Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Masters - it's on baby!

I played 45 yesterday and have not yet (really) watched the coverage - but from the bits and pieces I did see, wow! Not that the same can't be said for most tournaments, but this one really stands out as being one any number of 10 guys could have won. There are guys this morning who are prolly sick to their stomach - especially Freddie. Good lord, he could have won this by 3 shots if he could make 5 footers.

Side notes:

* Really terrible to see Roc implode on #12 - that was painful to watch. Not only did his tournament chances go up in flames on that hole, I believe his finish put him out of the top 25 (or whatever it is) to receive an automatic invitation to next year's tournament. I'm guessing his caddie is feeling pretty sick this morning too.

* (seriously, not trying to be funny) Not seeing too much of the coverage yday, was it really Tigermania and/or just Tiger 24/7 yday? From what I can tell, no. In fact, from what I saw, Tiger got just cause coverage for somebody on the first page of the leaderboard and/or for somebody challenging for the tournament. Most of the coverage was centered on Phil & Freddie - with Clark, Clarke, Tiger, VJ, Oli & Goose mixed in there.

* That 4th hole might be one of the nasties par 3's in the world: 230-260 yard carry over a bunker to a small, hard, sloping green with OB back right - damn.

* What Crenshaw did (even finishing last) is amazing. Certainly it doesn't rank up there with what Jack did at the age of 58 in 1998, but still amazing all the same.

Tiger got a lot more coverage than anybody else at -1, -2, or -3........but, he is a ten-time Major winner. He's earned that. I would say he got the second most coverage easily...but yes, the primary emphasis all afternoon was Phil and Couples. The admiration of Tiger was less over the top than usual...good to see.

Rocco's deal was just awful....and yes, it's top 16 and ties, so that won't qualify him for next year per se.

Freddy

Freddy

You broke my heart Fredo. :huh:

What a let down that final nine was. Looked like it was shaping up to be a spectacular finished and it just never materialized.

I don't know if this is the case (still), but I remember Roc talking about the 60-70 yard shot a few years back. He talked about the fact that he didn't carry a lob wedge and that the in-betweener lob was a shot he struggled with. From what I can gather, that appeared to be the case with dropped ball he hit into the water on #12. Looked almost like he didn't have a club for it and tried to hit a small sw in there. Unfortunately, he did what we all do from time to time - he deceled and plunked it.

I don't know if this is the case (still), but I remember Roc talking about the 60-70 yard shot a few years back. He talked about the fact that he didn't carry a lob wedge and that the in-betweener lob was a shot he struggled with. From what I can gather, that appeared to be the case with dropped ball he hit into the water on #12. Looked almost like he didn't have a club for it and tried to hit a small sw in there. Unfortunately, he did what we all do from time to time - he deceled and plunked it.

He was interviewed after the round & he said he was in so much pain he could barely swing, but he wasn't going to quit. His right foot slipped out from under him on 15 in the morning 3rd round going for the green in two & he wrenched his back. His back has given him trouble for years.

He was interviewed after the round & he said he was in so much pain he could barely swing, but he wasn't going to quit. His right foot slipped out from under him on 15 in the morning 3rd round going for the green in two & he wrenched his back. His back has given him trouble for years.

Jep, his back has been a huge problem for him over the years. I remember back in the 01' US Open at Southern Hills - he woke up the Thursday morning of the tournament and said his back just went completely out. Said he didn't even think he could swing a club - told his caddie he didn't know what to do cuz he didn't want to go out there and embarrass himself. His caddie asked him to just try and get 9 holes in - if he could, then try and finish the last 9. From there (caddie said) you never know. Roc went out and played great and next thing you know he was battling for the championship - finished up 2 back in 4th place.

Augusta National is a terrible golf course for people with back trouble to walk - not surprising it caught up to him.

"Turning today after I almost made a 2 on [No.] 9, I almost couldn't go before I got to 10," Mediate said, "but I had to give it a shot."

"As soon as I changed directions, it stood me straight up," said Mediate, who said the last time this happened to him was in December when he was playing at home in Naples, Fla. "I almost went to my knees on the downswing, but what are you going to do.

Class act, I like Rocco. I saw him win a playoff in Greensboro years ago

Went home for lunch, watched a bit of the coverage.

Jim Nantz said (of Jimenez after he made par on 10), "Nobody is ever unhappy walking off with #10 with a par."

Well, I can think of one - Scott Hoch. :(

Jep, his back has been a huge problem for him over the years. I remember back in the 01' US Open at Southern Hills - he woke up the Thursday morning of the tournament and said his back just went completely out. Said he didn't even think he could swing a club - told his caddie he didn't know what to do cuz he didn't want to go out there and embarrass himself. His caddie asked him to just try and get 9 holes in - if he could, then try and finish the last 9. From there (caddie said) you never know. Roc went out and played great and next thing you know he was battling for the championship - finished up 2 back in 4th place.

Augusta National is a terrible golf course for people with back trouble to walk - not surprising it caught up to him.

Gutty performance.