Sign in to follow this  
hawk82

Any truth to this Tiki story?

Giants | Barber's Yardage Tied to Dollars?

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:37:20 -0700

Bob Raismann, of the New York Daily News, reports Fox Sports' NFL insider Jay Glazer raised a concern Sunday, Oct. 23, that New York Giants RB Tiki Barber's lack of yardage could be tied to his contract. "If he (Barber) doesn't rush for a certain number of yards this year, then his salary next year will drop anywhere from $500,000 to $1.2 million," Glazer said on Fox's "NFL Sunday." Glazer said Barber's contract has a similar clause for 2006. "If Tiki fails to reach 900-1,250 yards he would have to give the Giants back anywhere from $800,000 to $1.5 million," Glazer added. It is unclear if the Giants are keeping the ball out of Barber's hands to cut his salary.

Nahhh. If they could they would pay him $50 million as a bonus if he reached 2,000 yards. They don't need to save the money.

Nahhh. If they could they would pay him $50 million as a bonus if he reached 2,000 yards. They don't need to save the money.

Exactly, they would gladly pay the extra cash if they could get the extra yardage out of him.

Classic case of NFL beat writers needing to keep busy during the non-game portion of a football week. Make up crap to make a name for yourself. MAke it look like your job is important.

Giants have groomed Eli and picked up Burress for the purpose of making a playoff run. They're not going to phase out their best weapon to save $500,000.

Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Is the Giants' offensive philosophy based on football or economics?

That's the issue Fox Sports' NFL insider Jay Glazer raised Sunday during an intriguing segment on the Foxies' pregame show.

While discussing Tom Coughlin's use (or lack thereof) of a running game, Glazer indicated it is essential to follow the money. And in the case of Tiki Barber, Glazer said, yardage is not the only thing at stake when he carries the ball.

"If he (Barber) doesn't rush for a certain number of yards this year, then his salary next year will drop anywhere from $500,000 to $1.2 million," Glazer said on Fox's "NFL Sunday."

Glazer said Barber's contract has a similar clause for 2006. "If Tiki fails to reach 900-1,250 yards he would have to give the Giants back anywhere from $800,000 to $1.5 million," Glazer added.

Despite their thrilling 24-23 win over Denver, the Giants' reluctance to run the football was evident and highlighted on CBS' telecast.

After the Giants went three-and-out with 2:24 left in the third quarter, a clearly agitated Phil Simms said: "Run the football. You have to keep the defense honest."

So, when you hear Glazer's report, which no one denied, questions follow.

Is pressure coming down from the top?

Would Giants GM/Media Darling Ernie Accorsi be consumed enough by the bottom line that he would keep the ball out of Barber's hands to whack his salary?

Would the Giants improperly use Barber, who was drafted by the late George Young, to collect from the running back later? Hey, for an organization as profitable as the Giants, $1.5 mil is chump change. So, Accorsi would not nickel and dime Barber, would he?

Realizing Barber is the Giants' all-time leading rusher, single-season leading rusher and all-time leader in receptions, and four TDs from being the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns, just the idea of him having to give back anything is strange.

Even in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business.

He is only down 2.1 caries per game so far this year, his team is winning and the offence obviously has more weapons than last year.

If he keeps up the average he will have 285 carries, and has only had more than this 3 times in his career.

This is dumb...only goes to show how dumb some of these writers are. What is 500K-1.5 million to an owner if Tiki can get the giants to the playoffs. The playoffs is where the money is at.

What is the chance Tiki doesn't reach 900 - 1250 yards rushing? He is on pace to get 1300+. His receptions/yardage is down more than I expected with Plaxico being in the mix. I still expected him to get yardage in the passing game due to NYG being able to sustain more drives than last year.

This article is just nonsense.

Utterly ridiculous idea. The amount in issue is chump change compared to the overall salary cap. Plus, does anyone really think General Coughlin would say "I can't put Tiki in here on 3rd and goal because he may make more bucks?" I didn't see or hear the original story, and I probably should've looked at the baited hook and swam away, but its basic premise is incomprehensible to me.