Sign in to follow this  
rrmcguire

defensive player worth holding?

Is a defense player ever worth holding onto? I have Landon Collins on a bye this week and would need to drop him or Derrick Henry to pickup another...I really don't want to drop Collins as he's been solid all year.

I just picked up Collins after his performance on Sunday and plan on holding him through the bye. Is there anyone else you can drop? In my league he's the #1 defensive player for the year. Can you hold Henry until the thursday game and then drop him after that if possible?

I may do that but I was going to pickup either Kenneth Dixon or Moncrief with the Henry drop.....just wondering if go with one defensive player this week.

Well that totally depends on your scoring. For instance in my league, a good IDP perfomance is 20 pts, and the stud LBs usually avg close to that every week. A good team weekly score is right around 190-200 pts in that same league. In my instance, it would pretty much guarantee a loss to not have a defensive player as you are likely throwing away about 10% of your potential point total for the week. However, if the scoring isn't as heavy on IDPs, you could maybe swing it. On the same note, my kicker is Tucker and I'm thinking of going without a K this week as a replacement K is only projected for about 8 pts, so may not be worth the rostter sacrifice.

I'll say this. For my league, Collins is avg 22 pts a game. Next highest WW IDP player is avg 18 pts a game (T. Jefferson) and then next highest is Jatavis Brown at 16 pts a game. For my league, Collins isn't droppable because there is a 4-6 point falloff to the next best option. Thats a pretty big difference. Who else is on WW in your league? If there are other solid options you may be ok to drop him, but if not I'd hold

We play 5 IDPs in one league and 7 in another. It's rare that one is so good as to warrant keeping while on a bye. If you have a deep bench, ok, but if not, you can get another IDP. This is certainly true if you only play 2 or 3.

Collins had a huge game against the Rams (who doesn't) and big game against the Ravens. Prior to that, he was good, not great. By one league's rules his year long weekly scores have been: 7, 9.5, 7.5, 9.5, 7.5, 15, and 26. The 15 and 26 are not sustainable. So, is he worth holding for the 8.2 he was averaging in the other 5 games or not? I'd think not.

When I think of IDPs too good to not keep on their byes, I think of Watt, Kuechly, Bowman, and R Jones. Other than that, pretty much, the difference might be 1 or 2 ppg and consistency. Is it worth it?