Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Can Stallworth really be charged for Manslaughter here ?

As facts here come to light. The victim in this case ran across the middle of a street trying to catch a bus before it left and got hit.. Apparently this guy ran right in front of Stallworths car.. Could he of reacted quicker and stopped had he not been drinking - yes - would a 1/2 second or less of mattered here is debatable. This happens a lot when people cross a street at night - hence the need for an to use focking crosswalks.

I love folks here wantign the book thrown at Stallworth - how many people here have NEVER driven after a few drinks? If you were sober and a guy ran in front of your car would drinking or not drinking of made a difference? Sorry but of DUI yeah he is guilty and should get punished - of killing a guy -- should be chalked up to a accident as it was more the citims fault than anything. Sad for the guy but still.

What?

Are we talking about the same Stallworth that admitted that he flashed his lights and sounded his horn to let the guy know that he was coming (using his brakes may have been a better idea)? The same guy that was doing 50 in a 40mph zone while driving with a BAC of .126 (far above the .08 legal limit)?

The reason that he only got manslaughter was because he had no prior record and because the victim may have contributed to the circumstances. Otherwise, Stallworth would have been up sh!t's creek without a paddle.

What?

Are we talking about the same Stallworth that admitted that he flashed his lights and sounded his horn to let the guy know that he was coming (using his brakes may have been a better idea)? The same guy that was doing 50 in a 40mph zone while driving with a BAC of .126 (far above the .08 legal limit)?

The reason that he only got manslaughter was because he had no prior record and because the victim may have contributed to the circumstances. Otherwise, Stallworth would have been up sh!t's creek without a paddle.

Maybe I should read up more :wall:

dammit crosswalks are there for a reason!!! :doublethumbsup: :(

What?

thats what i dont get, Hit the brakes, dont flash ur lights.

and hes still focked

he got 30 days

2 years house arrest

8 years probation

lost his license forever, but can get a conditional license for work.

No doubt in my mind at some point he violates the terms of said probation and does a stretch longer than 30 days

Maybe I should read up more :banana:

dammit crosswalks are there for a reason!!! :doublethumbsup: :lol:

So are DUI laws.

Guilty, guilty, guilty!

<_<

"Can Stallworth really be charged for Manslaughter here?"

If you're asking whether the facts provide the police/DA with a legal basis for charging manslaughter, then the answer clearly is YES. I have not looked at Florida law specifically, but most states have laws that say if you're committing an illegal act and someone dies as a result, you can be charged. It does not matter that you didn't intend for anyone to get hurt -- the legal theory is that if you're doing illegal stuff and someone dies, then your intent to do illegal stuff sweeps in all the results. If the illegal act is a felony (e.g., robbing a bank), and someone dies, then the charge is usually felony murder. If the illegal act is not a felony (e.g., reckless driving), and someone dies, then the charge is usually manslaughter. I think some states even have laws specifically covering DUI/DWI manslaughter.

This can be sort of a controversial area of law. For example, if some guy robs a mini-mart with a plastic water pistol, but the employee behind the counter pulls out a big handgun, starts firing, and kills a bystander, the robber can still be charged with felony murder, even though he did not shoot anyone and even carried a water pistol to make sure no one got hurt. Here, Stallworth might not have intended to hurt anyone, and he might have been trying to be careful, but the bottom line is that he was breaking some serious laws when he got behind the wheel, and he's held responsible for the consequences (even if he did not expect the consequences).

If you're asking whether it's really fair for Stallworth to get charged in light of all the circumstances (e.g., flashing lights, moderately intoxicated, horn beeping, slightly over speed limit, dark outside, etc.), I've got no answer. Each person's opinion is going to be different. That's what the jury would have been deciding if there hadn't been a plea.

Sorry if I gave you more than you really wanted.

thats what i dont get, Hit the brakes, dont flash ur lights.

and hes still focked

he got 30 days

2 years house arrest

8 years probation

lost his license forever, but can get a conditional license for work.

No doubt in my mind at some point he violates the terms of said probation and does a stretch longer than 30 days

What are his actual terms of probation though? Probably something along the lines of "Mr. Stallworth may not watch CSI while masturbating in his sweat socks"