Sign in to follow this  
Slim Pickins

Waiver Process

I've been in a pay league with a group of friends for 10 years and we've always had a waivers process of worst goes first. I usually didn't mind as I was in the middle early and had a fair shot at some breakout talent. This year due to luck (or bad luck) I've been last on the waiver order due to a strong first half of the season. As such, I've missed out on some emerging talent... well, that's a lie. I've missed out on ALL the emerging talent.

Anyhow, at the end of the year we get to make suggestions for the next season and I would like to see a change in the process. It probably won't work (a bit of sour grapes on my part and these guys don't like change at all) but I would like to try. Thing is, we live all over the U.S. and it's hard to manage auction style waivers and such. We're on CBS Sportsline and I haven't seen an alternate options to waiver order based on overall record. Does anybody else use a different process or do you agree in the current one?

Most leagues I've played in did worst to best, which I prefer to keep it competitive. Yahoo does reverse of draft order initially, and then each time a claim is granted, you're bumped to the back of the line, which isn't too bad.

Most leagues I've played in did worst to best, which I prefer to keep it competitive. Yahoo does reverse of draft order initially, and then each time a claim is granted, you're bumped to the back of the line, which isn't too bad.

This is what I've been using for years, and love it. Not a fan of record or win/loss based waivers because I don't think teams should be rewarded for doing poorly.

$1000 waiver dollars.

Tiebreaker if both bid the same is: who had the most recent pickup loses the tiebreak.

Waivers processed Tuesday night to Saturday night.

Basic CBS waiver system.

A FAAB Waivers system is far superior to any Waiver Priority system. Last year, a worst-to-first system would have rewarded HEAVILY any of the teams that lost in Week 1, setting up the guy who scored the fewest points to claim Vick.

"I lost Week 1? - oh no". "I get to pick up a top #3 QB out of the junk? - yes !". Vick swung the B.O.P in many, many Leagues.

At least the guy who picked up Vick in our FAAB League(s) had to bid the highest.

The point is that FAAB turns FA acquisition into something strategic, which is ultimately the best part of FF.

A FAAB Waivers system is far superior to any Waiver Priority system. Last year, a worst-to-first system would have rewarded HEAVILY any of the teams that lost in Week 1, setting up the guy who scored the fewest points to claim Vick.

"I lost Week 1? - oh no". "I get to pick up a top #3 QB out of the junk? - yes !". Vick swung the B.O.P in many, many Leagues.

At least the guy who picked up Vick in our FAAB League(s) had to bid the highest.

The point is that FAAB turns FA acquisition into something strategic, which is ultimately the best part of FF.

I just reviewed the commish settings for FAAB and think this might be fun. I also started the one keeper system back in the inaugural 2001 season and kept Priest until he broke himself :angry: Maybe I can sell it because it seems like more fun than being last (or first) on waivers all the time. I literally have 11 in front of me and it's picked clean by my turn :sad: Seems like any time you figure in some strategy you get better separation between those that play and those that PLAY. Thanks for the input.

We all jerk off on to a piece of toast. Last guy to jizz has to eat the toast. But in return he gets first waiver priority. Seems fair to me. :dunno:

I've been in a pay league with a group of friends for 10 years and we've always had a waivers process of worst goes first. I usually didn't mind as I was in the middle early and had a fair shot at some breakout talent. This year due to luck (or bad luck) I've been last on the waiver order due to a strong first half of the season. As such, I've missed out on some emerging talent... well, that's a lie. I've missed out on ALL the emerging talent.

Anyhow, at the end of the year we get to make suggestions for the next season and I would like to see a change in the process. It probably won't work (a bit of sour grapes on my part and these guys don't like change at all) but I would like to try. Thing is, we live all over the U.S. and it's hard to manage auction style waivers and such. We're on CBS Sportsline and I haven't seen an alternate options to waiver order based on overall record. Does anybody else use a different process or do you agree in the current one?

We try to emulate the NFL rules whenever possible. HTH

We try to emulate the NFL rules whenever possible. HTH

While I understand this impetus, FF is not actually football, nor is it the NFL. It is its own thing.

Just as the NFL tweaks things, year-to-year, to improve their game...so should FF Commissioners - to induce a better game for themselves and their League-mates.

And a better game is what FF is all about.

I'm on CBS, and we do a FAAB/Free for all hybrid.

Each team starts the season with 250 auction dollars. On Tuesday, each owner can use their dollars to bid on players. At 9am Wednesday morning after the auction has occurred, I switch from "FAAB" to "Allow owners to do add/drops".

Each owner can get more dollars by doing the League Pick'em. Your total amount of correct picks gets added to your auction dollar account(up to $15 per week). So, if you blow your entire wad early on the flaver of the day that doesn't pan out, you still have a chance to earn some "money" and get back into it. On the other hand, you can hoard all your cash till the end of the season and assure yourself that you'll be able to outbid everyone else when it really matters come playoff time.

You can also include bid dollars in trades to help balance it out. (ie: Player A was traded for Player B+ and "cash").

Been doing this process for about 4 years with zero complaints.

I'm on CBS, and we do a FAAB/Free for all hybrid.

Each team starts the season with 250 auction dollars. On Tuesday, each owner can use their dollars to bid on players. At 9am Wednesday morning after the auction has occurred, I switch from "FAAB" to "Allow owners to do add/drops".

Each owner can get more dollars by doing the League Pick'em. Your total amount of correct picks gets added to your auction dollar account(up to $15 per week). So, if you blow your entire wad early on the flaver of the day that doesn't pan out, you still have a chance to earn some "money" and get back into it. On the other hand, you can hoard all your cash till the end of the season and assure yourself that you'll be able to outbid everyone else when it really matters come playoff time.

You can also include bid dollars in trades to help balance it out. (ie: Player A was traded for Player B+ and "cash").

Been doing this process for about 4 years with zero complaints.

I like that and will recommend it as a change for next year. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I like that and will recommend it as a change for next year. Thanks. :thumbsup:

It's a habit now, but when I first started it, it was a pain in the arse because I'd keep forgetting to change the setting. If I'd forget to change it from add/drop to FAAB, owners would start picking up players on Tuesday morning all wily nily. I'd have to back out all those transactions and return it to normal. That sucked because everyone else then knew what players the owners were going after that week and would then bid accordingly.

Granted, it was my mistake for not changing the setting, but you'd think that owners wouldn't assume that the rules of acquiring players changed over the weekend and they simply didn't get the email.