Sign in to follow this  
LSUtiger

Any Yahoo scoring change for NE DST week 13?

Is there anything to worry about with Yahoo adjusting their scoring of NE DST for week 13?

Yahoo currently has NE DST surrendering 28-34 points, which usually triggers negative points for most leagues (mine included). However, 6 of those 28-34 points (not counting XP which all count against team defense) was on a blocked punt returned for a TD by PHI.

Does that get blocked punt for TD get overturned to not counting as points surrendered by NE DST?

I'm sure many close games, mine included would be affected. In fact, as it stands, I won by ONE point. Should it get changed, I'll lose by one. My melt will be epic.

Yahoo doesn't count touchdowns scored while the team's offense is on the field. So the pick six by Malcolm Jenkins isn't scored, but the PAT is

Yahoo doesn't count touchdowns scored while the team's offense is on the field. So the pick six by Malcolm Jenkins isn't scored, but the PAT is

Not worried about the pick 6 score but PHI's blocked punt return for TD. Assuming that counts as points against the NE DST then I'm good...

Not worried about the pick 6 score but PHI's blocked punt return for TD. Assuming that counts as points against the NE DST then I'm good...

Yes. Those points are against the Patriots fantasy D/ST

• Like 1

Technically, that is the Pats offense on the field for that play. An offensive team lined up to punt doesn't turn into ST until the punted ball crosses the line of scrimmage, or otherwise becomes out of the reach of the defense to block. The Pats could have picked up the blocked punt and advanced it for a first down, so that was actually the Phi D scoring on the Pats O.

Technically, that is the Pats offense on the field for that play. An offensive team lined up to punt doesn't turn into ST until the punted ball crosses the line of scrimmage, or otherwise becomes out of the reach of the defense to block. The Pats could have picked up the blocked punt and advanced it for a first down, so that was actually the Phi D scoring on the Pats O.

In Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football, scoring for the Points Allowed category in leagues using Team DEF/ST includes the following situations:

• All TDs scored against the defense
  • All FGs scored by the opponent
  • All PATs (Extra Points and 2-PT conversions)
  • Special Teams Scoring
    • Kickoff returns for touchdowns
    • Punt returns for touchdowns
    • Blocked punts returned for touchdowns
  • All other scoring categories chosen within the league

In Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football, scoring for the Points Allowed category in leagues using Team DEF/ST includes the following situations:

• All TDs scored against the defense
  • All FGs scored by the opponent
  • All PATs (Extra Points and 2-PT conversions)
  • Special Teams Scoring
    • Kickoff returns for touchdowns
    • Punt returns for touchdowns
    • Blocked punts returned for touchdowns
  • All other scoring categories chosen within the league

Yahoo can score it however they want, but the NFL considers blocked punt returns to be points allowed by the offense

Yahoo can score it however they want, but the NFL considers blocked punt returns to be points allowed by the offense

This is a fantasy football message board and this situation involved a scoring system by Yahoo.

And cite a source that says the NFL considers that to be points allowed by the offense, because I don't see anything of the sort.

If the special teams runs a fake FG, fake punt, botched punt/FGA and nets yards, that's considered offense.

But once the ball is kicked (which it clearly has to be in order for a punt to be blocked), it's a special teams play as far as I've EVER known or heard the rule to be.

The bigger question is.. are we worried about New England Defense all together going into the playoffs? Tennesee week 15 should be nice but I'm worried about wk 16 vs Jets who has looked great this season.

This is a fantasy football message board and this situation involved a scoring system by Yahoo.

And cite a source that says the NFL considers that to be points allowed by the offense, because I don't see anything of the sort.

If the special teams runs a fake FG, fake punt, botched punt/FGA and nets yards, that's considered offense.

But once the ball is kicked (which it clearly has to be in order for a punt to be blocked), it's a special teams play as far as I've EVER known or heard the rule to be.

Relax….I'm aware this is a fantasy football message board, and I'm merely pointing out that Yahoo's scoring system in this particular case is not in alignment with the NFL rules. I have no strong feelings on Yahoo’s scoring system. I'm not going to e-mail Yahoo to suggest they change it. I really don't care what they do.

NFL rules state that a blocked punt that does not cross the LOS can be advanced by either team. If recovered by the kicking team, they need to make the first down mark in order to retain possession. Thus, logic dictates that an advancement of a blocked punt behind the line of scrimmage by the receiving team is advanced against the offense. It's essentially treated like a fumble. It doesn't turn into a ST play once the ball is kicked. I don't blame you for thinking that, I used to think that way too myself, but a little research goes a long way.

The NFL will not have a rule specifying "this particular play is considered to be points allowed by the offense" because they simply don't get into that much detail. A reading of the rule, and application of logic, are the determining factors.

The official 2015 NFL rule book, available to the public as a pdf, states:

SECTION 3 CATCH OR RECOVERY OF A SCRIMMAGE KICK

ARTICLE 1 KICKERS CATCH OR RECOVERY BEHIND THE LINE When a scrimmage kick is caught or recovered by the kicking team behind the line of scrimmage, the kicking team may advance, even if the ball has crossed the line and returned behind the line.

Item 1 Same Series of Downs. If the ball has returned behind the line untouched by the receiving team beyond the line, and the kicking team catches or recovers the ball, the existing series of downs continues unless the kicking team advances the ball to the line to gain, in which case there is a new series of downs.

NFL rules state that a blocked punt that does not cross the LOS can be advanced by either team. If recovered by the kicking team, they need to make the first down mark in order to retain possession. Thus, logic dictates that an advancement of a blocked punt behind the line of scrimmage by the receiving team is advanced against the offense. It's essentially treated like a fumble. It doesn't turn into a ST play once the ball is kicked. I don't blame you for thinking that, I used to think that way too myself, but a little research goes a long way.

The NFL will not have a rule specifying "this particular play is considered to be points allowed by the offense" because they simply don't get into that much detail. A reading of the rule, and application of logic, are the determining factors.

http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

When a punt or a field goal attempt is blocked and recovered by the offensive team behind the line of scrimmage, any running advance is treated as miscellaneous yardage

When a punt or a field goal attempt is blocked and recovered by the offensive team behind the line of scrimmage, any running advance is treated as miscellaneous yardage

Huh, interesting....I see it goes on to say:

In the rare case where the offensive player attempts a forward pass after a blocked kick, include it as a passing attempt and any completion as passing yardage.

I like how the NFL justifies its inconsistency by calling it a "rare case", like your mother telling you it's OK to stay up past your bedtime "just this one time."

So, it looks like it you wouldn't be wrong if you scored it either way. In light of the NFL's inconsistency here, I'll allow Yahoo's "Points Allowed" rule. :thumbsup:

Huh, interesting....I see it goes on to say:

I like how the NFL justifies its inconsistency by calling it a "rare case", like your mother telling you it's OK to stay up past your bedtime "just this one time."

So, it looks like it you wouldn't be wrong if you scored it either way. In light of the NFL's inconsistency here, I'll allow Yahoo's "Points Allowed" rule. :thumbsup:

Inconsistency is the only consistent aspect of the NFL these days