Sign in to follow this  
markcc13

Auction Draft Strategy Fail

So, I joined a yahoo free auction league so that I can try out a strategy a coworker told me about. The strategy was to only draft players with a week 7 bye. You basically give up a loss on week 7 but you are always at full strength when other people are dealing with bye weeks.

Long story short someone else had the exact same strategy and it was a major fail for both of us. McCoy went of 57, Julio Jones for 44, and Gates for 30 just to name a few. Both of our teams are terrible since all of our money was lost in our first several pissing matches.

My question is, has anyone else tried this strategy? If so what do you think about it, was it successful? On paper it looks like it could be very strong.

QB - Matt Ryan 15

WR - Julio Jones 32

WR - Roddy White 32

WR - Demaryius Thomas 22

RB - Lesean McCoy 50

RB - Michael Turner 20

TE - Antonio Gates 20

K - Prater 1

D - Denver 1

Then complete the team with fillers. Other possibilities include Ryan Mathews, P. Manning, Phillip Rivers, Jamal Charles, Peyton Hillis, Reggie Bush, Tony Gonzalez, Eric Decker, Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Dwayne Bowe.

You could build a very strong team if no one gets hurt.

while i do understand the idea, it hinges on having all the players you choose perform up to your expectations just like any other lineup you could potentially draft.

if 3-4 of those players bust, then the idea that you are at full strength for all but week 7 goes right out the window.

Also, any week that the Falcons passing game or Falcons team in general gets shut down, you will be negatively impacted on half your roster. A diversified team would not be impacted as badly.