Sign in to follow this  
dojo_commish

CCDB and Auctions

Looking for some help here. I entered all my info in along with keeper values. The initial 'Max Bids' for the available players seems EXTREMELY low for my league anyway. CJ2K is $30, AP went for $50 last year as an example. I have 2 questions and looking for any recommendations/input you can give me!

A. Has anybody ever gone with straight CCDB recommendations during and auction, and how did that end up? I know you may get some 'good deals', but dont really want to end up with a RB core of Addai, Jacobs, Lynch b/c I got them at a 'good deal'.

B. Any veterans of Auction out there who can send advice on other ways to use this GREAT program?

Hi dojo. I was waiting a bit to see if anyone else chimed in, but here are my thoughts:

1. Any auction values from a magazine or generated from a draft program are better thought of as a guide instead of absolute maximum amounts you should not go over. Auctions are funny things, in that they really can change from one to another depending on the owners involved and just how it plays out. Some owners will bid aggressively, driving up prices. Others will be more conservative, keeping prices low.

In terms of the your auction values as a guide, if you see player after player going well above your values, then it is time to adjust on the fly. You may have to force yourself to spend more than you were planning... to get some stud players... but know that later on the later starters and backups will go for less than planned. Working the auction is part science and art. Need to go with the flow to a degree, but you won't know what the flow is exactly until the action starts. That is a lot of the fun with auctions.

Still, we want to get more separation in your cheatsheet than you are currently indicating is there. Did you switch the Overall Ranking Method on the options tab to Compiler Auction Recommended? Your history with the league will help too, in that you know the top 2-3-4 RB go for around $X, top QB for $Y, etc.

2. I'll tell you the one thing I don't like about the CC/DB for auctions (blasphemy, I know), and the only reason it still does this is because I haven't figured out a way to get around it - yet! Well, as the auction proceeds to the later stages and some teams have filled their roster, the nomination order does not remove that team from having a turn nominating players. I know it should, at least for most auctions I've seen, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Here are things to keep in mind though as the auction is going fast and furious, and at the later stages:

- if the nominating team wins a player, then you do not need to fill in the Winning Bidder Team column... it will assume the nominating team is the winner if the winning bidder is blank. This is very important in terms of saving time

- it doesn't really matter who the nominating team was in the CC/DB, as long as you do mark the correct Winning Bidder team, so if the nominating teams are out of order, just pick any row to fill in the player and winning bidder

- if you get to the later stages and only have a handful of players to fill your roster, don't get bogged down keeping the thing completely up to date if it is getting too onerous. Make a list of players you are targeting ... I usually type them to the side of the auction report tab ... and focus on them. Worry about filling in the other drafted players later. Er, unless you are the commish and responsible for this!

- when a all players are going for $1, quickly fill the winning bid column with 1's so you don't have to worry about it with each and every pick

Those are a few things off the top of my head. Hope that helps!

You can mess with the settings in the "Overall Rankings/Custom Baselines" until you find a setting that more closely models your league. I find that "Compiler Auction Recommended" is actually pretty close to the upper limit on high tier players, but then typically over prices them in the mid/low end. Of course once things hit $1 bids it academic anyway.

I suggest traveling through all the presets in the above window on Tab 4 "Options" or setting them yourself. You'll get close enough if you play with them enough. As was said above though, it's a guide. You have to know when to go off the page, and, how your own needs must adjust your own limits.

Thank you guys!

I think altering the baseline numbers have really helped. By the way, I had to set them at .6, .6, 6., .7 to best fit where we spend in our auction.

I know that every auction is different, and you have to adjust on the fly, but altering these seem to be the way to make it realistic. Just to give you an example, here is what a couple guys went for last year (we draft rookies and can sign them, so thats why you don't see some big names)

AP - $61

Andre Johnson - $45

Turner - $42

Gore - $41