Sign in to follow this  
dexwest

Modify max bid in auction draft

I have been in several years of auction drafts and over those years I have realized that the auction values are not linear. If you plot the top players each position you will see a very steep drop off in auction value after the first 10-15. Draft Buddy has a much more linear value on max bids. Making the first 10-15 undervalued on max bid and 16-30 are way over valued.

Is there any way to change the calculation used to generate the max bid?

thanks

After compiling, you can change them manually right on the cheatsheets.

Another option is to change the overall ranking method and/or baselines on the options tab. What those will do is adjust the point from which the dollars above minimum are allocated across the draftable player pool. Below the baseline at each position all players will be set at the minimum bid. In the past I received feedback that Draft Buddy wasn't distributing the dollars enough across the available players, so I made the Compiler Auction Recommended method to move the baseline down and have fewer min bid players. Mess around with it and see if you can get results more to your liking... and then do manual adjustments for your final numbers.

Note if you make manual adjustments on the cheatsheets, and compile again, it will wipe out your changes, so you'll want to do that last.

Thank for the quick response. I will give those a try.

One thing that might be nice for future is if I could plug in my last couple years draft auction results . Then use those to determine bid price for each player. I am trying to figure out how to do that now with the existing product.

p.s I have been using Draft buddy for 5+ years. Everyone in my league depends on me for entering players and bids to track the draft. At this point its the only piece of software I buy each year before my draft.

Sweet, dexwest. Nice to hear! I do find Buddy a little difficult towards the end of auctions, when some teams have a full roster and the nomination order changes. I've never figured out a solution for that with Draft Buddy. Just something to be aware of for auction drafters. Usually at that point of the auction, most players are $1 anyway and the nominating teams gets them, so as long as you can slot the player somewhere next to the nominating team, you're good.

In terms of tracking prior results, how about this for an idea...

- grab prior year results from the auction and sort from highest winning bid to lowest, by position. put this in separate Excel file

- Draft Buddy this year, hit Compile Cheatsheets

- copy player names from cheatsheets (offense tab) and paste them in new Excel sheet to the left of the dollar values from last year

- copy that data (new names, last year's values) and paste into Projection Pal on each position Raw tab

- use Projection Pal to drop those values into Buddy in the Custom 1 field

There you go. You've got them in Draft Buddy. Your QB1 this year has the top value paid for a QB last year, etc., etc. On the "with notes" cheatsheets, you could even compare this year's value with last year's final value.