Sign in to follow this  
b.j. booker

Bottom line...will Palmer play this year?

Does Fitzgerald have more value than palmer at this point?

You still have Palmer on your team? :unsure: Keeper?

Mort wrote Palmer's obituary weeks ago. I think this bloggers headline says it all:

"Carson Palmer Won't Play Against Steelers, Bengals Hope to Have Him for Playoff Run"

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/18/carson-...-have/#comments

:overhead:

You still have Palmer on your team? :unsure: Keeper?

Mort wrote Palmer's obituary weeks ago. I think this bloggers headline says it all:

"Carson Palmer Won't Play Against Steelers, Bengals Hope to Have Him for Playoff Run"

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/18/carson-...-have/#comments

:overhead:

I have him in a keeper league. I will probably get rid of him though. I don't understand why the Bengals don't declare him out for the year... What are they doing?

You know what's strange about this... he's been all over the country looking for opinions on his elbow, while one of the best doctors in sports is right here in Cincinnati. The Reds team doctor does Tommy John surgeries all the time on players from other teams.

You'd think that the Bungles would demand some type of exploratory surgery to find out what the hell is wrong instead of letting him fly all over the place having doctor after doctor try to make sense of his MRI.

It's almost like he knows that something major is wrong (other than a torn elbow ligament). The rumor around town is that the injury could be career threatening, and Doc. Tim Kremchek is the grim reaper. ;)

Palmer speaks :pointstosky:

Monday, November 24, 2008, 03:07 PM EST [bengals]

Carson Palmer said on Monday that his elbow was improving and that he would start throwing again on Dec. 7, but surgery is still an option on his injured right elbow.

Palmer said he expects to throw on the day of the Bengals game at Indianapolis for a couple of days after that to test his elbow and then determine from there if he needs ulnar collateral ligament surgery, better known as "Tommy John" surgery.

"If the tendon and the ligament doesn't heal and doesn't fasten itself back down on the bone, then I'm assuming it's going to be surgery," Palmer said on Monday. "But I'm not going to make any definitive comment on that until I've gotten to that point and talked to the doctors."

Dec. 7 with be exactly nine weeks since the last time Palmer threw, Oct. 5 at Dallas. He initially injured the elbow in the Sept. 21 at the Giants.

Palmer said he's been rehabbing his elbow and feels good.

"I'm going to start throwing Dec. 7, that's been the timeline since the get-go and then evaluate it once I've thrown for a couple of days and we'll see where it is," Palmer said.

If it's not OK, there's still the process of surgery. Palmer said he'd likely be back for training camp if he underwent the surgery after Dec. 7.

"It's kind of up in the air, it's a lot like the knee surgery, some doctors are saying eight months, some are saying 12, some are saying 16 (for the knee)," Palmer said. "Fortunately I came back in somewhere around eight. Tommy John surgery is about the same, the only problem is it's kind of unknown, there's not a lot of quarterbacks that have had it. Typically baseball players take eight months and I think my recovery would be faster, because professional pitchers don't have the same stresses, the same forces on their elbows that quarterbacks do. "

Palmer wouldn't be throwing curveballs, but the surgery is nowhere near as common in football as it is in baseball. Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme suffered an elbow injury in the team's third game last season (same as Palmer) on Sept. 23, had surgery less than a month later (Oct. 18). Delhomme threw on the side as early as April, then during the summer and was completely ready for training camp. Palmer said he's talked to Delhomme already.

"His is a little bit of a different situation. Long story short, he had the surgery, it was successful, he's back and practicing and is as accurate and has as powerful of an arm as he had before he tore it," Palmer said. "There has been a successful surgery and that's what I’m hoping for."

That's if he has the surgery. The best-case scenario, Palmer said, is that the ligament and tendon have reattached themselves to the bone and he will be able to throw on Dec. 7 and beyond and even play this season.

That leads to the obvious question -- why?

"Because I'm sick of watching, no other reason than that," Palmer said. "When it comes down to it, it's not my decision, it's this organization’s decision. I'm a football player, I want to play football. I don't want to watch. I don't want to be second-, third-, fourth-string. I want to play. If we haven't won a game or won all our games, I just get bored watching. I'm not used to it and I don't want to get used to it. I don't want to be OK with it because that's not the player I am."

Link

After what - ten weeks? - Palmer and the Bengals finally admits that he has an elbow injury.

Even though I'm a Steeler fan, I'll be happy when that entire sh*tpile of the Bengals organization is cleaned out. Hopefully this season will be the impetus to do that.