Sign in to follow this  
swashbuckler

Is it collusion if....

We don't have a traditional "waiver" system. It's first come first serve....oddly enough it works and everyone approves.

Trade deadline has come and passed.

The issue is that someone has dibs on a guy I want. The same dude also tried to claim someone currently on my team. I told him if he doesn't pick up the guy he claimed dibs on, I'll drop the guy he wants.

It feels like a sneaky way to make a trade via the ww and leaving everyone else out of the picture without the chance to grab either of these guys.

Any thoughts?

col·lu·sion [ kə l'n ] 1.secret cooperation: secret cooperation between people in order to do something illegal or underhanded

You pretty much defined it.

col·lu·sion [ kə l'n ] 1.secret cooperation: secret cooperation between people in order to do something illegal or underhanded

You pretty much defined it.

Hm...now i feel like a d1ck.

Yes, collusion. There is another recent thread here with almost the same scenario. You are using your leagues crappy waiver system to bypass the trade deadline. Time to go to that "traditional waiver system" or blind bidding.

To be fair to you, your weak waiver system openly invites fraud - so I wouldn't place all the blame on you. You need to tighten up those rules next year.

For our league's purposes, we define collusion as "managing another team's actions or future actions." Suggesting that another owner cut a player from his roster without direct trade compensation would fall neatly into that category.

We don't have a traditional "waiver" system. It's first come first serve....oddly enough it works and everyone approves.

The issue is that someone has dibs on a guy I want.

How does someone get "dibs" on a player when you have a first come first serve free agent system? Doesn't really affect whether or not it's collusion, I just wondered how this works.

Yes, collusion. There is another recent thread here with almost the same scenario. You are using your leagues crappy waiver system to bypass the trade deadline. Time to go to that "traditional waiver system" or blind bidding.

"Crappy" is relative. Our waiver system was unanimously voted in. A traditional waiver system would have awarded me the the guy I want in the first place, but I'm not bitter about it. Win some lose some. This system tends to keep everyone involved and competitive. This league is among friends only...next year will be the twenty-year anniversary of the league and we've been very careful about cheaters and those who give up on the season.

The other dude said he'll wait until Wed to consider it. Considering the nature of the transaction, though, I don't think I can go thru with it even if he does accept.

How does someone get "dibs" on a player when you have a first come first serve free agent system? Doesn't really affect whether or not it's collusion, I just wondered how this works.

FA pick-ups are locked until the following day of the last game of the week. We make posts on the message board to make claims. Transactions are usually completed by Wednesday.

Yes, the scenario you described was collusion. Good call on your part for calling the deal off. If this league is indeed composed of good friends, something like this would've painted you & your buddy in a negative light in your group of friends.

The issue is that someone has dibs on a guy I want. The same dude also tried to claim someone currently on my team. I told him if he doesn't pick up the guy he claimed dibs on, I'll drop the guy he wants.

I know someone already pointed out the issue with having dibs on a player in a first come first served system, and you explained how it works, albeit horrible.

The bigger question I had when reading this was how is he also claiming a guy already on your team? He's just dumb or does your league allow poaching?

I know someone already pointed out the issue with having dibs on a player in a first come first served system, and you explained how it works, albeit horrible.

The bigger question I had when reading this was how is he also claiming a guy already on your team? He's just dumb or does your league allow poaching?

Wow.

Sometimes owners blindly try to claim guys that are already on team. It happens as most people don't know follow everyone else's roster. If a guy is already on someones team, they wont be able to add them later. No harm no foul. I'm not sure how "poaching" is relevant...or even correlated, for that matter.

As far as the "horrible" waiver system is concerned...again....as a league we voted on it and there aren't any complaints. Is it fair to everyone?...if you consider your Sunday schedule...maybe not...but it certainly hasn't swayed anyone from playing year after year. Obviously, this league isn't for everyone and forces owners to pay more attention around the league than usual. Rules are clearly understood upon playing for the one spot open every few years or so. Turnover rates as owners are very small. If I remember correctly, there are still 8 of us original owners since the league inception 19 years ago.

Don't like the rules...don't play with us and play somewhere else when the rules are more tailored to your wants. Simple as that.

Trade deadline has come and passed.

It feels like a sneaky way to make a trade via the ww and leaving everyone else out of the picture without the chance to grab either of these guys.

Any thoughts?

Yes.

WW is meant for a guy to sit out there for a week and if someone else wants that player, they get a crack at him.

