Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

McGahee signs a 3-yr. deal with Denver...

RB Willis McGahee reaches agreement with Denver on a 3-yr deal for $7,500,000, including $3 million guaranteed.

(from Schefter's Twitter)

Broncos agreed to terms with Willis McGahee on a three-year, $7.5 million contract.

McGahee will receive $3 million in guarantees, hardly starter's money. Turning 30 in October, McGahee is coming off a down season averaging 3.8 YPC and a miniscule 3.9 yards on 14 receptions. He'll see part-time work on early downs and possibly at the goal-line, but McGahee is a complement to Knowshon Moreno -- not the other way around. Moreno's low-end RB2 value has survived intact after concerns that he would be moved to a third-down role. McGahee shouldn't be drafted any higher than a RB4.

Source: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Jul 29, 12:17 PM

Moreno is the most talented back on the team and fox likes to run but with tebow and McGahee vulturing the goal line Im not sure how much value is here.

FFT News

My quick reaction in the News item above...

It seems the expected demotion of Knowshon Moreno to a third-down role was premature. McGahee will play a complimentary role to Moreno but does have more fantasy value than you think given John Fox's run-first offensive style. Consider McGahee a RB4 with upside.

Uh oh, another blooper by the media.

"JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

There's some confusion on the McGahee front. Checked with more sources and told no deal with DEN. Team likely to workout RBs this weekend..."

McGahee will play a complimentary role to Moreno but does have more fantasy value than you think given John Fox's run-first offensive style. Consider McGahee a RB4 with upside.

That sounds about right. Assuming they don't draft anyone else, I think this boosts both Moreno & McGahee's value.

1) Moreno gets a boost because McGahee isn't a big threat to steal carries like DeAngelo Williams would be. You can probably safely project him for 200+ carries if he stays healthy.

2) McGahee has decent value as a guy getting 10+ carries a game the way Correll Buckhalter did 2 seasons ago. Plus he now plays behind an injury prone starter, so he's got the upside to get 25+ carries per game if Moreno goes down.

Both of their ADP's are pretty tasty. We'll see how much Moreno's ADP rises, but they both are probably going to end up being a bargain. I think people will over-rate how many TD's Tebow will steal, and they'll under rate John Fox's love for the running game.

Ray Rice fans will love this, no Willis to steal TD's like he has done so. many. times. before. I dont like this for Moreno, I dont think he is that good of a back and Willis will give him good competition, I'd rather see him start :D

Well, wouldn't this make Ray Rice's value shoot up in Baltimore? Unless somebody new vultures goal-line carries.

Ray Rice fans will love this, no Willis to steal TD's like he has done so. many. times. before. I dont like this for Moreno, I dont think he is that good of a back and Willis will give him good competition, I'd rather see him start :D

I feel much more comfortable keeping Ray Rice this year, because of this reason. as we get one player to keep.

Before Baltimore dismantantled their offense I loved rice. I was expecting Willis to be gone and ray is second In total yds the past 2 seasons to only CJ. If he gets goalline and Baltimore gets some weapons I see big things.

Well, wouldn't this make Ray Rice's value shoot up in Baltimore? Unless somebody new vultures goal-line carries.

His ADP is already early 1st round, I don't see how people could be valuing him *more*.

no goal line for moreno

John Fox has never been one to use a goal line vulture, Stewart & DeAngelo split those carries pretty evenly. In 2009, DeAngelo had 10 rushes inside the 5 yard line, Stewart had 14. Pretty even split. Just because Cam Cameron & Harbaugh used McGahee as a goal line back doesn't mean John Fox will. If anything, you should be worried about Tebow as a vulture rather than McGahee.