Sign in to follow this  
IAMWood

liberal vs conservative

liberal -

–adjective 1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.

3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.

4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.

6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.

7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.

8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.

9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.

10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.

11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.

12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.

13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

conservative -

–adjective

1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.

3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.

4. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.

5. (initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.

6. having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.

7. Mathematics. (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.

–noun 8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.

9. a supporter of conservative political policies.

10. (initial capital letter) a member of a conservative political party, esp. the Conservative party in Great Britain.

11. a preservative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to these definitions I am both personally. But most people who say they are conservatives are not, ando call people liberals just to label them something to what they portray as negative without knowing the true meaning. It's funny really, they got all of us bickering back and forth and just pretty taking and doing what they want. Quit being sheep people. Conservatives should be for small government and obviously truly are not, pretty weak, especially how they use religion to get most on their side. Freakin sheep really piss me off.

:thumbsup:

liberal -

–adjective 1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.

3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.

4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.

6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.

7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.

8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.

9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.

10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.

11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.

12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.

13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

conservative -

–adjective

1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.

3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.

4. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.

5. (initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.

6. having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.

7. Mathematics. (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.

–noun 8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.

9. a supporter of conservative political policies.

10. (initial capital letter) a member of a conservative political party, esp. the Conservative party in Great Britain.

11. a preservative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to these definitions I am both personally. But most people who say they are conservatives are not, ando call people liberals just to label them something to what they portray as negative without knowing the true meaning. It's funny really, they got all of us bickering back and forth and just pretty taking and doing what they want. Quit being sheep people. Conservatives should be for small government and obviously truly are not, pretty weak, especially how they use religion to get most on their side. Freakin sheep really piss me off.

:thumbsup:

I don't think its possible for you to contradict yourself any more than you just did. good work numbnuts. :thumbsup:

The United States is a (supposed to be) a Republic that practices Liberalism.

It's a shame that people like FDR and Lyndon Johnson turned Liberalism into Social Liberalism. But on the subject of your post, a liberal by definition is more like a Libertarian than a "Liberal" as we call them today. The difference being that Libertarians still believe in the individual freedoms coupled with economic freedom; meaning that the Government providing social welfare exceeds its role.

Quiz time:

Who is credited as being the philosophical creator of Liberalism?

John Locke. Tis' yet another reason LOST is one of the greatest shows ever. So many "Easter Eggs" and ironies.

The United States is a (supposed to be) a Republic that practices Liberalism.

It's a shame that people like FDR and Lyndon Johnson turned Liberalism into Social Liberalism. But on the subject of your post, a liberal by definition is more like a Libertarian than a "Liberal" as we call them today. The difference being that Libertarians still believe in the individual freedoms coupled with economic freedom; meaning that the Government providing social welfare exceeds its role.

Quiz time:

Who is credited as being the philosophical creator of Liberalism?

John Locke. Tis' yet another reason LOST is one of the greatest shows ever. So many "Easter Eggs" and ironies.

I agree with this post. Also I was wondering this morning, given the current connotations of the words, does anyone call themselves a "liberal" any more? :bandana:

I agree with this post. Also I was wondering this morning, given the current connotations of the words, does anyone call themselves a "liberal" any more? :bandana:

I know ole Ted Kennedy embraced that word. Maxine Waters used that word to describe herself when talking about pulling a Chavez on Big Oil.

"Guess what this liberal would be all about? This liberal will be about socializing...uh, um...Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies."

Bout as far as my mind will allow me to go so far. Not quite awake.