Sign in to follow this  
Sportslitter

ESPN ADP vs. FF Calculator ADP

What ADP list do you use? I've used FF Calculator the past two years, but looking at their ADPs and then looking at ESPN's it's like night and day.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/livedraftresults

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php

ESPN has Brees at 5, FFC at 12

ESPN has Moreno at 26, FFC at 45

ESPN has Grant at 15, FFC at 26

It's like this for a ton of players... how can they be so far off?

ESPN ADP chart is based on actual drafts. Since it is still early and most drafts haven't taken place then maybe these numbers are a bit skewed. As for FFC it is based on mock drafts where drafters tend to be more patient and don't reach as much. I say use ADP cautiously and stick to the one you feel better reflects your views on the players. Also take note of the players that you are trying to get and use the highest ADP between these two lists to make sure you get those players.

My guess is that ESPN's is probably more reflective of the average fantasy league, particularly since it appears to come from real drafts instead of mocks. If you're on FFC doing mock drafts, you're probably already in a pretty focused subset of the fantasy community, whereas a lot of ESPN drafts include far more casual ff players.

My guess is that ESPN's is probably more reflective of the average fantasy league, particularly since it appears to come from real drafts instead of mocks. If you're on FFC doing mock drafts, you're probably already in a pretty focused subset of the fantasy community, whereas a lot of ESPN drafts include far more casual ff players.

I agree with this.

My guess is that a lot of those guys drafting on ESPN are just going by the ESPN rankings and not their own cheat sheet (which is what I use). This leads them to select guys that are remaining high up on the ESPN list rather than maybe a guy who's FFC adp says he should go there....

my guess is ESPN's rankings are swaying the adp of certain players, so if you are on an ESPN league where your league mates may be using those rankings you may need to go with that.

I agree with this.

My guess is that a lot of those guys drafting on ESPN are just going by the ESPN rankings and not their own cheat sheet (which is what I use). This leads them to select guys that are remaining high up on the ESPN list rather than maybe a guy who's FFC adp says he should go there....

my guess is ESPN's rankings are swaying the adp of certain players, so if you are on an ESPN league where your league mates may be using those rankings you may need to go with that.

Rather than going with it, use it to your advantage. I plan to use my own cheat sheet (adjusted FFC), and look for values when I can get them. If I see a handful of players ranked above guys I like better, I'll hope most of my league mates will go with the ESPN rankings and let guys fall to me. I've gotten Malcolm Floyd cheap because you have to go looking for him, he doesn't readily pop up. Ahmad Bradshaw is another (though I bet he's on a few more radars). Now, if you're fixated on a player, and you think more of your league than not will be using the ESPN pre-set rankings, then you might have to reach for him. For me, I'll find the value when the others are doing the reaching.