Sign in to follow this  
cooolbreeze

setting draft positions

Any opinions on how early is too early to set draft positions?

I've been the commish of my league for a few year now and typically, I'll set the draft order for the league one week before the draft, giving people only a week to plan their strategy. This year, my draft is set for August 29th and I'm wondering if there's a reason to wait until the week before or if I should just set the positions now.

Are there any pro and cons to waiting until the week before to find out what spot you're drafting?

As long as every team has the same amount of time to prepare .... I see no difference.

Some people prep more than others no matter what. We always pull our draft order on 4th of July wkend in my main league,about half of us take advantage while the others could not careless until about this time of year . And I think every league has the guy who buys a magazine on the way to the draft when he stops to get beer . lol

The leagues I'm in, we draw fraft positions right before we start. It gives an advantage to us that are prepared. :thumbsup:

The leagues I'm in, we draw fraft positions right before we start. It gives an advantage to us that are prepared. :thumbsup:

I agree with this 100%. For years we had always known our draft spot a few weeks early. Last year I heard this exact point and talked our commish into picking spots the day of the draft. In a 12 team league only about 4-5 of us really do a ton of research and it really showed come draft day. I hope we never go back to knowing our positions early.

For years we drew right before the draft, personally I wasn't a big fan. I like to have a strategy studied before I go. Now that its a keeper league, we go in reverse order of last years standings, so we know at the end of the season, but I would say give everyone a few weeks to think it over.

I disagree with that :pointstosky:

It evens the playing field if you draw positions right before the draft because no one can study for a particular position. The person who has done no mocks and little research is on a level field not knowing your draft position. All you can do is do mocks for every position a bunch of times. For the people, like me, who start research long before the draft knowing your draft position gives you a HUGE edge. I know im in the 8th hole in my league and in another league we dont know.

I like playing in a few different leagues and doing it different in each. :thumbsup:

My league sets ours at our winter meeting after the SB.

We actually set picks only every 2 rnds(serpentine the 2nd rnd) from rnds 16 to 2. Rnd 1 gets its on selection.

Gives it a different twist and not stuck with same position entire draft.

We do it about a month before. Everyone loves the format. Saves you on analysis in the first couple rounds. For example I'm 3 this year. I can scratch at least a dozen RB's, 2 QB's and 2 WR's right off the list that I don't have bother going through the heavy analysis.

Makes it easier knowing your draft position so that you know exactly who to target in what rounds given their ADP.

In my 14-team league we have always set the draft positions right before the draft. I tend to do a lot of research before it, but now I don't know whether it is better for me to know the draft position 1 or 2 days before, a week before or as soon as the draft begins? On the one hand, I do several mock drafts at different spots so I am prepared no matter where I choose while others might not be if they suddenly have to pick first or last. However, I keep thinking that knowing 1 day before might help me since I can set my strategy and focus on particular players. The biggest discrepancy in my strategies is where to select a QB. If my position is is at the end of round 1 then I might choose a QB in rounds 1 or 2. If I select in the middle I might go for a QB in the 3rd round and if I select at the beginning I might go for a QB in round 5.

Should I talk to my league to set up the positions before the draft? How much earlier would benefit me the most?

My league must be out of the norm here, our draft positions are based on reverse order of the previous years reg season finish, with the league champ getting the #12 slot (12 team league). I've never been a fan of the blind draw of draft slots.

My league must be out of the norm here, our draft positions are based on reverse order of the previous years reg season finish, with the league champ getting the #12 slot (12 team league). I've never been a fan of the blind draw of draft slots.

The rich get richer that way!! Id much rather be at #12 then #1.

The rich get richer that way!! Id much rather be at #12 then #1.

True dat, we've currently got a 3-time champ (drafted #12 last 2 years)...albeit last year he rode that Chris Johnson pony.