Sign in to follow this  
Raceroom

Qb in first round?

Newbie here. Looking for opinions. My league gives 6 pts for tds but -2 for int and -1 for sacks taken. This in a non ppt league. Do I have to take a qb first or can I wait. I want to wait and get matt Ryan later but want to see what you guys think. Any help would be great.

Hi Raceroom,

We actually posted an article on this very topic a few days ago discussing the pros and cons of drafting a QB in the first round.

I wouldn't say you "have" to take a QB in the first round but I wouldn't hesitate in grabbing Rodgers, Brady or Brees.... this all depends though on what draft pick you have.

Hi Raceroom,

We actually posted an article on this very topic a few days ago discussing the pros and cons of drafting a QB in the first round.

I wouldn't say you "have" to take a QB in the first round but I wouldn't hesitate in grabbing Rodgers, Brady or Brees.... this all depends though on what draft pick you have.

Thanks Mike I just didn't know if the 6 vs 4 made it a must to get one of the big three. Last year I got stafford late and did ok but had tons of injuries elsewhere. Just feel great about Ryan and with RB thin this year I don't know.

Thanks Mike I just didn't know if the 6 vs 4 made it a must to get one of the big three. Last year I got stafford late and did ok but had tons of injuries elsewhere. Just feel great about Ryan and with RB thin this year I don't know.

The article is pretty good. I personally don't think the 4 or 6 points make that much difference in where you take a QB since the points for all QB's are effected.

Well it really depends on your draft spot, how the people in your league value certain positions and players. If it were the top 4 picks, I'd say Rodgers for sure is worth the 1st overall pick, if it is 5-9, then brady and brees would fall in there, 10-12 then maybe Cam or Stafford. That is how my draft is going to look, but its going to be different for everyone. Maybe look at how you friends normally draft and try to make a mock draft of your first round. If you get an Elite QB you most likely will not have to get a backup.

Try reading this article, it may give some more insight on what I'm trying to say...

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K12_TMRManifesto

The article is pretty good. I personally don't think the 4 or 6 points make that much difference in where you take a QB since the points for all QB's are effected.

Top QB's from last season where at about 45 TD's, or about 3/week. The next tier of QB's were at about 30, TD's or about 2/week. A 6 point advantage each week over the competition, without including yardage/interceptions, is a big advantage. Top 3 players at other positions, typically aren't going to have this type of advantage over the #4 - 10 guys.