Sign in to follow this  
crowes

AZ QB's? Fitz Floyd...etc

What's with the QB situation in AZ? Warner just said he thinks It's Kolb and that last yr he was learning the system. Skelton looked OK to me at points- and I think Kolb could be good. How is it though that A.neither QB gets drafted in our Zealots league B. everyone still talks about LArry Fitz as being the solid 2-5 overall WR C. How are Floyd and Andre Roberts held optimistically by owners? I mean I love Fitz, but does this mean if Matt Flynn were his QB that people would put him up with Calvin Johson? It's not like we think Beenie and Ryan Williams(who lots of folks also seem to love) are going to combine for 2400 on the ground w 30td.

These elements just seem strange to me when I see the likes of Sanchez,Tebow,Gabbert,Locker,Cassel and Smith being drafted w confidence as backups. IS it a wait and see who gets the nod and rush to the waiver wire? I think both of these QBs are better than Dilfer and apparently if people are drafting the WR3 in Zona then they must think that someone is good enough to be a backup on a fantasy roster, but none of us did. I mean, for goddsake I took Anthony Armstrong with pick 25??? OK, so Im a jackass, but stick to the topic :)

its probably due to people not wanting to take a QB they are not sure will actually be the guy.. that combined with the fact that neither guy is great. Guys like Tebow, Locker etc seem to have more upside

i happen to think Kolb will be the guy. I dont think he has a long leash but I think he will be given the first shot to take the job and run based on what was given up for him.

if he does end up the starter, i do think he is a viable #2 throwing to those weapons.

I think regarding the QBs we all just took a wait and see approach. I myself settled for A. Smith, who will at least start, over taking one of those guys who might have a higher upside. I think the starter will be rostered.

Regarding Fitz being drafted so high, despite shoddy QB play, that just lends more to my argument to wait on wrs this year. After Calvin you have AJ-trouble staying healthy and Fitz-shoddy qb play as the next best options. I'm not super confident that either end up as top 5-10 wrs this year. Fitz finished 5th and 16th the past 2 years. AJ finished 9th 2 years ago and had a lost season last year. I'd almost just be as happy with say Maclin, Miles Austin, Bowe, ect later. Almost.

Digging deeper into Fitz's stats last year, and using our Zealots league as a reference, he was the #11th WR through 3/4 of the season but a great final quarter propelled him up to #7 overall.

I say that just b/c I remember Fitz's owners being a bit impatient with him mid season. He was fine but not someone you necessarily feared in your opponents line up. Not like you would Calvin or Welker for example.

What Fitz will we see next year? I think it depends a lot upon QB play and clearly we all don't really know...especially with the nod seeming going to Kolb, who I believe, might have been responsible for more of Fitz's low output than 'chuck it up deep to Larry' Skelton.

If someone could comment on Fitz's stat totals by QB that would be helpful.

P.S. I'm not hating on Larry. He's one of my favorite players in the league. But from a draft value standpoint, he's often taken as WR 2 and I just don't have confidence that he'll necessarily end up there. I think the WR is more variable than QB, RB and the big 2 TEs that I personally am waiting on them this year.

Larry Fitz was slightly better last year with Skelton, but I wouldn't say it was REAL noticeable:

With Kolb- 8 games- 38 receptions, 658 yards, 2 TD's

With Skelton- 8 games- 41 receptions, 740 yards, 5 TD's

With Bartel- 1 quarter- 1 reception, 23 yards, 1 TD

Kolb started 9 games but was knocked out after 1 throw in the one game. So Kolb essentially started and played 8 full games. Skelton started 7 games, but replaced Kolb after 1 play in another game. Skelton was replaced by Bartel in the 4th quarter of one game. So it was essentially a 8 game to 8 game split.