Sign in to follow this  
brewmaster

Take Manning with first pick in 3rd?

I've got #1 pick in our 10 team league (non-ppr). We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 flex, TE, K, DEF. All TD's are worth 4 pts regardless of position. Because of the ability to start 3 RB's using flex, I will likely go with RB at 1.1 and 2.10. At 3.1, however, I am debating on picking up Manning, if available. My thinking is this: although he is unlikely to put up Brady/Brees numbers, he is likely to put up consistently excellent numbers week in and week out, has a very nice schedule this year (including playoff weeks), and seems very likely to be at least top 5 QB by end of year (barring injury of course). If I decide to pass on Manning, I'd likely take Roddy White/Steve Smith/Reggie Wayne, Colston at 3.1 and then wait till 6.10/7.1 or even 8.10/9.1 and grab a Schaub, McNabb, or Ryan. In this case, I'd probably grab a QB at 6.10/7.1 and then another QB at 8.10/9.1 or take 2 QB's back to back at 8.10/9.1

Although I never take a QB early, I like Manning for the reasons above, plus the ability to wait a bit longer on picking up a backup QB while increasing depth at RB/WR.

What do you all think?

Personally I'd rather take one of those WR's. Sure Manning is Mr. Consistant, but if you take two QBs like Ryan and Schaub in the following rounds you can play whoever has the hot matchup and come out just as well if not better. However, the projections of points for the year favor Manning as long as you can get a WR from the next tier in the following round. So if you think you can get a Williams, Cotchery, or Boldin at 4.10 then you should go ahead and take Manning. In otherwords, if you take Manning you'd better hope there's not a run on WRs afterwards.

Please see mine http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=348269

I would pass on Manning and get a Quality reciever . The Qb's you mentioned will not be that far off manning number in the end...

please see mine

smedia

Personally I'd rather take one of those WR's. Sure Manning is Mr. Consistant, but if you take two QBs like Ryan and Schaub in the following rounds you can play whoever has the hot matchup and come out just as well if not better. However, the projections of points for the year favor Manning as long as you can get a WR from the next tier in the following round. So if you think you can get a Williams, Cotchery, or Boldin at 4.10 then you should go ahead and take Manning. In otherwords, if you take Manning you'd better hope there's not a run on WRs afterwards.

Please see mine http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=348269

Playing matchups is generally a bad idea imo. Nothing wrong with taking a QB latter. That is how I prefer it as matter of fact. But when you start playing matchups, you can easily miss out on the big weeks. I learned this with a QB known as Aaron Brooks, use to play with the Saints. That guy would go focking crazy the week I would bench him. The weeks I would start him, he would throw for 150/0. That is just one example. I also understand it is very difficult to not play matchups. Hell, I am saying this now and have known this for many years and yet still catch myself doing it.

The main point of this is that these middle round QBs will most likely all finish with about the same stats by years end.

As far as the OP question, it is hard to say. Depends on how your draft goes. I am a huge wait on your QB kinda guy. However, Manning in the third would be too much for me to pass up.