Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

2010 Champions ... how did you win it?

I went:

1.11 Randy Moss

2.2 Aaron Rodgers

3.11 Jamal Charles

So ... 2 out of 3. First round bust, was a lotta those this year, coulda been an RB ... Grant ... Moss was worse because you were still tempted to start him. He killed me, I hate him. Drafted MSW too and I waived him for Mike Thomas, which in a kick return league, turned out to be huge. Colston, my 4th round pick was less than reliable. I started the season 0-1.

Big waiver pickup for me ... was Vick. I had Rodgers but he was kinda banged up, so I waived Dexter McCluster for Vick. Every year someone is gonna need a QB. I traded Rodgers and kept Vick playing Carson Palmer and Matt Stafford off the waiver wire until Vick came back. Both those QBs outscored Rodgers in my league, those 2 weeks. But the best part was ... the player I traded with, played me week 10. Green Bay bye week. I also traded him Darren Sproles ... bye week 10 ... and almost got him to take Colston (bye week 10). Yeah, and Vick did alright week 10 too. I spanked him. Hard.

I got almost nothing in return. Brandon Tate and Steve Smith (Car) ... Zach Miller who I later waived for Tamme. But that was OK .... his team went on to beat up on everyone else. It was almost me vs. him in the Superbowl, but he lost to the guy that started Devin Hester and the Bears DST. Miraculous comeback that could only happen in a KR league.

The next week ... nobody was giving Hester a chance. Vick did as expected, Tamme stepped up for me, Jamal Charles .... and I started T. Jones too as insurance. I rolled with what got me there. Left a lot of points on my bench, James Jones, Jhavid Best (traded Hillis for him preseason to the Hardesty owner) but still won.

It's interesting that both teams that made the Superbowl, had a WR return a kick for a TD the week before .... but Mike Thomas (Arizona Wildcat btw ...my hometown, Tucson) showed up for me in the passing game when I needed him. He was money down the stretch. I was telling people here too in "Sleeper" threads .... go back and look. I had drafted Cribbs thinkng he was gonna be a bad ass, but I was wrong. I overcame a lot. The worst of which ... drafting Randy Moss in the first round.

I got off waivers, because I acted quickly ... Vick, Hillis, Tamme and Mike Thomas. Vick was money ... really DeSean Jackson is money ... shoulda taken him in the first round. In a KR league? He was #1 on my list ... but rankings said Moss ,,, and he was there at 11 .... contract year in possibly the best passing offense in the history of the NFL. Right? Jackson was there ... I took Moss.

But I overcame that. Mostly by very active waiver moves. I had the least amount of points scored against me in the league .... you think that was all luck? I made strategic moves to prevent my opponents from scoring against me. Adding players I did not intend to start in order to make sure they don't get them. Isn't that a pretty basic strategy? Prevent your opponents from getting the big weapons? That's how I got Vick. Didn't need a QB ..... just didn't want anyone else having that possible A-Bomb type of 59 points a game QB.

14 team league, 1 player keeper (3 year limit):

Keeper = CJ2K

1.13 = Megatron

2.2 = R White

That was the basis of my team right there. Drafted K Kolb to be my starter in the 4th round and backed him up with Stafford in the 9th and Vick in the 12th.

We get crazy bonus pts for scoring "out of position", so if a QB/WR rushes for a TD or a RB catches a TD, you get 2x the pts. We also have distance scoring so if Vick rushes for a 0-9 yd TD = 12; 10-39 = 18; 40+ = 24. I got HUGE bonuses from him.

Anyway, won the #1 prize, total points, and the Super Bowl. Also won the same 2 in my Dynasty league (with a lot of the same guys) with a totally different set of rules and a totally different team. :pointstosky:

12 team redraft, 6 point TDs, no PPR

Mainly for me it was solid picks at the top of the draft:

07- Rodgers

19- Williams

31- J. Charles

42- A. Gates

Three home runs and a whiff, but those three were the core of my team. Key moves were

1. Picking up Vick, trading him for Colston week 4 (this could have been disastrous but the guy had a crappy team)

2. Picking up Tamme to replace Gates

3. Having the stones to start Flynn vs. the Pats in the playoffs. :first:

Three reasons:

1) Michael Vick

2) Michael Vick

3) Michael Vick

Specifically, the second half of the Giants game in week 15. Even with that explosion, I just barely won to advance to the championship game which I won easily.

12 Team Dynasty, 22 man rosters, standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE,DST,K

Winning Team:

QB Aaron Rodgers

RB Arian Foster

RB Steven Jackson

WR Reggie Wayne

WR Kenny Britt

WR Johnny Knox

TE Jimmy Graham

K Nate Kaeding

DST NY Jets

Rodgers, Jackson, Britt, Knox, and Graham were all draft picks by me in their rookie years. Wayne I got in a trade a few years back. I picked up Arian Foster at the end of last year during his little breakout to carry on my roster through the offseason and see how things went. Roster cut time came along and I almost dropped him when the Texans drafted Ben Tate, but decided to hold him because I wasn't a big believer in Tate. But to do so, I had to trade away Zach Miller, TE Oakland to make room on my roster. That would bite me later.

Had Jermichael Finley as my TE. Because I had traded Zach Miller, I had to pick up Kevin Boss and some other scrub to fill in. Panicked somewhat and offered Jimmy Graham and my 2011 2nd round pick for Greg Olsen to the Shockey owner, but that was luckily rejected. Graham started putting up points so he was in the lineup.

My other WR was Steve Smith (CAR), and he was obviously worthless so had to roll with Knox. When Britt was out for those 5 weeks midseason, I started a combination of James Jones/MSW.

Made it into the playoffs as the 5 seed and my team got hot (highest scorer 2 out of 3 weeks, 2nd highest the other week). Luckily I survived the first week of the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick when Rodgers was out with a concussion.

I did use some waiver wire strategy in the Super Bowl. Our waivers are run only once a week and dropped players can't be picked up until the following week. My opponent had Antonio Gates as his only TE so I dropped Boss and grabbed Jared Cook off of waivers to block him and he took a 0 at the position. I ended up winning the championship by 3 points and Cook had put up ~5 points that weekend.

Thanks for the thread. It feels good to relive the glory of a championship season. :first: :cheers:

Drafting well, making a great preseason trade (Jamal Charles for Calvin Johnson). Charles was my #3 RB (we play 2) and Calvin was my #3 WR (we play 3) to go with Roddy White and Dwayne Bowe.

Oh yea, I also picked up Vick after week one because I drafted Kolb as my #1 QB. :pointstosky:

Picked up Brandon Lloyd and Peyton Hillis off the ww - stashed them early. Palmer was my qb :banana: