Sign in to follow this  
Dogma

Tatum Bell

Help me out here. Mike Anderson is gone. Tatum Bell rushed for almost 1,000 yds. while spliting time with Mike Anderson. He averaged 5.3 ypc and scored 8 TDs. He didn't fumble much and I seem to remember that he remained, for the most part, injury free last year. And he's got tremendous speed. This guy can take it to the house on any carry. He's 5'11" and weighs 215. Other than Lendale White, he bigger or as big as any of the other top rated RBs coming out of college this year. So why would Denver consider using a high round pick on another similar type RB with less speed (i.e., Williams, Maroney, Addai, Calhoun, etc.). And the durability question can't really be answered until Bell has the job and carries the ball 20+ times a game. I know in college DeAngelo Williams had injury problems. Not sure about the rest. So why doesn't Bell get his shot this year?

Because Shanahan is insane? Shanny loves RBBCs; I wouldn't expect anyone to be the lone RB star in Denver anytime soon. It doesn't make sense to me, but it seems to work. He's always got good guys there and never misses a beat if someone gets injured or starts getting fumble-itis.

Struggles in pass protection and short yardage situations.

Exactly. He doesn't see the holes as well as other backs that have been or currently are on the roster. He's a great physical talent, but like many college backs, doesn't consistently show the vision and patience to get the tough yards against equally physically talented defenses.

There's lots of teams that have RB issues.

Pats, Jets, Pitt, Colts, JAX, Titans, Lions, GB, Panthers, SF all have RB questions.

You don't see them burning pick and pick, year after year.

Denver picked Bell in the 2nd round. Then Clarrett last year. Signed Dayne. Now they're going to use another 1st round pick on a RB?

Come on. Shanny is an "expert" in finding RBs. It's easy to be an expert when you burn day 1 picks on RBs every year. And I thought anyone could get 1,000 yards in the denver system. Everyone except Dayne/Bell?

Get Walker via trade, and pick DL/S/TE in the draft. Those are your real needs. As a Denver fan, I'm sick of them wasting picks on RBs. Maybe you should have kept Portis and saved picks/money on the rest of these jokers.

Also it's funny how Shanny loves RBBC. A year ago people said he HATES RBBC, Bell will get 90% of the carries. Now he loves RBBC? Through his history, he actually shys away from RBBC.

Bleh.

Orgazmo hit the nail on the head...he's as fast if not faster than Portis, but Portis can do everything, and he is willing to. Bell can't pick up the blitz, and when he does, he doesn't put his all into it. Shanahan hates that almost as much as fumbling. If he can do that, he'd be the starter.

I don't think Shanahan likes RBBC, he had Davis for 4 years, then Anderson, then Olandis Gary, then Portis...all took the majority of the carries the year(s) they did well. Since they traded Portis, they haven't had a true #1, so it's been committe. If he can find one, he'll stick with him. IMHO

Orgazmo hit the nail on the head...he's as fast if not faster than Portis, but Portis can do everything, and he is willing to. Bell can't pick up the blitz, and when he does, he doesn't put his all into it. Shanahan hates that almost as much as fumbling. If he can do that, he'd be the starter.

I don't think Shanahan likes RBBC, he had Davis for 4 years, then Anderson, then Olandis Gary, then Portis...all took the majority of the carries the year(s) they did well. Since they traded Portis, they haven't had a true #1, so it's been committe. If he can find one, he'll stick with him. IMHO

Most young RBs struggle with pass protection. That can be taught. Give the guy a chance.

Most young RBs struggle with pass protection. That can be taught. Give the guy a chance.

And what happened to Ron Dayne being the best thing since sliced bread? How all of a sudden he sucks and they need to burn a 1st rnd pick on a RB? Come on.

I'm not saying he can't, I'm just saying he hasn't yet, and that's why he didn't start last year. I'd love to see him do well, Denver needs his home-run ability in there on every down. It's his to lose this year, I don't see Dayne competing for the #1 spot.

It could just be media hype about picking a RB, but my feeling is, if Shanahan thought he could be a #1, there wouldn't be talk about them picking a back early. I Could be wrong, maybe he's trying to motivate Bell by floating it as a possibility.

The only thing leaked from Denver about who they were interested in the draft was about possibly trading up for Vernon Davis. Other than that there has been nothing indicating who they might pick. Nothing at all but wishful ideas from fans and writers.

The Broncos interest in trading Ricky Williams or possibly signing FA Jamal Lewis or James was very real.

Shanny has said he hasnt ruled out Bell being a 300 carry back (or some simuliar number). Of course, Shanny only says positive things about all his running backs.

In other words, Denver has neither ruled out Bell as their guy nor have they indicated that they might draft a RB (nor indicated they wont). The thing they did do was show interest in the top available veterans.

The ONLY thing he does well is run the ball. Denver likes versatile backs, and he isnt. He has protection problems, moreso than most young backs. He does not run good routes and has marginal hands. He fumbles. he is not the best in short yardage and GL situations. His work ethic is suspect

If this was baseball, he would be Jose Canseco. Cant field, run, throw or hit for average. One dimensional slugger. Bell will peel off enough long runs to keep a decent average, but the 0 and 1 yard gains kill drives.

J

The only thing leaked from Denver about who they were interested in the draft was about possibly trading up for Vernon Davis. Other than that there has been nothing indicating who they might pick. Nothing at all but wishful ideas from fans and writers.

The Broncos interest in trading Ricky Williams or possibly signing FA Jamal Lewis or James was very real.

Shanny has said he hasnt ruled out Bell being a 300 carry back (or some simuliar number). Of course, Shanny only says positive things about all his running backs.

In other words, Denver has neither ruled out Bell as their guy nor have they indicated that they might draft a RB (nor indicated they wont). The thing they did do was show interest in the top available veterans.

You don't know that for a fact.

Here's what we know. Denver was in a bad cap situation. Denver had to cut some key members of the D. We also know they were trying to acquire a veteran RB in FA. A team with this bad of a cap situation feels it has to go get a RB?

They were not able to get one in FA. Logically you'd assume they'd look for a RB in the draft.

It's not a huge leap of faith. Also knowing Shanny, I can see him burning a pick at 15 on a RB if they get Walker from GB.

The biggest weakness of Vernon Davis and Bell is that they are poor blockers. The Denver system is as simple as having everyone on offense other than the QB be good blockers. I'm guessing the only draft news "leaked" was done with intent.

Bell and a pick for Thomas Jones seems like a possibility.

Because Shanahan is insane? Shanny loves RBBCs; I wouldn't expect anyone to be the lone RB star in Denver anytime soon. It doesn't make sense to me, but it seems to work. He's always got good guys there and never misses a beat if someone gets injured or starts getting fumble-itis.

Yeah, cause he used RBBC with Terrell Davis and Portis :blink:

He just goes with what works. If that's 1 RB or 3 RBs...who cares? He had 2 productive backs last year...Anderson with @ 1000 yards, and Bell with @ 900 yards.

Of course it is absolute hell for FF owners. :wacko:

I think people are misreading their need for a RB. With Anderson gone, there's no reason Bell can't step up to the > 1300 yard level. They do need a decent backup though. Can probably find a 3rd down back in round 3-7.

Tinker Bell is not exactly the most durable...would you trust your season on him staying healthy? :first:

How many games did he miss last year?? ah yea that one game did screw his season up last year...

173 carries 921yds 5.3ypc 8tds

Terrible... :blink:

You don't know that for a fact.

Here's what we know. Denver was in a bad cap situation. Denver had to cut some key members of the D. We also know they were trying to acquire a veteran RB in FA. A team with this bad of a cap situation feels it has to go get a RB?

They were not able to get one in FA. Logically you'd assume they'd look for a RB in the draft.

It's not a huge leap of faith. Also knowing Shanny, I can see him burning a pick at 15 on a RB if they get Walker from GB.

I only stated the facts in order to seperate them from all this opinion. I didnt make any assumption nor tell my opinion.

Like I said, the only thing leaked from Denver about what they could do during the draft is trade up for Davis. Other than that, there hasnt been any information at all. Everything else you hear is speculation. I'm not speculating anything. You are, I'm not. I'm sorting out the confusion caused by all the speculation by noteing what few actual facts have come out of Denver. What Shanny said of Bell is fact. Denver's interest in Davis is fact. Denver's interest in this year's top FA RBs is fact. Those are the only facts I stated. My actual opinions are stated elsewhere but not here.

I think Bell could be a big time player if he can satisfy Shanny with his attention to the "other" details of his job.

That said, I think Ron Dayne will get significant play at RB if not half the carries. He is liked by the staff, and has improved 100% in this system.

The Broncos are ok at RB, they suck at TE/WR.

They really need a target other than Rod Smith through the air.

The ONLY thing he does well is run the ball. Denver likes versatile backs, and he isnt. He has protection problems, moreso than most young backs. He does not run good routes and has marginal hands. He fumbles. he is not the best in short yardage and GL situations. His work ethic is suspect

If this was baseball, he would be Jose Canseco. Cant field, run, throw or hit for average. One dimensional slugger. Bell will peel off enough long runs to keep a decent average, but the 0 and 1 yard gains kill drives.

J

Accurate analysis of Bell. Lousy analogy with Canseco. He ran very well; 40/40 as a 23 yr old, 7 seasons of double digit stolen bases, 29 steals as a 33 year old in Toronto.