Sign in to follow this  
Superdude

Brian Urlacher announces his retirement

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/05/22/brian-urlacher-announces-his-retirement/

After 13 years in the NFL, Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher has announced his retirement, saying he takes pride in having his entire career with only one team.

Urlacher, an eight-time Pro Bowl player and leader of a tough Bears defense that advanced to Super Bowl XLI, made the announcement on Twitter.

“After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire. Although I could continue playing, I’m not sure I would bring a level of performance of passion that’s up to my standards,” he wrote.

“When considering this, along with the fact that I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear. I want to thank all of the people in my life that have helped me along the way. I will miss my teammates, my coaches and the great Bears fans. I’m proud to say that I gave all of you everything I had every time I took the field. I will miss this great game, but I leave it with no regrets.”

Urlacher, 34, and the Bears parted in March, when he and the team were unable to reach agreement on a new contract. The team offered what Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune was a one-year, $2 million contract that he called an “ultimatum, not a negotiation.”

“I wanted to be in Chicago,” Urlacher, who had knee surgery last summer, told the Tribune. “I wanted to finish here.”

Great career for the guy...hated how good he was against the Packers...but liked watching him play and his style.

One of those guys that plays for a rival that you just respect too much to really hate him (like Barry, Megatron, ADP).

Great career for the guy...hated how good he was against the Packers...but liked watching him play and his style.

One of those guys that plays for a rival that you just respect too much to really hate him (like Barry, Megatron, ADP).

Couldn't have said it myself better.

Agreed. Urlacher was the gold standard of MLB's along with Ray Lewis since they came into the league. While he may still have been an impactful player had he played this season for another team, I give him credit for going out on his own terms. I'm sure Bears fans are happy he finished his career as a Chicago Bear instead of signing with the Vikings for one more year.