Sign in to follow this  
esoitl

what exactly is it?

ive never gotten it before but what all does it have in it?

just a little excel spreadsheet...

;)

So helpful zippychi... :D

esoitl, try these links from 2004 which describe the Compiler and Draft Buddy:

Intro

Features

Screen Shots

If you have specific questions after that, fire away.

If you are going to arm yourself with one single tool to assist you in your draft, this is the one. In fact, this is all I have used the last 2 years.

If you are going to arm yourself with one single tool to assist you in your draft, this is the one. In fact, this is all I have used the last 2 years.

Awesome testimonial MoFunk! :rolleyes:

Awesome testimonial MoFunk! :clap:

:headbanger:

It is really nice going to your draft being the most organized person there. By appling our scoring system, it really added value to the information I needed to selected best value in later rounds like Antonio Gates TE who I felt was the steal of the draft. So in a nutshell this is a tool designed to make you look good during the draft. Get it!!

And this year it will look even better!!!

I'm not sure the overall "look" is going to be that different, but it is going to do a number of new things and some old things a lot better.

Question about some of the scoring modifiers that are capable of adding into the Compiler. The league profile for this site doesn't seem to have 'em listed so I figured it would be good to ask.

The league that I'm running has the following scoring options that may not be customary to other leagues:

Passing

Every 5 pass completions 1

Every 10 pass incompletions -1

40+ yard TD pass bonus 2

300-399 yard passing game 1

400+ yard passing game 2

Rushing

Every 10 rush attempts 1

40+ yard TD rush bonus 2

100-199 yard rushing game 1

200+ yard rushing game 2

Receiving

Every 5 receptions 1

40+ yard TD rec bonus 2

100-199 yard receiving game 1

200+ yard receiving game 2

Defensive Players

Each Pass Defended 0.5

Each Fumble Forced 1

Tackles for Loss 1

Each Solo Tackle 0.5

Every 3 Total Tackles 1

Punting

Each Punt Blocked -2 Each Punt Inside 20 2

Punt Average 44.0+ 3 Punt Average 42.0-43.9 2

Punt Average 40.0-41.9 1 Punt Average 36.0-37.9 -1

Punt Average 34.0-35.9 -2 Punt Average 33.9 or less -3

Kicking Each PAT Made 1 Each PAT Missed -1

FG Made (0-39 yards) 3 FG Made (40-49 yards) 4

FG Made (50+ yards) 5 FG Missed (0-39 yards) -2

FG Missed (40-49 yards) -1

Does the Compiler have functionality to use the scoring modifiers currently?

Hi SmoovJello. See my answers in bold:

Passing

Every 5 pass completions 1  Yes

Every 10 pass incompletions -1    Yes

40+ yard TD pass bonus 2    Yes

300-399 yard passing game 1    Yes, all games over 300 yards.

400+ yard passing game 2    Not exactly, but since it is relatively rare we would not realistically predict any player to throw for over 400 yards. The category we use is over 300 yards so we will catch half the points here.

Rushing

Every 10 rush attempts 1  Yes

40+ yard TD rush bonus 2  Yes

100-199 yard rushing game 1  Yes, all games over 100 yards.

200+ yard rushing game 2  Not exactly, same reason as passing yards noted above. We use over 100 yards rushing/receiving.

Receiving

Every 5 receptions 1 Yes 

40+ yard TD rec bonus 2  Yes

100-199 yard receiving game 1  Yes, as above.

200+ yard receiving game 2  Ditto above.

Defensive Players

Each Pass Defended 0.5  Yes

Each Fumble Forced 1      Yes

Tackles for Loss 1  Yes

Each Solo Tackle 0.5  Yes

Every 3 Total Tackles 1  Yes

Punting

Each Punt Blocked -2  We don't include punters in the Compiler.

Each Punt Inside 20 2 

Punt Average 44.0+ 3  Punt Average 42.0-43.9 2 

Punt Average 40.0-41.9 1  Punt Average 36.0-37.9 -1 

Punt Average 34.0-35.9 -2  Punt Average 33.9 or less -3 

Kicking Each PAT Made 1  Each PAT Missed -1 

FG Made (0-39 yards) 3  FG Made (40-49 yards) 4 

FG Made (50+ yards) 5  FG Missed (0-39 yards) -2 

FG Missed (40-49 yards) -1 

Yes to all of this for kickers.

Overall, I think the Compiler does a great job customising the scoring to your league. On the extra bonuses for 400/200/200 yard games, we're talking 1 point difference for every game a player exceeds 400/200/200. That is a pretty insignificant difference and won't cause any change in the rankings or values at the end of the day.

The only snafu is punters. I'm sorry but we don't do punter projections, and especially the averages need to be broken down on a per game basis to calculate the scoring, which is pretty much impossible to do with any accuracy. Given the projection constraints I'm not sure there is any value in including punters in the Compiler (if I decided to add that functionality).

If I was in your situation, then I would keep a separate punter list to draft at a point in time where you think they should be drafted relative to the other players. I would guess this is fairly low in the draft based on the scoring and their unpredictability. Draft Buddy does include the list of punters by team for your reference.

Thanks very much for the interest. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what the program will do for my personal use, and it looks good so I am leaning towards buying it. The question I have is...

I am the commissioner of one of my leagues and I was planning on eliminating the paper draftboard from my league's "live draft" this year. I have a laptop and the necessary cables to connect my monitor with my television to display it on my TV. Can this program be used at all in that way? To display and update as the draft progresses, as well as possibly adding the players to the teams that draft them?

Sorry if I am way off on what the "Draft Buddy" is, but it sounds kinda like it may have these capabilities, so I had to ask.

Also, if it doesn't...Is there anything you would recommend using to do this.

Thanks.

Sure Yo Son!!!. it can be used exactly that way. It has numerous views to display the draft progress updated every time you enter a new pick (pick by pick, team rosters, etc.). You can just tab through them to show the displays the other owners want to see.

Now, what you might not want is people to see your player rankings as you're drafting. What you could do is run 2 copies of Buddy on your computer at the same time. You'll just have to change the filename of one of them. Keep one as the official draft tracker, and one for your use. When you want to view your rankings to decide on your pick, take it off the TV screen, decide your pick, input it and then put the display back on TV.

Hmm... only thing with this suggestion is you would have to input the picks twice to keep both Buddy files up to date. Anyway, it would be suitable for what you are after. You'd just have to figure out the best way to keep of your own personal draft info and not display it to the others.

Thanks for the interest. Cheers.

You could also use the dual monitor feature built into WinXP, and extend one of your Excel windows to a second monitor (or TV).

best draft tool by far....been using it for a few years now and it gets better every year, but the best part about the product is the customer service. I don't think I've ever waited more than a few hours for a response to any question I've had. Mike goes out of his way to make sure the product does what you need.

Guest cloyd

No question this is THE tool to have at your draft. Especially in those late rounds when everyone else is just scrambling to come up with a name that someone isn't going to laugh at. I know that I will continue to use CC & DB for as long as it's offered. :thumbsup:

Been using the Compiler for 3 years and made the playoffs every time. Last year 3 buddies and I did a 4 team auction league for fun (and a free lunch this draft). I ran it through the compiler and got what looked like oddly high values for some players, but decided to use it anyway....well, it worked fantastically. The other guys balked at the value I placed on several players, but I spanked the 4 of them all season long!!! :rolleyes: It does a wonderful job of figuring the comparative values of players at different positions. My problem this year is a new computer that only has a 2 month trial of Excel. Will have to either save the trial or copy if off the old computer if possible. USE IT, IT WORKS!!

But don't forget to do your own homework as well <_< :rolleyes: