Sign in to follow this  
Jelly Dragon

Question about Starters/Backups Config

Okay, I've read the info about setting starters in the Help Guide (here) which seems to make sense for one of my leagues but still leaves me questioning how to set up the other. This is my first year with the Cheatsheet Compiler and Draft Buddy so I want to make sure I don't ruin myself by starting off on the wrong foot.

Our league starts the following: QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR/TE, K, IDP (1 QB, 2 or 3 RBs, 1 or 2 WRs, 0 or 1 TEs, 1 K, and 1 IDP). Where I get confused is how to set the numbers in the compiler in order to accurately reflect the roster. Roster size is 14, so here is what I've tried based on what I read for starters and then backups:

QB RB WR TE K O-Flex DEF DL LB DB D-Flex Total
1  2  1  0 1   2     0   0  0  0   1      8
1  3  2  0 0   -     0   0  0  0   -      6

Is this the setup that will toss in the high-end TEs at the appropriate overall rankings with WRs? With the two different flex positions, I'm not sure how the starter/backup numbers work in conjunction with the flex positions. I've flagged RB, WR, TE and DL, LB, DB in the offensive/defensive flex checkboxes; as well as to exclude kickers and defenses in the overall rankings and finally to combine WR and TE. Have I set this up to account for the two different flex spots in our lineup?

Finally, my understanding from the help guide is that the backups are to be used for my intentions on drafting backup players at those positions and not the average roster makeup for all teams in my league. Is that correct?

I'm going to say thanks in advance because I know that you'll respond quickly and completely after first looking around the forums for an answer.

Hi J.D. Thanks for trying out the Compiler this year.

First off, when you are trying to post a table in the forums, try putting some

[ code ][ /code ]

tags around it which then account for the spaces. Just a quick tip there.

Okay, lets get to the heart of the email. I would suggest the following myself:

QB RB  WR  TE K O-Flex DEF DL LB DB D-Flex Total 
1  2   2   0 1   1     0   0  0  0   1      8 
1  2.5 2.5 0 0   -     0   0  0  0   -      6

Check off the Combine WR/TE option, so TE are now grouped with WR. Make sure the scoring box for TE matches the WR (need to put the scoring in both places), and also keep RB, WR and TE all checked for the flex position.

The reason I suggest this way is because you don't need to start a TE, so you might as well group them with the WR. It would be nice to see how exactly they do stack up with the WR rather than having them in separate lists in the positional rankings, plus the overall rankings will work better with them combined rather than over-inflating the TE value.

I realize you can't start 2 TE, but you aren't going to get tripped up by that and suddenly draft 2 TE. There won't be enough good quality TE available for this to occur.

Now the flex is more clear too. Just 1 player, and can be any of RB/WR/TE.

As for the backups, I think I've suggested both methods over the years. It isn't going to have a significant impact on the overall rankings, and really, I find the backups I would typically use is going to be pretty close to the league average anyway.

You might want to switch your backups from 3 RB and 2 WR to 2.5 RB and 2.5 WR. RB and WR will be valued a little closer together, and by putting .5/.5 between those two spots, you are essentially telling yourself you are leaving your options open to grab the best player on the board between those positions for that last backup spot.