Sign in to follow this  
KPossible

Mac issue from last year?

Have you had any luck porting the macros over to script after last year's discovery that the Excel version in Office 2008 for Mac wouldn't run CC/DB? I kept my old Excel from Office X for Mac, just in case. :thumbsup:

I'm glad you kept it, because no, we didn't have any luck. Many, many hours were spent on various ideas but none worked out. Eventually the Compiler and Buddy are going to have to come out of Excel completely to get the best cross-platform compatibility, but for this year, we are mostly in the same position as last year. Sorry Mac Office 2008 users.

Thanks for the update! No worries - that's the whole reason I kept the program, just for CC/DB, just in case. Supposedly MS is going to put the macros back in with a future update, but no idea how far off that is.

I would think at least a couple more years, long after we've all dealt with it as best we can it won't be worth it to go back.

-Is it ONLY for Mac Office 2008? I have an older version of Mac Office (2003, I think) so I'm trying to see if there will be an issue with it.

-Can you download the software on 2 computers (1 home and 1 office)? And if you can, can I email updated files between computers or would I have to go own and make the changes independently on both computers?

Hi J. Did you not get the email response I sent you earlier? In case you didn't, and for the benefit of everyone, here are the answers to your questions:

1. There is no issue with Mac Office 2003. Only with Mac 2008 did Microsoft decide to strip out Visual Basic, which results in the macros not working in either the Compiler or Draft Buddy, which pretty much makes them useless on that system. But, you are a-okay.

2. You can download on each computer, but you're right, if you keep separate copies you would have to input and update everything twice. There is one file for the Compiler, and one file for Buddy, so it is probably easier to transfer them between computers. They are a bit big but not impossible to email across. Another option is to get a zip drive and work with them right off that, for easy transfer and also you don't have to keep remembering which is the most recent version that you saved.

Hi J. Did you not get the email response I sent you earlier? In case you didn't, and for the benefit of everyone, here are the answers to your questions:

1. There is no issue with Mac Office 2003. Only with Mac 2008 did Microsoft decide to strip out Visual Basic, which results in the macros not working in either the Compiler or Draft Buddy, which pretty much makes them useless on that system. But, you are a-okay.

2. You can download on each computer, but you're right, if you keep separate copies you would have to input and update everything twice. There is one file for the Compiler, and one file for Buddy, so it is probably easier to transfer them between computers. They are a bit big but not impossible to email across. Another option is to get a zip drive and work with them right off that, for easy transfer and also you don't have to keep remembering which is the most recent version that you saved.

Thanks, Mike. You're reply probably went to my spam folder for my work email and I haven't had a chance to check it this evening. Thanks for the quick reply. Good news about being okay for Mac 2003, I think I'm going to try this thing out this year. Sounds like you have a lot of happy customers.

Another question - Can you add "custom" tabs in the program? I like to have separate sheets for my "sleeper" guys I want to keep an eye on or just rookies.

If you want to add a tab that is probably fine and won't conflict with anything, but do not delete a tab (even hiding I'm not sure about) as eventually when you run a macro it will go looking for all the tabs that are in there currently.

If you want to add a tab that is probably fine and won't conflict with anything, but do not delete a tab (even hiding I'm not sure about) as eventually when you run a macro it will go looking for all the tabs that are in there currently.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, ANY Mac version of Excel prior to 2008 WILL work?

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, ANY Mac version of Excel prior to 2008 WILL work?

Yes, that is correct. We've never had a Mac compatibilty problem in the past (as long as people had Excel) before Mac Office 2008 appeared.

Yep, same issues. I helped Mike test some stuff out last year.

It is all M$. They decided not to support VBA this time around and the macro abilities are limited, but they are planning VB in the next FULL release which is slated for 2011, I think.

There are some third-party plugins to add VBA functionality in Excel08. Google it. But it did not seem worth the effort.

Don't even try Numbers. Excel04 works very well, with some very minor limitations.

Further reading:

http://tr.im/qCmw

anyone know if it works using openoffice (e.g., neooffice)? i heard openoffice has support for VBA.

thanks,

chad

anyone know if it works using openoffice (e.g., neooffice)? i heard openoffice has support for VBA.

thanks,

chad

Hi Chad. I don't believe it does work with Open Office or Neo Office. While they do offer some VB support, I believe it not to the extent that we use it in the Compiler and Draft Buddy to make each of them function. Sorry.