Sign in to follow this  
klaatu

Switched Excel versions

Hi -- I have the Excel 2010 version of CC/DB. Last year I had the Excel 2003 version. In order to import my old league settings, is there anything else I need to do besides change the entry for the old filename to end in .xls rather than .xlsm? I tried, that, but I'm getting errors. Or do I need to keep using the .xls version in order to import league settings from my old CC?

Hi klaatu. You should be able to import from the xls version (2010) to the xlsm version (2011). Just make sure you have both files open in Excel 2010. If they are open in each version of Excel that won't work. The filename needs to be exact, so change to xls in that cell on the action tab in your 2011 CC/DB but also check the rest of the filename that it is correct. I would also suggest keeping both files open in Excel at the same time when trying to import.

Thanks, Mike. When I click on Copy League Settings with both worksheets open, Compatibility Checker pops up and complains about a bunch of things, but I think the complaints are on behalf of the older worksheet. If I ignore its protestations and click Continue, the rules & scoring copy successfully.

I see the note that says CC/DB will only copy the active league settings from the 2010 Compiler. I guess that's why you give the tip to keep a separate CC/DB file for each league. I'm in multiple leagues, and in past years, I've been able to copy their settings in a single step and administer all leagues from a single CC worksheet. The new method will be a little less convenient, since it requires maintaining multiple worksheets and updating their projections separately (if I'm understanding it right).

I've run into another problem. When I open last year's CC (Excel 2003 format) into Excel 2010 and select a different league profile, "#N/A" appears in red in the four cells to the right of "League profile name," and when I try to copy the league settings into the current CC/DB, it fails with "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch." I've double checked the filename and know it's correct. So I've only been able to copy over the settings for 1 of my 3 leagues.

You're right, it is a little less convenient with the one league per file system, but with the Compiler and Draft Buddy now combined into one file, it really was necessary. There is too much data when you think about potential keepers, draft picks, trades, different cheatsheet rankings, etc. to save it all in one file for multiple leagues. I had to make the decision about what to do, and I think the benefit of having the Compiler and Draft Buddy combined into one file, even though it only holds one league, outweighs multiple leagues in the Compiler but multiple and separate Buddy files.

In terms of the N/A issue... I have no idea why that is happening. I'm stumped on that. It doesn't seem to be happening to everyone either, making it more curious. I can tell you how to correct it though and it is pretty easy. Once you've selected the league you want to copy in the old Compiler file, and those N/A's show up, highlight the four cells for the League Name with the N/A's. Hit Delete to clear them. Now simply click the first of those four cells, and type in the league name. Now go to your 2011 CC/DB and hit the copy button. You shouldn't get the error.