Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

Eagles off-season discussion

...and here's what the Eagles had to say about Sheldon Brown's trade request.

"It's very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation. After thorough evaluation by himself and discussions with his family and agents, he chose to accept an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. It removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about. He has four years remaining on that contract and, after taking the signing bonus and his first two years of salary into account, we feel that Sheldon is being paid fairly. Focusing only on a player's salary for a given year is not a valid analysis.

"There have been league MVP's, Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, and perennial Pro Bowlers who have been in a similar situation. All of their teams have required them to wait until their contract expired or there was only one year remaining before any adjustment took place. It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last 10 years that any players two new years into a contract with four years left have been adjusted. We don't think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

"Sheldon's comments under the circumstances actually serve to devalue him in a trade if we were willing to consider it, which we are not."

I didn't know he had 4 years left on his deal. I'd be pointing a finger at my agent if I were him, not the Eagles.

As much as I feel the arrogance that comes across from the Eagles FO, I can't really fault them in this instance.

No one told Sheldon to sign that long term deal back in 2004. He did it because it did give him the long term security he desired (at the risk of getting a better deal along the way).

What he needs to do is go out this year and play like a Pro Bowl cornerback. Frankly, he's good, but not good enough to be throwing around demands for a new deal/trade.

What they could do is move him to safety and really fock him up. Only then would that justify what he's currently getting paid (there was talk at some point of moving him over but he wasn't interested because corners make alot more than safeties in the NFL).

I don't know what he's getting paid, but with 4 years left on a deal, why'd he sign one that long to begin with? If he's ridiculously underpaid, than I understand the gripe. But my guess is he's got a pretty fair average per year salary over the length of the contract.

The thing bugging me about the Eagles though is that I've heard more than once Omar Gaither lost his starting job due to the fact he didn't accept an extension the Eagles offered him. Once he turned it down they supposedly decided Akeem Jordan will get a shot instead.

Some say that's why Lito Sheppard couldn't get on the field as even the Eagles nickel back at times last season. Although I'm not as sure about that one. Can't recall if he was banged up and dropped down the depth chart during the year as a result or not.

If the stuff about Gaither is true though, that's kinda weak. Hard to believe the Eagles would base a decision like that though soley on the fact Gaither didn't accept the extension they wanted to give him. And to be fair, there had been a lot of high praise for Akeem Jordan in each of the last two offseasons I believe.

Eagles pursuing Tony Gonzalez?

The buzz about the Chiefs resuming their attempts to trade veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez has restarted, and it sounds as if the Eagles might have nosed ahead of the Falcons as the most likely trade partner.

Philly is thought to be willing to give up a third-rounder for Gonzalez. But Kansas City is seeking at least a second-round pick for a player it considers a future Hall of Famer, and may not be willing to bear the brunt of any criticism that could come if it's perceived to have given away Gonzalez too cheaply.

The Eagles were mentioned as a possible trade partner with the Chiefs for Gonzalez as the trade deadline approached last year too, so I guess their interest in him is genuine.

Given how the Eagles usually do things, I'm surprised they are really in the hunt for Gonzalez. I can't see them giving up a second rounder for him though. I'm surprised they are even willing to offer their third. Not because Gonzo isn't worth it, but because the Eagles usually shy away from older vets - and because they have a young TE that's showed some promise already in Brent Celek.

Eagles pursuing Tony Gonzalez?

The Eagles were mentioned as a possible trade partner with the Chiefs for Gonzalez as the trade deadline approached last year too, so I guess their interest in him is genuine.

Given how the Eagles usually do things, I'm surprised they are really in the hunt for Gonzalez. I can't see them giving up a second rounder for him though. I'm surprised they are even willing to offer their third. Not because Gonzo isn't worth it, but because the Eagles usually shy away from older vets - and because they have a young TE that's showed some promise already in Brent Celek.

How many years are left on Gonzalez's contract and at what amount? If it just a year or two, at a reasonable amount then it makes a lot of sense for the Eagles. They are not tied into a long-term contract, they get quality depth at the position, and Gonzalez maybe able to impart some wisdom to the up-and-coming tight end which is Celek. I think a 3rd round pick would be a reasonable price, and if you had to add something, give up one of your extra 5th round picks, rather than giving up a 2nd round pick by itself.

Dang, now this report is out there...

Source: Eagles Shopping Shawn Andrews

Less than two months after signing the brother of guard Shawn Andrews to a big-money free-agent deal and less than a week after trading for his college roommate at Arkansas (Jason Peters) and signing Peters to a big-money deal, the Philadelphia Eagles are dangling Shawn Andrews.

A league source tells us that the Eagles have contacted at least one team about moving the enigmatic Pro Bowl guard.

The thinking was that the arrival of Stacy Andrews and Jason Peters would have helped get Shawn Andrews rejuvenated. Recently, it has been speculated that Shawn Andrews now isn’t happy with his own contract, in light of the monster deals paid to his brother and his friend.

Hard to believe they'd be looking to move him, but apparently there is talk about it.

It is amazing how these guys see things. Andrews is coming off a year in which he got paid his full salary to basically do nothing, and he is supposedly unhappy with his contract. If he has a great year this year and is an all pro, maybe he at least has the right to say he is being underpaid. Until then just keep your mouth shut and show everyone you deserve the big bucks.

I guess I'm batting near .500, if they bring Weaver in.

If the Birds decide not to go with the TE from Oklahoma, I would definitely be looking at Curtis or Wilcox at TE. Both are solid players in their own right.

I see them taking McCoy out of Pitt in the draft, having him back-up Westbrook, with Booker somehow managing to stay on the roster (always nice to have a decent backup kick/punt return guy).

:overhead: