Sign in to follow this  
Normie32r

Bonus Points

Brand new to the Compiler and Draft Buddy, but I love it already.

My question is, what is the best way to account for bonuses? My league awards points for 10 points for a QB that passes for 250 yards (I will get back to that later), 10 points for a RB that runs for 100, and 10 points for a WR that catches for 100 yards, and 7 points for a TE that catches 70 yards. They get no yardage points if below and additional if they get over.

I entered this as 1 point for every 10 yards for the RB's for example. By doing this it skews the guys who inevitably run for 99 yards a game. Is there some kind of work around using the 100 yard game category to more accurately show this?

Also, if there is a workaround or fix for this, can I change the QB value from 300 yard games to 250 yard games??

Thanks for the help in advance.

:rolleyes:

Hi Normie. We run into a bit of an issue with scoring systems that use what I call a tiered system with points scored at varying levels of yardage (non-linear) rather than 1 per 10 or 25 all the way through starting from 0. The problem with this is we need to somehow estimate what the yardage is going to be in every game for the year. This would be a near impossible task to do it with any degree of accuracy. The season stat projections are tough enough as it is, I don't want to send Krueger over the edge :thumbsup:

So what can we do here? Basically we want to estimate the scoring as close as possible. The scoring we added this year - milestone games of 300/100/100 can help, perhaps. What is your scoring after a player hits the milestones you use?

You can change the 300 yards passing game scoring to 250, or 100 to 70 receiving for TE, but there is a little work involved. Basically what you need to do is go through the projections and update them to the new levels. So if we had Culpepper to expect 5 300+ yard games, you should just overwrite the 5 to a new number, but it should be 5 or higher.

Then change the scoring on the scoring tab to reflect the new milestones.

Ok, here is how it is

QB - 10 points for 250 - 1 point for each 10 after that

RB - 10 points for 100 - 1 point for each 10 after that

WR - 10 points for 100 - 1 point for each 10 after that

TE - 7 points for 70 - 1 point for each 10 after that

They also score basically the same way for out of position

QB - 5 for points for 50 yds rush - 1 for 10 after that

RB - 5 for 50 rec or pass - 1 for 10 after that

WR & TE - same as RB

Sorry Normie. I totally scanned right over this earlier today when I was doing the rounds.

This is a tough one, no doubt about that. For RB and WR, I'm tempted to say 1 for 10. Now, I realize they don't get any points if they don't break 100...

So, what if we took the number of games we project each player to break 100 yards, and deduct it from 16 to get games where player will not break 100. And deduct 10 points for each of these? Nah, something wrong with that I think.

Maybe 10 per 250 QB passing, 10 per 100 RB rushing and WR receiving, and 7 per 70 for TE is the way to go as a starting point. Now, this will overstate the yardage. What is the liklihood of a player hitting the minimums? Probably less than 50/50, but let's say 50/50 for ease. How about cutting the scoring in half then?

QB passing: 5 per 250

RB rushing: 5 per 100

WR receiving: 5 per 100

TE receiving: 3.5 per 70

This way even though they are receiving fewer points than they should for games they hit the milestone, they are getting some points for games they would not hit the milestone. It will even out depending on the 50-50 assumption.

Overall I think that gives us a good estimate of yardage points for your league. Similar analysis would work for the other categories.

Thanks for the help, but I already started adding scoring categories for 250, 300, 350, 400 passing games and 50, 100 rushing yards for QB. If you'd like to incorporate this in the next version I can e-mail this to you if you'd like. It's gonna be a headache for the next couple of days, but I think the results will look very good!

If you are adding columns to the position tabs you might (stress: might) run into trouble Compiling the cheatsheets. If you can add them in, then great. One of the benefits of the Compiler being in Excel is people can add custom stuff if they like. Just wanted to throw out that caution though.

What kind of trouble would you be referring to? I have not had a problem yet. I saved an original copy just in case...