and letting people bid real money on them based on their popularity. sure it seems like the same thing as the stock market but in theory on the stock market, educated buys can make everyone winners. With this, not so much. those playing are simply taking each others money as well as giving this website some money for each trade.

it would be like the guys running FFtoday making a database where we could buy and sell shares of ourselves.

there are always collectors out there wiling to pay top dollar for something to add to their collection. Even if no one else values the particular item.

That is exactly what the market is. Except instead of getting a "worthless" piece of cardboard you get a "worthless" electronic share. It is the digital age, paper is old school. Even money will eventually be entirely electronic. Anyone can duplicate the sports exchange just like anyone can manufacture a baseball card. Topps isn't the only card manufacturer. It is all about being the first and building the best brand. You buy a share of Farve now and 20 years from now you own an original issue Farve share from the original sports stock exchange.

This market could fold tomorrow or it could be the next big thing. Who knows.

That is exactly what the market is. Except instead of getting a "worthless" piece of cardboard you get a "worthless" electronic share. It is the digital age, paper is old school. Even money will eventually be entirely electronic. Anyone can duplicate the sports exchange just like anyone can manufacture a baseball card. Topps isn't the only card manufacturer. It is all about being the first and building the best brand. You buy a share of Farve now and 20 years from now you own an original issue Farve share from the original sports stock exchange.

not exactly. also as someone pointed out the companies that make the baseball cards would be listed on the stock exchange, not the cards themselves. A collector who wants a certain card for his collection buys the tangable item. In this sports stock exchange game there is no tanagable item.

while i agree money may eventually be entirely electronic, there will always be tangable items to purchase with that money.

idk, this just seems like a rather large scam to me

not exactly. also as someone pointed out the companies that make the baseball cards would be listed on the stock exchange, not the cards themselves. A collector who wants a certain card for his collection buys the tangable item. In this sports stock exchange game there is no tanagable item.

while i agree money may eventually be entirely electronic, there will always be tangable items to purchase with that money.

idk, this just seems like a rather large scam to me

You are not grasping the concept of a digital asset. There are going to be collectors of non-tangible digital items. It is new but that is the way the world is evolving. Even Topps now makes eBaseballcards.

You are not grasping the concept of a digital asset. It is new but that is the way the world is evolving. Even Topps now makes eBaseballcards.

mm its just that i don't see how this compares to baseball cards really..

if one wants to say its a smaller version of the actual stock market in which case values of players and teams rise and fall based largely on public perception then sure i will buy that.

even an ebaseball card I would assume can be printed out into something tangable and I also assume even ebaseball cards are only offered in a limited supply making certain cards more valuable. neither factor relates to this sportsmarket.

id also like to add that with baseball or ebaseball cards you pay a flat fee, you open your cards and maybe you get something of value. you can't really dictate the value of what you get. it is mostly dictated by the company who chooses to produce X amount of cards, the players for how they perform over their career and the few people who may be willing to pay crazy prices for such items. In a stock market type idea, those buying stock can dictate the flow of the market as well as the price of stock.

mm its just that i don't see how this compares to baseball cards really..

if one wants to say its a smaller version of the actual stock market in which case values of players and teams rise and fall based largely on public perception then sure i will buy that.

even an ebaseball card I would assume can be printed out into something tangable and I also assume even ebaseball cards are only offered in a limited supply making certain cards more valuable. neither factor relates to this sportsmarket.

You are on the right track. It is a stock market where collectibles are bought and sold and there is a limited supply for each player. For example stock was issued on Farve in the IPO and if you want to own Farve you buy it from someone else. Collectors are going to want to own Farve and as time goes by he should be worth more.

In 20 years from now kids will not be printing out their ecards. They will be in the school yard transferring them back and forth to each other on their PDA. They will be laughing about how grandpa use to keep his baseball cards on cardboard.

You have to look forward on the digital asset concept. A collectible asset does not have to be tangible.

You are on the right track. It is a stock market where collectibles are bought and sold and there is a limited supply for each player. For example stock was issued on Farve in the IPO and if you want to own Farve you buy it from someone else. Collectors are going to want to own Farve and as time goes by he should be worth more.

In 20 years from now kids will not be printing out their ecards. They will be in the school yard transferring them back and forth to each other on their PDA. They will be laughing about how grandpa use to keep his baseball cards on cardboard.

You have to look forward on the digital asset concept. A collectible asset does not have to be tangible.

well im only my early 20's so I am pretty familiar with how most everything is becomming digital. and i am a business/finance major tho that doesn't matter much as the market and stocks are not all that hard to understand.

you are correct a collectible asset does not have to be tanagible, however it always has to have the option to be tangible. The way in which collectibles might be traded in the future is really irrelevent. They are items you own. When you purchase a stock you only own a portion of a company. In this case you are owning a portion of brett favre, or the yankees. You certainly can't trade physical pieces of those things.

with baseball cards or collectibles of any kind, there are a limited supply. no matter how many packs you buy you can't influence the worth of the "rare" cards. In the stock market or in this game you can influence the market based on your purchase decisions.

also unless im just misunderstanding how this site works, players will not be worth mor as time goes by like collectibles. Their worth is similar to companies on the stock market. It is based mainly on their performance.

well im only my early 20's so I am pretty familiar with how most everything is becomming digital. and i am a business/finance major tho that doesn't matter much as the market and stocks are not all that hard to understand.

you are correct a collectible asset does not have to be tanagible, however it always has to have the option to be tangible. The way in which collectibles might be traded in the future is really irrelevent. They are items you own. When you purchase a stock you only own a portion of a company. In this case you are owning a portion of brett favre, or the yankees. You certainly can't trade physical pieces of those things.

with baseball cards or collectibles of any kind, there are a limited supply. no matter how many packs you buy you can't influence the worth of the "rare" cards. In the stock market or in this game you can influence the market based on your purchase decisions.

also unless im just misunderstanding how this site works, players will not be worth mor as time goes by like collectibles. Their worth is similar to companies on the stock market. It is based mainly on their performance.

On field performance will influence value. Some players will be worthless. Others that go on to have Hall of Fame careers will maintain value even after they retire. In a real stock market some companies survive and others go bankrupt. You have to pick the winners.

The stock market and baseball card analogies are not perfect and I am not saying this sports market is going to work. I am just laying out the concept behind it.

this is probably the best example i can give for why the stock market is nothing like collectibles.

20 years from now when brett favre finally retires :overhead: the football card you have or any other brett favre collectible will still be worth alot and their value will most likely continue to grow.

now lets pretend in 20 years Apple goes under, ceases to be a company and therefore is no longer publicly traded. The "original" shares you had in Apple are now worthless. Collectibles have a worth egardless of time. Not true with stocks.

I know your not saying this sports stock exchange is a great concept and im really not trying to argue specifically with you. Im just trying to show how collectibles (be it sports cards or not) is not an accurate analogy to the stock market.

Now with that said, this sports stock market could very well work completely like the real stock market does but if you are telling me that players will have worth, even after they retire or maybe even after they die? then no its not even the same as the actual market. Performance is too great of a factor in the actual market.

so in the end I have no idea what to make of this new concept other than i don't predict it lasts long.

If you don't see the difference between these two you are a perfect candidate for these "Virtual Assets".

In 20 years from now kids will not be printing out their ecards. They will be in the school yard transferring them back and forth to each other on their PDA. They will be laughing about how grandpa use to keep his baseball cards on cardboard.You have to look forward on the digital asset concept. A collectible asset does not have to be tangible.

And the cards they are laughing at will be worth 1000 times more than the data bytes they are sending back and forth.

This whole concept of “Virtual Assets” is like "The Emperor's New Clothes".

If players in the NFL were actually items of investment in the sense that an individual is actually buying 'royalty' rights on a percentage of the monetary gains of players then you might be able to make a case that this is akin to a market. However, think, who was actually releasing the 'IPO'? To make a better analogy, it would be as if I, with no connection to Apple, started selling shares I printed out on my computer of Apple and declared their value to rise and fall based on the success of the real company.

This IS a pyramid scheme of the worst kind. Its not comparable, for example, to electronic assets like the items you see sold on ebay for online games because there is a functional market backing it. Enough people demand the good for its intrinsic qualities in of itself (even if they dont have any physical manifestation) that it gains value. Sure some people are trading simply to make a profit, but there needs to be a fundamental value to the good.

In this there is no functional market since EVERYONE putting their money into it, are doing so, as someone else mentioned, out of the hopes of making a profit by someone else outspending them. Noone believes that these 'shares' (electronic or paper) have any value in of themselves.

good last two posts.

Your contention that "t is the digital age, paper is old school" is off-base. You may be right about that in a general sense in that we have generally shifted further towards electronic transactions and away from handling the actual paper money. But even those electronic transactions tie back to a tangible asset outside of the "Matrix" in the real world. Those electronic actions just take the place of the paper-pushing of the physical goods that ARE still stored in a vault or a safe-deposit box somewhere. It's just a means of representing those physical assets in a way that makes handling it easier.

There IS no tangible asset in the real world here. The collectibles analogy doesn't work because there isn't a tie to a similar physical item that can be displayed or shown off to your friends - it makes some sense to pay a premium if you care about showing such things off for ego, for instance. The stock market analogy doesn't work because the "stock asset" will perform the same regardless of whether someone "invests" in it or not. In the stock market, if people start selling and price of a stock goes down, then changes are made by the Board/CEO/etc. to reverse the slide in price...the price they see on the market has a direct impact on how they do business and handle their real-world assets. The goal is to conduct their real-world business and manage their real-world assets in a way that leads to profitability and increased price of the shares.

TO's not going to "try extra hard" next week to improve his route-running because he sees his price slip from $45 down to $29 and he needs to reverse the price decline.

LMAO... Answer me this... How can someone who is not Kobe Bryant, sell stock in Kobe Bryant and make money of his name, likeness, intellectual property etc etc? Anyone putting money into this, has lost their mind. It may be okay now, but as soon as the actual athletes realize that someone is making money off of their identities, this will fold faster then a lawn chair. You know what happens when rich people with rich lawyers start suing companies like this? They take all the money and close up shop... Trust me, I know!