Sign in to follow this  
SameSongNDance

Predicting Benson's 2012 totals..

Benson might quite possibly be the most hyped player heading into the regular season. I keep reading articles pertaining to Benson mentioning words like burst, quickness and explosiveness(crazy, I know). I also saw the same people calling him a potential RB2, so I crunched the numbers.

Ryan Grant and James Starks combined for 267 carries last year. They also combined for 48 receptions for 484 yards and totaled 4 TDs.

Benson's career best YPC was 4.2 in 2009, his highest reception total being 28 which he reached following year.

If the load shouldered by Grant and Starks carried over to Benson this year, we'd be looking at something like 265 carries for 1050-1150 yards, 30 receptions for 200 yards and a TD total of about 4-6 (Arod and Khun should continue poaching). I think this is a safe estimate, with his absolute ceiling probably being 20% above these totals. In PPR, this actually would land him smack dab in the middle of the RB2 pack, making him last year's 17th-19th best RB overall. These stats are also eerily similar to Shonn Greene's of last year (they both possess literally no upside).

In the end, I guess you can justify a 6th rounder for him and there are of course a lot of variables I haven't and can't take into consideration. For instance he'll more than likely be facing softer defensive fronts which could increase his YPC and on the flip side, Alex Green could end up being worked in a lot more by mid-season cutting into his carries/receptions. I think for a rough estimate though, this is pretty good.

yo yo happy 2012/13 season

p.s. benson sucks

i dont think id come close to calling him the most hyped player heading into the 2012 regular season. im not sure where you are seeing or hearing this unless you maybe live in Green Bay and even then, i highly doubt anyone is over hyping him.

what we have here is a guy who was a free agent/waiver wire add or late round draft pick (think teens and beyond) until about a week ago. he might be going too high now but I don't think anyone is drafting him to be any more than a RB3 on their fantasy teams with the possibility he performs like a middle of the road RB2.

the thing to remember here is that all those years Benson was putting up decent production in Cincy, his QB play and the air attack of the Bengals was NOTHING like that of the current Packers team. Defenses can not load the box on him and Rodgers and company should have defenses on their heels. So even if Benson only gets 220 carries, he should have far more room to work than he has in the past. He is not suddenly going to become a guy with great quickness and burst but he provides that veteran presence. The feels almost a little like Corey Dillon going to New England.

1000 yards rushing with 6 scores and even 250 yards receiving with 1 score 1250 total yards and 7 scores is not bad for a RB3 :dunno:

just don't kill the guy after he does relatively nothing week 1 against San Fran. :rolleyes:

i dont think id come close to calling him the most hyped player heading into the 2012 regular season. im not sure where you are seeing or hearing this unless you maybe live in Green Bay and even then, i highly doubt anyone is over hyping him.

what we have here is a guy who was a free agent/waiver wire add or late round draft pick (think teens and beyond) until about a week ago. he might be going too high now but I don't think anyone is drafting him to be any more than a RB3 on their fantasy teams with the possibility he performs like a middle of the road RB2.

the thing to remember here is that all those years Benson was putting up decent production in Cincy, his QB play and the air attack of the Bengals was NOTHING like that of the current Packers team. Defenses can not load the box on him and Rodgers and company should have defenses on their heels. So even if Benson only gets 220 carries, he should have far more room to work than he has in the past. He is not suddenly going to become a guy with great quickness and burst but he provides that veteran presence. The feels almost a little like Corey Dillon going to New England.

1000 yards rushing with 6 scores and even 250 yards receiving with 1 score 1250 total yards and 7 scores is not bad for a RB3 :dunno:

just don't kill the guy after he does relatively nothing week 1 against San Fran. :rolleyes:

Really, you don't see the hype?

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn believes it's been a long time since a Packers running back has "looked like a real back" to the extent that Cedric Benson did Thursday night.

McGinn is one of the most respected beat writers in the country. According to ESPN Milwaukee, Packers players were equally abuzz following Benson's debut. Asked what the veteran brings to the offense, Greg Jennings replied, "If nothing else, (it was) a ‘Woo, did you see that?’ Just the excitement ... He's going to be a huge asset in this offense." Benson compared himself to a "kid in a candy store" facing soft defensive fronts in the Packers' up-tempo, no-huddle offense. He was much more impressive than Alex Green while rotating series versus the Bengals.

Several personnel men scouting the Packers-Bengals game Thursday night told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel "without reservation" that the addition of Cedric Benson makes Green Bay's prolific offense "even better."

"He made me a little nervous," said a scout for an opposing team. "You think they're struggling there (at running back), and then this." Added another personnel man, "He looked good -- really good. Quick. He looks like he fits the offense well. Obviously, he'll start. He's much more consistent (than James Starks)." One of the scouts believes Benson has a legitimate chance to be the Packers' best back since Ahman Green's last productive season in 2006. "He's always been talented," another scout said. "Experienced. He's been through it. And, really, he's almost always been healthy." Benson saw a major bump in the Rotoworld Draft Guide rankings on Friday.

Packers RBs coach Alex Van Pelt observed that Cedric Benson gives the offense an element of "explosiveness."

It's not the word we have used in the past, but Benson looked downright spry in his preseason debut. The offensive line may have contributed to Benson's low yards-per-carry average in Cincinnati, grading out in the bottom third of Pro Football Focus' ratings. For what it's worth, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell noted last December that Benson showed "quick feet, short area quickness and burst" as well as "natural power and cut back ability."

Packers RB Alex Green confirmed that Cedric Benson is "leading off" at tailback in the season opener versus the 49ers.

Green suggested the coaching staff will elaborate on the backfield plans Wednesday, with the two backs being used in a "combo" approach. "He's doing a great job of picking things up," Green said of Benson. "He's a very smart player." We suspect the majority of Green's playing time will come in obvious passing situations. Benson will be the primary early-down back.

It's that kind of hype which had him shoot up draft boards from going in the 13th on average to the 5th in a matter of weeks. He boasted the highest ADP jump amongst all fantasy players. I think I can call that hype. If you frequent fantasy football message boards, I'd think you'd be aware of this.

Really, you don't see the hype?

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn believes it's been a long time since a Packers running back has "looked like a real back" to the extent that Cedric Benson did Thursday night.

McGinn is one of the most respected beat writers in the country. According to ESPN Milwaukee, Packers players were equally abuzz following Benson's debut. Asked what the veteran brings to the offense, Greg Jennings replied, "If nothing else, (it was) a ‘Woo, did you see that?’ Just the excitement ... He's going to be a huge asset in this offense." Benson compared himself to a "kid in a candy store" facing soft defensive fronts in the Packers' up-tempo, no-huddle offense. He was much more impressive than Alex Green while rotating series versus the Bengals.

It has kind of been a while since the Packers were not a mess at RB

Several personnel men scouting the Packers-Bengals game Thursday night told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel "without reservation" that the addition of Cedric Benson makes Green Bay's prolific offense "even better."

"He made me a little nervous," said a scout for an opposing team. "You think they're struggling there (at running back), and then this." Added another personnel man, "He looked good -- really good. Quick. He looks like he fits the offense well. Obviously, he'll start. He's much more consistent (than James Starks)." One of the scouts believes Benson has a legitimate chance to be the Packers' best back since Ahman Green's last productive season in 2006. "He's always been talented," another scout said. "Experienced. He's been through it. And, really, he's almost always been healthy." Benson saw a major bump in the Rotoworld Draft Guide rankings on Friday.

Is this untrue? Is Benson not an upgrade from James Starks? Seems like a Rb upgrade would make the offense better.... no? Im not sure I agree with saying he will be the best since Ahman Green, I think Ryan Grant had a good year somewhere in the past.

Packers RBs coach Alex Van Pelt observed that Cedric Benson gives the offense an element of "explosiveness."

It's not the word we have used in the past, but Benson looked downright spry in his preseason debut. The offensive line may have contributed to Benson's low yards-per-carry average in Cincinnati, grading out in the bottom third of Pro Football Focus' ratings. For what it's worth, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell noted last December that Benson showed "quick feet, short area quickness and burst" as well as "natural power and cut back ability."

Ok. The RBs coach uses the word explosiveness. He happens to be the RBs coach of Green Bay. What do you want him to say? 'Benson is plodding along..." :lol:

Packers RB Alex Green confirmed that Cedric Benson is "leading off" at tailback in the season opener versus the 49ers.

Green suggested the coaching staff will elaborate on the backfield plans Wednesday, with the two backs being used in a "combo" approach. "He's doing a great job of picking things up," Green said of Benson. "He's a very smart player." We suspect the majority of Green's playing time will come in obvious passing situations. Benson will be the primary early-down back.

this is simply one player on the team confirming what we already knew. How is this hype? its factual

It's that kind of hype which had him shoot up draft boards from going in the 13th on average to the 5th in a matter of weeks. He boasted the highest ADP jump amongst all fantasy players. I think I can call that hype. If you frequent fantasy football message boards, I'd think you'd be aware of this.

sorry man, im not seeing any of this as fantasy hype. Half of it is the Packers themselves simply stating the obvious.

Bensons jump in ADP has as much to do with the scarcity of 3 down backs in the NFL as it does with any "hype" he is receiving on fantasy message boards.

There are tons of players getting more fantasy hype than this guy, including but not limited to Julio Jones, Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, Matt Ryan, David Wilson, Jacquizz Rodgers, Rashad Jennings, DeMarco Murray, Antonio Brown, Decker+Thomas in Denver, Victor Cruz, Hernandez, Jimmy Graham......

are you sour that you couldn't land him in the teens rounds by the time your draft rolled around or something?

sorry man, im not seeing any of this as fantasy hype. Half of it is the Packers themselves simply stating the obvious.

Bensons jump in ADP has as much to do with the scarcity of 3 down backs in the NFL as it does with any "hype" he is receiving on fantasy message boards.

There are tons of players getting more fantasy hype than this guy, including but not limited to Julio Jones, Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, Matt Ryan, David Wilson, Jacquizz Rodgers, Rashad Jennings, DeMarco Murray, Antonio Brown, Decker+Thomas in Denver, Victor Cruz, Hernandez, Jimmy Graham......

are you sour that you couldn't land him in the teens rounds by the time your draft rolled around or something?

No, of course not. I landed him in the 10th two weeks ago and subsequently moved him as soon as they hype built up. Now I'm just trying to realistically gauge his value since there's been so much talk about how moving to GB effects his value. How much hype someone is getting is largely subjective, so trying to justify it to you right now would be silly. But yes, he's been hyped lol.

I think he will get 8 or so tds due to the fact that the defense is going to be spread out and trying to stop the pass. Benson is a solid play inside the 5 yard line. I guess I am buying the hype a bit.