Sign in to follow this  
Daltnator

Thoughts on my first pick

Ok, I had posted something similar a couple of weeks ago, but keepers have been announced now and I have a definite scoring system.

12 teams, 2 keepers, PPR

Lineup is QB, RB, WR, WR, Flex(RB/WR/TE), TE, K, DST, 7 Bench and 1 IR

Scoring is 1 pt per 10 yards passing, rushing and receiving. TDs are 4 pts passing and 6 pts rush/rec. Bonus pts are 1 pt @ 300 yds passing, 2 pts @ 400 yds passing, 2 pts @ 100 yds rush/rec, 3 pts @ 200 yds rush/rec, 1 pt for 40+ yd & 2 pt for 50+ yd TD passing/rush/rec. Negative 2 pts for INT & fumbles. Standard scoring for DSTs and kickers

The Keepers off the Board are as follows: Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Jamal, Shady, AP, Forte, Lynch, Morris, Stacey, Lacy, Foster, Ryan Matthews, Megatron, Dez, AJ Green, D Thomas, B Marshall, A Jeffrey, Eric Decker, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Fitzgerald and Jimmy Graham.

I have the 3rd overall pick(essentially 3.03) and my Keepers were A. Foster & Forte. My question is this: With the point per 10 yd passing, does that value QBs to the point of taking Stafford with my first selection? I was kind of thinking so because we can only start 2 RBs( RB and FLEX) and I already. Have 2 really good options, but then I see that Foster is dealing with hammy issues and, of course, I will need bye week options.

The RBs that will be available to me with my first pick are tantalizing 3rd round values! Monte Ball, Leveon Bell, DeMarco, Gio, and Spiller! The owner picking first will pick one of them as he kept a QB and WR, the owner picking second REALLY wants Garcon(Skins fan!). So, I should have my pick of whoever owner 1 doesn't pick.

If I take the RB, I hope Stafford or Romo will be available with my next pick(19 picks later!). My WR corp will suffer greatly if I take this strategy.

So, in summary, IF THIS WERE YOUR TEAM WHAT WOULD YOU DO & WHAT WRs WOULD YOU BE OK WITH AS YOUR STARTING WRs IN THE 5th & 6th RD?

Any thoughts, comments, advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!

Leave link and I will leave thoughts on yours!!

What about Jordy Nelson for your first pick? Nelson is going to be an animal this season. I would wait on QB since there are so many, you can get away with not picking one, but can't wait on a WR.

Tough call, I might go will Ball or Bell whoever is still there. Foster doesnt excite me like he used to. If Ball has the year that he could, Foster would be a nice backup and Forte and Ball could be incredible in a 12 teamer. This strategy worries me with your 2nd WR. Your next two picks then would be WR and QB in some order. Your 2nd WR might struggle but I like that better than your 3rd RB struggling.

Going back and looking at last years draft results, I had forgotten that the first 8 picks were QBs! So this league LOVES QBs!! It went RGIII, Brady, Romo, Luck, Ryan,Rodgers, Stafford, Manning. If I don't get a QB with my first pick, I'm afraid of having the bottom of the starting QBs(Flacco, Tannenhill, Dalton, Palmer, etc). I would MUCH rather have Stafford or Romo with the point per 10 yds scoring set up! But picking 3rd and not again for 19 picks, the chances of bottom tier guys are big! Not sure what to do now!

With 1pt. per 10yds passing, go with the guy that can hit 5,000yds passing... Stafford.

Yea, I want Stafford, but I keep going back and forth as to whether to take him with my first pick. I don't think he will be there 19picks later, but I also don't want to pass up a RB that could be a keeper next year! Then, I also need to draft some WRs that can help my team too! I normally like picking near an end because I can usually get both guys that I may be trying to decide BETWEEN, but in situations like this, the length of time between picks really hurts! This is a QB crazy league and I suspect that 7or 8 QBs go in the 19 picks after me.

I guess I need to figure out if the projected point difference between Stafford and, say, Big Ben, Dalton, Palmer, Flacco and the like, will be great enuff to warrant taking Stafford first! I suspect Stafford, Romo, Cam, RGIII, Cutler, Foles, and Luck will be gone by the time it makes it back to me!!

I think I'm gonna go to work and just keeping dropping comments to the league like "From everything I have read, THIS is the year to wait on your QB until like the 5th or 6th round. Too much other talent to draft first!!"

Maybe it can stick In some owners heads and they will subconsciously wait on a QB!!! Lol!

with your 3.03, you take Ball or Murray. Get 3 stud RBs locked in and you can always look to trade Foster for WR help. Another option is Cobb

no way I take a QB with only 3 off the board. not even with my 2nd or 3rd rounder. you can wait and look at Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Tony Homo, Jay Cutler..... or Newton, Kaepernick, RG3 etc. Don't let the 10 yards per pass point sway you. guys like ryan, romo and cutler who should throw for a lot of yards will be almost as good as stafford and can be had 3-4 rounds later.

plenty of TE's/WRs to target in rounds 2,3,4..... Gronk, julius Thomas, Roddy White, Patterson, Cruz, Harvin, Allen, VJax, Andre, Crabtree