Sign in to follow this  
vegassandwich227

3 wr's by rd 4

in another topic this morning(roddy white 3.11), someone asked why you would take a wr early if it wasn't megatron since there's value in the 3rd. i threw out there that it may make sense if you had a late draft slot and went rb-wr-wr-wr...i'd agree that by rd4 if you only have 1 or 2 wrs, it's probably wiser to go rb-rb or qb-rb in rds 1&2...

i figured you could get a mid-tier RB1 (dmc,forte,murray), then get fitz, j nelson, and dez (or a comparable crew)...then go rb/qb in rd5/6, where you hope a decent value rb falls and look to score someone like rivers at qb...then in rds 7/8 go rb-rb, and in rds 9/10 go rb/te...

i kinda like the idea of it...you get a sick wr trio, a pretty decent qb/te because of the tier1-b depth at both positions, a weak rb2 but terrific rb depth. i decided to run a mock and see what would happen...i did a 12 teamer, where i had the 10th pick. this is the team i got, following that strategy:

1.CJ (could've also grabbed murray or mjd)

2.Fitz

3.Cruz (could've also taken Nelson or Nicks)

4.Dez

5.Greene

6.Ryan

7.Ingram

8.DeAng W

9.LeShoure

10.Fred Davis

Personally, I really like the way this looks...that being said, this specific mock draft went really well for this strategy. Fitz fell in the 2nd. And 17 rbs were taken before my 3rd rd pick (and 2 more before my 4th).

I don't even know my draft slot yet, so this may be completely irrelevant for me, but i'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Im a big advocate of this...this year.

Im taking the best rb available in rd one.......gronk or graham in rd two...then 3 straight WR's.....so im close your mock.

So my mocks at 10 looks like this:

1 DMC

2 Gronk

3 Roddy White

4 Steve Smith

5 Vincent Jackson/ Dwayne Bowe

6th i usally go rb....so im looking at Willis or Shonn Greene.....but ill load up on upside guys like Hillis, Ryan Williams, etc...and gamble a bit on the #2 rb.

Then ill grab a value qb in Rothlisberger, Schaub, Cutler, etc.....

Again, it depends on your scoring system and what pick you have in Round One, but I'm not sold on this theory at all. In leagues where you have to start 2 RB's, or have a Flex position, there is ample WR depth to be found MUCH later in the draft.

As for Calvin at the 1.10.... He may fall in a Yahoo free draft.... I have yet to see him fall past the 1.06 in ANY real draft I've seen this year and his current ADP is 1.05 per MFL. 99.9% of the time, you do NOT start your team with Calvin drafting from the 1.10 spot, which makes your team overly unrealistic. In a normal league, where he is gone by the 1.05 (using ADP), you would never have a shot at him at the end of Round One, leaving you reaching for what WR at the the 1.10? What about the 2nd round? Mock drafts are not the same thing, or even close, to the real deal. MFL gives you the option of running an ADP from real drafts only. Even in the cheap leagues Calvin does not last until the 1.10.

So..... What WR do you reach for in the 1.10 - 1.12 range?

And to add to the Gronk topic; Does anyone pay attention to the offensive coordinators anymore? McDaniels made what TE a stud in his time as a HC or OC? Exactly. There are a lot of mouths to feed in New England. I believe expecting Gronk to match last seasons stats, which he would need to do in order to justify a 1st or early 2nd round pick, is insane. Has a TE ever done that in back to back years? lol No. I think you can expect a minimum of a 10% drop off in his numbers this year. Gonzalez looked great at the end of the season and they added Lloyd (and others) to the fold. With Ridley and Vereen also looking good, I don't believe for a minute Gronk puts up those receptions/TD's numbers again. Ever.

If I have to start 2 RBs I'm not waiting until the 5th round. Especially if the strategy does not include a top tier qb or TE. Not sure why you would take 4 WRs in a draft before you take a RB. Even if you can start 4.

As for Calvin at the 1.10.... He may fall in a Yahoo free draft.... I have yet to see him fall past the 1.06 in ANY real draft I've seen this year and his current ADP is 1.05 per MFL.

CJ=Chris Johnson, not Megatron.

I have tried this strategy. What I find is that I end up with a great set of WRs, but I end up picking my RB2 and RB3 off the trash heap while owners who grabbed RBs early are still getting great value drafting WRs.

The WRs they draft are nearly as good as the guys I got early, whereas the RBs I'm getting are much, much lower than the RBs they drafted early.

I just don't see the value in a draft strategy like that.