Sign in to follow this  
bonkbonk

The tricky world of Vetos

This trade was proposed 2 weeks ago. Ok i know there should never be a veto unless there is collusion. Both teams needed to win out and get some help to make the playoffs.

The trade:

T. Jones and N. Burlenson

For

F. Gore

So its a horrible trade and the two guys know each other, and looks like collusion. They guy getting gore has a good team just has been unlucky with most points scored against.

12 man league that need 6 votes to veto the trade. It gets 9 votes and is vetoed.

Now two weeks later Burlenson has scored 34.6 and Gore has scored 12.2 and is dinged up. :shocking:

This sux as the commissioner and one of the veto voters. This league is very active and lots of trades have gone through, with this being the only veto. Should i take away the veto vote next year and just manage trades myself? I still think this was a sh!t trade and i would have not allowed it, but it has cost a team a chance at the playoffs.

But you say never veto. But what commissioners among you would have let two cellar teams make this trade?

I'm a 99% never veto guy but that is pretty fricken horrid.

If it is gonna f-up your league and make everyone unhappy and consider quitting because people pull this crap, a veto can be considered. Some people think it's tough to draw a line on what is and isn't veto worthy but I think it's pretty obvious usually. That is two bench players/waiver wire players, for a player that starts on almost everyone's team week in and week out.

I know I'll get savaged but that is my 2 cents.

Edit: I'm saying any veto's should be a commish call. I hate where members get to vote on each trade, it is too self serving for people to block a legit trade.

Yo the original poster, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this situation. All of the owners of your league knew the rules before the start of the season, so they need to respect how things play out.

On a personal note, I don't like veto leagues and would never be in one. If you and enough other owners feel that two or more teams cheated with some effed up trades, then you cut them out of your league the following season.

This is the first trade I have ever seen on this site that is a legitimate veto candidate. If this happened before Gore got hurt, I just don't see any reason the team trading him would make this trade. You could certainly do much better than Burleson, and there are backs on waivers who are better than T. Jones at this point, his relatively decent MNF game notwithstanding.

As a matter of policy, though, I prefer leagues that have a commissioner who is entrusted to make these rulings. And the idea that a majority of people can veto a trade just invites all kinds of shenanigans you don't want to have to deal with.