Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - Jalen Reagor, Eagles

Height/Weight: 5' 11"/206
College: TCU
NFL Comp: Parris Campbell

Reagor's production last season was hardly indicative of the kind of prospect he is. Only 30.7 percent of his targets were deemed accurate by Pro Football Focus in 2019, so it becomes necessary to dig into his 2018 film more than perhaps any other receiver prospect that will be discussed. It's a shame that his quarterbacking was so poor because it deprived college football fans from seeing a prospect that often looks like lightning in a bottle. While his 40 time (4.47) didn't quite match up to the tape - he reportedly ran a 4.29 last spring - and his three-cone (7.31) was one of the worst in Indy by a receiver in the last 20 years, his vertical (42 inches) and broad (11' 6") jumps were among the best ever recorded by a receiver at the Combine - often the best tests in terms of putting a number of a player's explosiveness. Put simply, defensive backs have to hope for an overthrow if they find themselves in the open field in a one-on-one tackling situation or miss the jam with Reagor.

Among the potential concerns for the former Big 12 Co-Offensive Freshman of the Year: he probably needs to begin his career as an off-ball receiver (preferably in the slot), a few too many concentration drops and too much reliance currently on his athletic ability. It seems fairly obvious TCU was more concerned on how to manufacture offense given its spotty quarterback play than it was developing Reagor as a route-runner, so there will be a learning curve if the Eagles are hoping he can be a lead receiver one day. At the very least, Philadelphia should now have its long-term replacement for DeSean Jackson and a high-end slot option. If WR coach Aaron Moorehead does his job, however, Reagor will provide a much-needed jolt to an offense that has become too tight end-centric of late.

What does it mean in redraft? I would have preferred a bigger receiver for Philly (there's a few in this draft), but Reagor finds himself in the best spot for immediate fantasy production. Among other things, Alshon Jeffery and Jackson both struggle to stay healthy. Reagor should fit nicely right away as the primary slot option, and it obviously won't take much luck for him to crack the starting lineup early. As such, Reagor makes sense as a WR4 in redrafts, although there is high-end WR3 upside if recent history holds with Jeffery and Jackson.

What does it mean for dynasty? There's a clear path to Reagor becoming the Eagles' top receiver as soon as 2021. While it's too early to say where he will stack up at receiver in rookie drafts, he's a good bet to come off the board regularly within the first eight picks. (Will update again after the draft is completed.)

2 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Don't like Reagor or his fit?

Makes no sense a massive reach for a small wr. Dude has trouble gettin off the line, is more of a straight line runner, lead all the wideouts in drops. NO thank you. Hes a sh!tty version of Maclin...... Howie is gettin roasted in philly. This was one of the worst picks ive seen....... You let Lamb fall to the cowboys this year..... He takes J.J sh!tside over Metcalf.... pathetic rant over mic dropped

2 minutes ago, eagles115 said:

Makes no sense a massive reach for a small wr. Dude has trouble gettin off the line, is more of a straight line runner, lead all the wideouts in drops. NO thank you. Hes a sh!tty version of Maclin...... Howie is gettin roasted in philly. This was one of the worst picks ive seen....... You let Lamb fall to the cowboys this year..... He takes J.J sh!tside over Metcalf.... pathetic rant over mic dropped

Not saying I would have made the pick if I was Philly. I thought Pittman or Sims made more sense. I think much of Reagor's drop issues came from bad hand placement though. He is electric in the open field though, but I agree with you that Philly better be pretty sure it can fix his hands.

I'm on board with the J.J. hate, although everyone has seemingly forgotten the big issue with Metcalf last year was his durability.