Sign in to follow this  
ball44

names on overall and depth chart grey out instead of come off.

Hey Mike,

Last year on the overall tab and also the depth chart tab when a player was drafted their name would disappear completely. this year it looks like they just turn grey. Is there any way to make them disappear or maybe even put a line through them. I use these tabs quite a bit during the draft and I can see this becoming confusing, just having the names there of people who have already been drafted.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hey Mike,

Last year on the overall tab and also the depth chart tab when a player was drafted their name would disappear completely. this year it looks like they just turn grey. Is there any way to make them disappear or maybe even put a line through them. I use these tabs quite a bit during the draft and I can see this becoming confusing, just having the names there of people who have already been drafted.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Shaun. You are correct. Last year there were actually three optional methods of display for drafted players (Blank, Crossed-out, or Greyed-Out). Greyed-Out is only option currently. I think a lot of people like it because it gives you the best visual cue to see what players have been drafted. If there's enough interest, MM will look into the possibilty of adding back in the other two options (blank & crossed-out).

The reason I took it out is because it created a ton of extra formulas, columns and rows, which resulted in the program running slow. I'm not sure how I would put those options back without creating the slowness, but I could perhaps show everyone how to change it so they could get the option they want. That shouldn't be too difficult (I think). Which option did you like the best?

Hey Shaun. Let me first explain a bit the way the options used to work, and why it is down to one option right now.

In the old versions, with the three options, there were many more cells and formulas in play - one copy of each cheatsheet or depth chart for each of the available options. When the user chose a different option, Buddy would move the appropriate style cheatsheet into place.

In the interest of keeping the 2011 file as compact and efficient as possible, I eliminated the multiple copies of the same cheatsheet on each tab, but that got rid of the ability for the three options (i.e. haven't figured out another way to tell the CCDB how to change the way it marks the players off the cheatsheets).

In the past, for the blank out / "classic" option, formulas were in place to just outright remove the player from the cheatsheet if/when they are drafted. In the new version, one of the things I'm very happy with the way it worked out is the cheatsheets include no formulas. They are flat data, which gives you guys a lot of freedom to just type over different player names if you want, or re-rank players, without having to worry about formulas screwing up.

Instead of adding back the formulas to blank out players like it used to, what I would propose is changing the conditional formatting for all cells to instead of making the player names grey (what is currently there), make the player names white. That should be a simple enough change. Only issue though - on the cheatsheets where the background is colored (overall, adp), even a white text will show up ... it will be white on purple, for example, instead of white on white like the positional cheatsheets.

Long story short (too late!), here are instructions how to change the conditional formatting:

1. Go to the offense tab, and highlight all the cells for the QB position from the Chg column to the ADP column. That is cells B9:I68.

2. Select Format > Conditional Formatting

3. You should see two possible conditional format "rules" there ... or possibly three if you are using the older Excel (.xls) version. The rule or rules that show the text as grey, click on the rule and choose Edit Rule.

4. At this point you should get into a section about the formatting. Might have to hit a Format button. This is different by version of Excel. There will be a section to format the font, and you'll see where the color is selected grey ... change that to white. Hit OK, OK to get out of there, and the rule should now be changed so when a player is drafted, the text turns white instead of grey.

5. Repeat steps 1 to 4. You'll need to do it by position on the offense and idp tabs. On the overall tab it needs to be by section (rank 1-80, 81-160, 161-240). The adp tab is by section (10 team, 12 team, 14 team). I think you can do the depth tab in two sections (top half, bottom half).

Note what I said above though, that on the overall and adp tabs where the background color highlighting positions is working, you'll still see the player names because it will be white on a different color instead of white on white. Might want to just keep those ones as grey.

Let us know how that goes.

Ah, you know what I just realized as I'm sitting here fixing the draft player button - on the overall and adp tabs, when a player is selected the player highlighting goes away. So, changing the font color on those from grey to white will in fact work and give the proper look of the player being completely removed from the cheatsheets.

Also, I didn't mention before, but anyone who wants to change from the grey to the crossed-out look on the cheatsheets, follow the exact same steps as above, but instead of changing the font color from grey to white, instead select the text option to strikethrough the text. You can also change it to whatever color you like, of course. "Automatic" is the default color, black.

O.k. I am having trouble. When I click on conditional formatting a box pops up that says condition 1. on this page I have a series of drop down boxes. The first one you can choose between cell value or formula value and the second one is less than, equal to and all that stuff. There is also a format button but I don't see anything about the rules that you mentioned. If you need more info let me know but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm sure there is something simple that I am not doing. Maybe you should publish a draft buddy for dummies book.

Thanks,

Shaun

I got the depth chart to work but that is the only one that will. There is a formula in the box for the depth chart but none of the other tabs has a formula when I hit conditional formatting and it won't let me do anything.

You really need to make sure you've highlighted the right area in step 1. I think that is what is happening if you have a section highlighted, select Conditional Formatting, and then it doesn't show you the formula(s) for the rules. Does that help?

I tried again and highlighted the exact cells that you said B9:I68 then hit conditional formatting, a box popped up that said condition 1 and all of the boxes are blank, it isn't showing any formula.

I went back to the depth chart since I got that to work before. I did the top part and it worked fine, but then when I went to the bottom sheet I am getting the same problem that is listed above.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hmm... I will say, when I had to split apart the two versions between the old Excel and newer Excel, the Conditional Formatting really drove me nuts. Let me investigate some things to try to figure out what the problem might be.

What if I go through and turn all of my text red on all of the sheets. Then when the draft button is hit they will turn gray. If I go through and turn them all to red text and save it will it stay that way when I update or will it turn back. I just want something so when I'm looking at the next player to draft that I'm not looking at names that have already been drafted. I can see me go up and try to draft a player who has already been drafted.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Totally slipped my mind. Yes, I think that will work, and your changes will save. The red text should stay fine after hitting Compile Cheatsheets or anything else you might do.

So you find the black vs. grey not distinct enough?

Correct, Thats why I liked it last year when the player just came off totally. In my eyes if the player has already been drafted I don't want to see their name anywhere.

shaun

Correct, Thats why I liked it last year when the player just came off totally. In my eyes if the player has already been drafted I don't want to see their name anywhere.

shaun

How about you send my your copy of the CC/DB (2.0 - I assume you've already updated) and I'll see why your conditional formatting is giving you issue when you try to change it. compiler@fftoday.com