Sign in to follow this  
jerZooy

Torrey Smith vs. Randall Cobb

Hi there, this is my take on this week and these players. Please feel free to rebut or offer any additional insight, I will answer yours if you link me.

ESPN is projecting Cobb to receive 7 points this week to Smith's 16. I am not sure these numbers are going to mean much for me.

Last week the Raven's blow out the Bengals and Smith ended the game with a measly 5 points, it easily could have been 15 or 16 except for the PI that let Ray Rice collect all the points. While the Eagle passing defense is currently the best of 2012, they were playing the Browns so you almost have to throw out that game. I would expect Baltimore to have another explosive win this week, but will that translate to points for Smith?? It's hard to see, it didn't last week...Maybe he has something to prove, in any case he seems high risk high reward.

Cobb on the other hand was Roger's best receiver against a really good 49er's Defense. And this week the Pack's are facing a pretty darn good Bears defense with an outstanding pass rush, additionally the Packer's O-line is questionable at best. This leads me to believe Rogers will be looking to his outlet receiver again much like last week, and Cobb should be able to beat just about any Line Backer when playing out of the backfield like on Monday. I would think Cobb would score much better then 7 points that game.

So now I am in a quandary...who to play? Feel free to suggest I play them both a bench someone else.

I look forward to your insight and Thank You.

Don't trust the projections. They (usually) don't know what they're talking about.

I would roll with Randall Cobb this week. Personally, Torrey Smith is too inconsistent of an option for my taste. But forget my preferences. Cobb should see a ton of targets this week against the Bears, especially with Greg Jennings unlikely to play.

I think the Bears will be looking to take Jordy Nelson out of the game, and GB's James Jones can be unreliable. So if Jennings does indeed sit out, that leaves Randall Cobb and Jermichael Finley as the primary targets. I think both of them will have big games, and Cobb is always a threat in the return game.

Meanwhile, Torrey Smith could be going up against some pretty good corners in Asomugha or Rodgers-Cromartie. I expect the Ravens to run the ball a lot against Philly. Maybe that means the Ravens can sell some play action fakes and get Torrey Smith open deep down field, but you can't really count on that.

I would expect at least 10 points from Cobb. With Torrey, it could be 5 or it could be 20. You don't really know each week. So I would seize the opportunity this week where Cobb is likely the #1 target, and roll with him.

If you wouldn't mind, can you offer your thoughts on my question? Thanks.

Hi there, this is my take on this week and these players. Please feel free to rebut or offer any additional insight, I will answer yours if you link me.

ESPN is projecting Cobb to receive 7 points this week to Smith's 16. I am not sure these numbers are going to mean much for me.

Last week the Raven's blow out the Bengals and Smith ended the game with a measly 5 points, it easily could have been 15 or 16 except for the PI that let Ray Rice collect all the points. While the Eagle passing defense is currently the best of 2012, they were playing the Browns so you almost have to throw out that game. I would expect Baltimore to have another explosive win this week, but will that translate to points for Smith?? It's hard to see, it didn't last week...Maybe he has something to prove, in any case he seems high risk high reward.

Cobb on the other hand was Roger's best receiver against a really good 49er's Defense. And this week the Pack's are facing a pretty darn good Bears defense with an outstanding pass rush, additionally the Packer's O-line is questionable at best. This leads me to believe Rogers will be looking to his outlet receiver again much like last week, and Cobb should be able to beat just about any Line Backer when playing out of the backfield like on Monday. I would think Cobb would score much better then 7 points that game.

So now I am in a quandary...who to play? Feel free to suggest I play them both a bench someone else.

I look forward to your insight and Thank You.

TS is feast or famine

Cobb is somewhere in between. I'd like Cobb more if your league had return yards.

I like consistency, so i'd go with Cobb. That's just me.

TS is feast or famine

Cobb is somewhere in between. I'd like Cobb more if your league had return yards.

I like consistency, so i'd go with Cobb. That's just me.

My teams great weakness is consistency, the only guy who will give me quality numbers all year should be Gronk, maybe Jackson, but he already stiffed me in Week1 (he had a decent game but sucked for fantasy).