Sign in to follow this  
Odessit80

What is your draft strategy

Was it a two QB league? Or were you just stacking up on QBs so others would not get him? If someone did that in my league he would get chewed up by people. One guy last year in a auction draft did this, he took three of the top four QBs. He didnt have a good enough season though as he missed playoffs.

1 QB league. I "sacrificed" WR to keep two additional top QBs out of the hands of my opponents, the idea being to eliminate a couple competitors while gaining trade value IF I needed it.

Last year, I happened to go McCoy and Manning with my first two picks, also got Bernard, Gordon, Edelman and KC D with my last pick, so I drafted well for the most part, which was probably the real reason for my success.

The backup QBs I took ended up having terrible seasons (Brady and RG3 in 3rd and 5th round, respectively), but I still had the chance to trade one of them and Cecil Shorts (who I got by trading Bernard Pierce post Ray Rice injury) for DeSean Jackson, which would have won me the league, but instead I just dealt Brady and Greg Olsen for TY Hilton and Jordan Reed.

Despite recognizing that my success was in large part due to some great draft picks, I think there is still merit to the fact that you're not necessarily sacrificing too much by taking the best value with backup QBs and can make up for the sacrifice at WR with good drafting later.

Over thinking and under thinking simultaenously is my specialty. Making it to the playoffs i agree, they dont need to prep a lot. I still do wonder how the one guy gets his mid-late round sleeper rbs right every year.

He might not prep as much, but maybe he watches a lot of football? College, Redzone, (Camp Info), etc?

I mean if you know football and watch guy's, you can see who's really good out there. He might just be a great judge of talent or scout per say. Probably gets latest camp info right before the draft which can be huge.

You wouldn't need to study as much during the year, where it can steer you in wrong directions from the beginning.

But, I'd be curous as to examples of players he's picked in the last few years and if there are patterns?

(i.e. good team, good qb, college and rookie guys, fast guy's, big guys, #1 projected guy's, Just good deals, lucky, etc.?)

Studying online and then forming your list to media outlets can all take away from that and lead you to mixed reviews and feelings.

Like you said, "overthinking" or how I might put it "following the majority trends and mocks/ADP"

Ex. Gerhart. - I probably won't even draft that guy. To me he has no star talent, on a bad team, and unproven rusher. From my evaluations of the player I don't like him. Not my idea of a sleeper. Yet, he's being hyped a great deal and in everybody's rankings from what I see.

That's what makes F.F. fun though. If it were a perfect science it would be math.

I have a friend that just watches a lot of football and especially college football, ESPN, and then gets the latest camp info right before the draft. He takes the current list (usually to provide a ranking system) and then starts crossing guy's off that list that he won't draft.

He will only draft his circled guy's based on his watching them in the past or knowing them/or likes the measureables.

He lets everybody else draft those guy's he crossed off.

Sometimes he reaches big time depending on how the draft flows. But, he hits on a TON of studs and does very well. It's very interesting and boggles my mind. He's one of the best in that league probably. I think he's more inconsistant then me, but right there with me.

(I'd say he hits on way more stud "carear years" then me even though lately I've been winning more)

1 QB league. I "sacrificed" WR to keep two additional top QBs out of the hands of my opponents, the idea being to eliminate a couple competitors while gaining trade value IF I needed it.

Last year, I happened to go McCoy and Manning with my first two picks, also got Bernard, Gordon, Edelman and KC D with my last pick, so I drafted well for the most part, which was probably the real reason for my success.

The backup QBs I took ended up having terrible seasons (Brady and RG3 in 3rd and 5th round, respectively), but I still had the chance to trade one of them and Cecil Shorts (who I got by trading Bernard Pierce post Ray Rice injury) for DeSean Jackson, which would have won me the league, but instead I just dealt Brady and Greg Olsen for TY Hilton and Jordan Reed.

Despite recognizing that my success was in large part due to some great draft picks, I think there is still merit to the fact that you're not necessarily sacrificing too much by taking the best value with backup QBs and can make up for the sacrifice at WR with good drafting later.

no im sorry but I cant condone that strategy and you wasted 2 high picks by taking brady and rg3. Any success you had was totally dumb luck from your late picks and nothing more. Drafting people to affect other teams is about the worst strategy you can use. Also trading a qb in fantasy is nigh impossible, since other team will be happy to just roll with whatever guy they have rather than give up precious wr/rb value. You cant even trade brees for an rb2 to a guy who has jay cutler or romo. They will happily "ride it out" with their guy. Also, instead of brady and rg3 you could have just drafted desean yourself and whoever else you were targetting in a trade.

Im not looking for a rebuttal about how this works for you every year and im being mean and shortsighted, im sorry, but theres just no value in taking multiple qbs high with the intent on cutting off other teams. You simply cut yourself off 100% of the time and no one will trade anything to you for those qbs even if they had ended up being studs. Im saying this to help you and hopefully talk any poor soul thinking of using this startegy themselves.

I've done this. I've also taken 3 QBs in first 5 rounds. Managed to have best team in 14 team league both seasons.

:pointstosky: