Sign in to follow this  
BigRedFever

Negative Auction Values

I know I have asked this before, but I have a new computer and don't have access to my old emails. I do an auction and always like it to show negative auction values. Even though I can't bid negative, I find it is helpful to see how negative players are (so if I have 6 dollars left and can spend 5 on a RB or WR and they are both worth that, I can see how far below a dollar the remaining RBs and WRs are.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Hey Adam. I don't remember what we did before. Was it something along the lines of unhiding the columns to the right of the cheatsheets to get at the formulas that calculate the auction values? Then take out the part that figures if the calculated value is below the minimum bid it gives it the minimum bid? Does that sound familiar?

Okay, lets see what we can figure out here. Go to the cheatsheets tab in the Compiler, scroll over to the right of the overall cheatsheet. There are a bunch of hidden columns there. Unhide them.

The long list that is used for the overall rankings is from cells CQ8 to DA8 and down many rows. The formula for the auction values is in column DA starting at DA8. It looks like this:

=IF(CZ8="a",MAX(MIN(FLOOR(CX8*$DA$6+$CR$6,$CR$7),$CS$6),$CR$6),$CR$6)

Change it to this:

=MIN(CX8*$DA$6+$CR$6,$CS$6)

Copy and paste that changed formula down for all players in the list. I think that will do it.

That worked great, but when I uploaded the info to Draft Buddy, all of the negative numbers came up as #Num.

Also, when I tried to re-rank kickers (I have not tried others yet) in Draft Buddy it did not seem to work. All of the players names stayed put, all of the numbers in the Rank column reversed (so 32 was on top and 1 was on bottom) and the number in the chg column had the number tied to the right original rank (but the wrong player). So, in my original rankings Kaeding was #1 and Dawson was #32. I made Kaeding 8 and kept Dawson at 32. Now it lists 32, 32 before Kaeding in the top row for kickers and 8, 1 for Dawson in the bottom row. The same issue is true for all of the rows. Any thoughts?

Okay, lets see what we can figure out here. Go to the cheatsheets tab in the Compiler, scroll over to the right of the overall cheatsheet. There are a bunch of hidden columns there. Unhide them.

The long list that is used for the overall rankings is from cells CQ8 to DA8 and down many rows. The formula for the auction values is in column DA starting at DA8. It looks like this:

Change it to this:

Copy and paste that changed formula down for all players in the list. I think that will do it.

That worked great, but when I uploaded the info to Draft Buddy, all of the negative numbers came up as #Num.

Also, when I tried to re-rank kickers (I have not tried others yet) in Draft Buddy it did not seem to work. All of the players names stayed put, all of the numbers in the Rank column reversed (so 32 was on top and 1 was on bottom) and the number in the chg column had the number tied to the right original rank (but the wrong player). So, in my original rankings Kaeding was #1 and Dawson was #32. I made Kaeding 8 and kept Dawson at 32. Now it lists 32, 32 before Kaeding in the top row for kickers and 8, 1 for Dawson in the bottom row. The same issue is true for all of the rows. Any thoughts?

The negative numbers turning into errors... I wonder if that has to do with the inflation setting. Try turning inflation off and see if that makes a difference.

Not sure what would be going on with the re-ranking. Send me your copy of Draft Buddy and I'll try it out. compiler@fftoday.com

Thanks for the offer. I closed everything out and re-uploaded the info into Draft Buddy and everything seems to be working just fine.

The negative numbers turning into errors... I wonder if that has to do with the inflation setting. Try turning inflation off and see if that makes a difference.

Not sure what would be going on with the re-ranking. Send me your copy of Draft Buddy and I'll try it out. compiler@fftoday.com

One more thing. It doesn't do the funky reordering anymore, but I am not sure what it is doing. For the kickers I tested it by just putting a "2" in chg next to Kaeding (who was ranked 1) and a "1" in chg next to Crosby (who was ranked 2). I then hit re-rank kickers. To the left, they are in the same order (but in the chg column you can see the new numbers that I put in). In the lists on the front page (e.g. top ranked kickers available) still has Kaeding #1. Not sure if it is because it is ranking by auction values or something else. I think something more should be happening, but I don't see it. Do I need to re-run something else?

Thanks again.

I think there is some confusion what columns need to change when you are re-ranking players. You don't change anything in the "Chg" column. That won't do anything in terms of re-ranking players. That column is only there to show players that went up/down in the FF Today projections since last time.

For non-auction leagues, the Rank and Tier need to be adjusted to re-rank players.

For auction leagues, the Max Bid needs to be adjusted to re-rank players ... and maybe Tier as well - it might sort by Max Bid first, Tier second. I don't remember for sure off hand, but try changing those columns and then re-rank.

Thanks. That makes sense and explains why I have been getting odd results. Good luck with your drafts and thanks for the help.

I think there is some confusion what columns need to change when you are re-ranking players. You don't change anything in the "Chg" column. That won't do anything in terms of re-ranking players. That column is only there to show players that went up/down in the FF Today projections since last time.

For non-auction leagues, the Rank and Tier need to be adjusted to re-rank players.

For auction leagues, the Max Bid needs to be adjusted to re-rank players ... and maybe Tier as well - it might sort by Max Bid first, Tier second. I don't remember for sure off hand, but try changing those columns and then re-rank.

I downloaded the new version yesterday and wanted to work in the negative auction values. Would it be the same method for the new version?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Change it to this:

I would think the formula would work the same, but the problem is I moved all the old formulas. And now they are hidden on a protected sheet, so you can't get to them. Send me over your copy of the CC/DB and I'll see what I can do.