Sign in to follow this  
redtodd

Airlines are the suck

So my grandmother dies this evening. I call Northwest to ask about rates. They say that it is $565. I look online while I am talking to her and I see it is $550. They are going to charge me an extra $15 for my grandmothers death.

US Air and Delta don't even offer the special rates.

I guess I had to plan my grandmothers death two weeks ago.

So my grandmother dies this evening. I call Northwest to ask about rates. They say that it is $565. I look online while I am talking to her and I see it is $550. They are going to charge me an extra $15 for my grandmothers death.

US Air and Delta don't even offer the special rates.

I guess I had to plan my grandmothers death two weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. :bench: I posted a link about my cousin's son dying, same deal here. Difference is, it is not even worth asking in my case because it is not an immediate relative. $700 round trip to Newark... oh well, in the end family >>>>>>>>>>> money. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about that. T&P

Did you check with AirTran? Southwest does not fly near you and they are usually good at last minute fairs. Other options include connections through Chicago.

Bereavement fares are not really a bargain. They typically only give you some flexibility on making changes.

You are pretty much going to get boned no matter what you do. This is all Costanza's fault :mad:

Southwest does not fly near you and they are usually good at last minute fairs.

I fly Southwest a bazillion times a year. Surprisingly, their fares for me to Philly were worse than I could get on America West/US Airways to Newark, which was much more convenient as well. But in general I agree with your statement.

I fly Southwest a bazillion times a year. Surprisingly, their fares for me to Philly were worse than I could get on America West/US Airways to Newark, which was much more convenient as well. But in general I agree with your statement.

Except I spelled it wrong :mad:

ETA: ... and if you fly them a bazillion times a year, you would think that you would have a free flight waiting for you. I have used those a few times in going to the Super Bowl.

Last time I needed a flight due to death in the family, I found it cheaper to just book a flight as opposed to asing for their special rate.

I thought it was BS.

Except I spelled it wrong :mad:

ETA: ... and if you fly them a bazillion times a year, you would think that you would have a free flight waiting for you. I have used those a few times in going to the Super Bowl.

I fly them enough that my wife has a companion pass and flies free with me whenever we travel. And I have enough free tix that we just booked 4 for the family to Orlando in October.

Used to be that if SW had a seat on a flight, you could use a free ticket. I just learned today that that is no longer the case; they cut them off after they get to a certain capacity apparently. I'm quite disappointed, as there were flights to Philly that would have worked. My baby airline is growing up and I don't like it. :angry:

I ended up lucking out. I used 35,000 of my miles to fly from Wednesday to Sunday. I fly 1st class on the way home.

If my job didn't send me to Europe so much, I would be focked.