Sign in to follow this  
moviedude25

Keeper league in 2009 need opinions who to keep

The owner of Steve Smith (Carolina WR) posted a league wide notice last night that he was on the trading block and wanted a good RB in return for him. I pinged him this morning and offered him Benard Berrian and Willie Parker for him. I'm waiting for an answer if he's interested in this offer but I'm having second thoughts about doing the trade even if he wants to do it.

In our league Berrian is outscoring Smith by a couple of points. FWP is averging more then 15 points per game this year. I want Steve Smith because this is a keeper league. I consider Smith top 3 WR's in the league and an upgrade over Berrian. I went big on the offer to make the other owner agree to the deal. Now I am having second thoughts. Here's the rub:

Berrian will cost me my 13th round draft pick next year to keep him

Smith will cost me my 2nd round draft pick next year to keep him

I am pretty much out of the playoffs this year so I don't mind losing Parker. I think losing him hurts my teams chances this year and actually think that's not a bad thing. The more games I lose the higher my draft position. Throwing in Parker is putting the trade over the top and if I were trying to win I wouldn't do it. I know that's kinda stupid but this team is in 8th position out of 10 teams and only the top 4 teams get into the playoffs, I'm not getting there. I know I'm giving up too much in this trade but that's done on purpose.

The question I have about the trade is whether or not Steve Smith is worth a second round pick next year and is better value over keeping Berrian who will cost me a 13th round pick next year? Which would you rather have?

Steve Smith with no second round pick in the 2009 draft but have 13th round pick

Benard Berrian with no 13th round pick in the 2009 draft but have 2nd round pick

I am not keeping Parker as I have Slaton who I can keep for a 14th round pick and Parker would cost me a second. So he is a non factor. I also do not have a 3rd round draft pick next year as that is reserved for Tony Romo. So if I do this trade I will not have a 2nd or a 3rd. But I would have potentially a top 5 QB and top 5 WR next season. Should I do this trade?

Tough one. It depends a bit on who you project will be available in those first few rounds. Are players who were taken in the first or second this year eligible to be kept, or do they go back into the pool--i.e., can you hold Berrian for a 13th because he was taken in the 13th, or was he taken in, say, the 15th, and there's a 2-round gap for keeping? Berrian for a 13th rounder is tremendous value since he will probably be a top 15-20 wideout pick next season. If you can get someone like Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, or Fitz in the first or second because they can't be kept, it might be worth holding Berrian so you can be using the likes of your 4th, 5th, 6th round picks on filling out your depth and taking a few risks with RBs.

Tough one. It depends a bit on who you project will be available in those first few rounds. Are players who were taken in the first or second this year eligible to be kept, or do they go back into the pool--i.e., can you hold Berrian for a 13th because he was taken in the 13th, or was he taken in, say, the 15th, and there's a 2-round gap for keeping? Berrian for a 13th rounder is tremendous value since he will probably be a top 15-20 wideout pick next season. If you can get someone like Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, or Fitz in the first or second because they can't be kept, it might be worth holding Berrian so you can be using the likes of your 4th, 5th, 6th round picks on filling out your depth and taking a few risks with RBs.

The rules of the league are like this:

Each team only keeps 3 players and is only allowed to keep 1 player per position (can't keep 2 RB's etc.). Draft would be a normal serpentine style with the worst team going 1st and so forth with keepers sprinkled in. If you keep a player he costs you last years draft position +1 round, so since Smith was drafted in round 3 in 2008 he would cost a second rounder this year to keep. 10 team league.

So say I was last in the league in 2008, I would be team 10 and get the 1st pick in the 2009 draft. If I choose to keep either my 2008 first round or 2008 second round picks that player would be my first round pick in 2009. If I didn't choose to keep my 2008 first or second round picks Team 10 would pick from all of the availible players in the league. Thirty players are keepers in the league and off the board before draft starts. If I kept Steve Smith my 2nd round pick would be Steve Smith at pick 20. Team 10 would fall like this

Pick 1 - Team 10 (either 2008 first or second round keeper or 1st from rest of players in the league)

Pick 2 - Team 9

Pick 3 - Team 8

Pick 4 - Team 7

Pick 5 - Team 6

Pick 6 - Team 5

Pick 7 - Team 4

Pick 8 - Team 3

Pick 9 - Team 2

Pick 10 - Team 1

Pick 11 - Team 1

Pick 12 - Team 2

Pick 13 - Team 3

Pick 14 - Team 4

Pick 15 - Team 5

Pick 16 - Team 6

Pick 17 - Team 7

Pick 18 - Team 8

Pick 19 - Team 9

Pick 20 - Steve Smith

Keeper picks are penciled into draft slots where they fall.

Smith hands down. Have you seen what this guy has done year after year with Delhomme. He missed the first 2 games witht he suspension but has been great every week and keeps getting better with every game.