Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Dilemmas at WR...

Over the years I've not been one to ask for input on my team, realizing what an ass-pain it is to do so. I like to row my own boat, and will do so here, but WELCOME any and all commentary as I set my team. I'd like to think I've contributed to this board over the years, so gratitude beforehand.

I play in an auction/keeper league, which has a unique rule regarding rookies. If you draft a rookie, and keep him on your squad for a full season, you get franchise rights to that rookie for three full seasons (protected from free agency bids.) While potentially a bonanza if you hit on a rookie, this can be a double edged sword, and also skewers the worth of rookies in relation to veterans.

Right now I have three rookie WR's on my team, with salary in para.

Keenan Allen ($4)

Robert Woods ($2)

Markus Wheaton ($1)

I was just looking to draft one rookie, but ended up with three. It's just the way it turned out. I'd like to keep one, and am leaning on Wheaton. I like his speed, and the fact Sanders will probably be gone next year. I see a lot of Mike Wallace in this kid, and I like the Pittsburgh passing game. The QB situation in Buffalo is a mess, and that offense will run through Spiller (when it does.) Allen has a unique situation with SD injuries to WR's, but not sure he has game breaking potential of Wheaton. Again, looking at the LONG TERM here.

With these two spots thus opened I have a shot at the following vets, who are YES, sitting on the WW. These guys will be my WR 3 and WR 4 as I already have Fitz and Torrey Smith on roster.

Cecil Shorts

Josh Gordon

Golden Tate

Hakeem Nicks

Michael Floyd

Vincent Brown

I am leaning Josh Gordon and Cecil Shorts. Gordon is a beast with strong physical tools. QB situation CLE is not overly pathetic, and they have a running game. Shorts production in a horrible 2012 JAX offense was better than Blackmon's who is suspended four games to start this year. And I think the JAX QB situation is better than people think this year. Tate will have Harvin coming back, Nicks' injury history is alarming, as is Brown's to a lesser degree. I LOVE Michael Floyd, but with Fitz on my roster do you pull that trigger? That's a lot of eggs in the basket if Palmer gets knocked out.

Again, I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks.

i know its the standard answer but, 8 team league? 6 team league? how are guys like Shorts and Nicks free agents. These guys should probably be rostered in 4 team leagues.

Gordon could be a free agent in some shallow 10 teamers if no one wants to stash for 2 weeks.

I would absolutely grab Shorts and Nicks

i know its the standard answer but, 8 team league? 6 team league? how are guys like Shorts and Nicks free agents. These guys should probably be rostered in 4 team leagues.

Gordon could be a free agent in some shallow 10 teamers if no one wants to stash for 2 weeks.

Thank you for responding. Yeah I tried to explain, rules in our league place an emphasis on rookies that otherwise would seem ridiculous. We are auction/keeper, with four of our seven allowed keepers exposed year to year via free agency. Rookies are protected above and beyond that. We are apples and oranges from re-draft, which may be what you play. We are 12 teams, IDP, $160 cap, and most of our guys are pretty knowledgeable. This rookie thing really skewers norms. One guy carried DeShaun Jackson for several years at $2. But it also over inflates. You just have to hit.

Anyhow, the two game suspension disregarded, you're saying Nicks over Gordon? I know Nicks is still young, and is actually unrestricted in 2014, but damn, that injury history is significant. Any thoughts on the three rooks?

Nicks is overrated. And in a short league with small rosters I can see him not going. He went late in my 10 team drafts. I hate 12 team leagues before I hear comments.... for reasons I don't really want to hijack this thread for.

Shorts, meh he is a JAG

Nicks is overrated. And in a short league with small rosters I can see him not going. He went late in my 10 team drafts. I hate 12 team leagues before I hear comments.... for reasons I don't really want to hijack this thread for.

Shorts, meh he is a JAG

I hear your take on the Jags, but it looks like the light may be coming on with Gabbert. And behind him Henne has not looked horrible. In any event, with MJD back, this will not be last years JAX train wreck.