First come, first serve is stupid. It should always go worst to first or some kind of priority system. We have a guy in our league who is paralized and sits on his computer all day. If we had first come, first serve he'd get every available player....then I'd have to smother him with a pillow.

Yes.

WW is meant for a guy to sit out there for a week and if someone else wants that player, they get a crack at him.

First come, first serve is stupid. It should always go worst to first or some kind of priority system. We have a guy in our league who is paralized and sits on his computer all day. If we had first come, first serve he'd get every available player....then I'd have to smother him with a pillow.

Ha. Fortunately we haven't had that problem. I gotta tell ya...if you're worried about a team that is full of waivered additions then I see two issues. 1, your draft sucked...and 2, your team is in worse shape than the waiver hawks team.

Wow.

Sometimes owners blindly try to claim guys that are already on team. It happens as most people don't know follow everyone else's roster. If a guy is already on someones team, they wont be able to add them later. No harm no foul. I'm not sure how "poaching" is relevant...or even correlated, for that matter.

As far as the "horrible" waiver system is concerned...again....as a league we voted on it and there aren't any complaints. Is it fair to everyone?...if you consider your Sunday schedule...maybe not...but it certainly hasn't swayed anyone from playing year after year. Obviously, this league isn't for everyone and forces owners to pay more attention around the league than usual. Rules are clearly understood upon playing for the one spot open every few years or so. Turnover rates as owners are very small. If I remember correctly, there are still 8 of us original owners since the league inception 19 years ago.

Don't like the rules...don't play with us and play somewhere else when the rules are more tailored to your wants. Simple as that.

I wasn't asking to play with you, nor did I say the waiver rules were not fair. If everyone is playing by the same rules, it is certainly fair.

I questioned claiming a guy on your team because it seems you already use unique rules and maybe this was part of another unique rule. Maybe owners are allowed to "poach" from your bottom barrel players :dunno:

I think allowing players to be "claimed" via league post can open up cans of worms that should otherwise be left sealed. Such as the issue you brought to us in your original post.

Ha. Fortunately we haven't had that problem. I gotta tell ya...if you're worried about a team that is full of waivered additions then I see two issues. 1, your draft sucked...and 2, your team is in worse shape than the waiver hawks team.

My draft sucked. Four keepers: Newton, Rice, CJ2K, and Jimmy Graham.

Drafted: BAD-J. Nelson, Greg Jennings, Matt Flynn, Philly Defense GOOD- Ridley

Added: Amendola, Patriots Defense, CJ Spiller, Wilson

Focking WW saved my season. I'll make the playoffs once Amendola gets healthy.

I think allowing players to be "claimed" via league post can open up cans of worms that should otherwise be left sealed. Such as the issue you brought to us in your original post.

We really haven't had any problems with the process. The original post was about me using collusion to attain a guy already claimed via the board. I noticed he wanted someone I had and I wanted someone he claimed. If the trade deadline hadn't passed, there wouldn't be an issue.

That being said...considering the players involved, it wouldn't make or break either of our seasons.

I must admit, I don't understand this. If you're using a website to host your league, how does an owner not know if a player they want to pick up is already rostered?

When you're trying to add a player, doesn't it show if said player is a free agent or if it's on someone's team? Curious as to what site you use that doesn't have that feature.

I play in a league that doesn't have a waiver system as well & dropped players instantly become free agents instead of having to clear a waiver period. I personally don't care for the setting, but I play in it regardless.

I must admit, I don't understand this. If you're using a website to host your league, how does an owner not know if a player they want to pick up is already rostered?

When you're trying to add a player, doesn't it show if said player is a free agent or if it's on someone's team? Curious as to what site you use that doesn't have that feature.

I play in a league that doesn't have a waiver system as well & dropped players instantly become free agents instead of having to clear a waiver period. I personally don't care for the setting, but I play in it regardless.

Ex: Thursday night game has started. Add/drops for the players on teams playing are locked and cannot be added or dropped. If I want someone on either of those teams, I have to post on the league message board I want to pick up so-in-so. Messages are timestamped. The day following the last game of the week played, the commish processes the add/drops accordingly. The rest us can make the add/drops ourselves, but usually it will go thru the commish.

We use CBS Sports.

So "dibs" gives an owner the ability to claim a player but no obligation to? :blink:

Ohh the humanity! :lol:

Yes, much like the ability to do away with your waiver request should you change your mind before waivers begin to clear in any "normal" process.

I suppose it's an unwritten rule that once someone puts in a claim, its considered a done deal.