Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Cancun

I'm headed out for Cancun next week. 5 day trip. Never been there before, never done the all inclusive resort deal either, so this is a first. I've been to Mexico City on buisness, and of course to TJ in my younger days.

So- Any insight on places to go, "must see" or even "stay away from" advice from the Geeks who have been to Cancun? I understand Senior Frogs is a must. Other than that maybe a day shopping in downtown Cancun? Silver is supposedly the best deal I'll see there.

With the all inclusive package, I may not leave the hotel very much. It's gonna beat the hell out of working.

I was there about 8 years ago, I'm sure it's grown much. Don't recall much as I was drunk the whole time on tequila. :cry: My wife was pregnant and was our "designated sober person", as we really didn't drive anywhere.

The Incan ruins about an hour south, Xcaret (sp?) are worth seeing.

I recall that there were girls dancing topless in the clubs. And I mean girls -- 15, 16. My friend started talking to one and when he found out her age, she was only a year older than his son. :cry:

If you stayed at an all inclusive, was it all it's cracked up to be? Decent food and really free alchol?

As for topless 15 yo's, I'm old enough to go to jail for just thinking about it.

If you stayed at an all inclusive, was it all it's cracked up to be? Decent food and really free alchol?

As for topless 15 yo's, I'm old enough to go to jail for just thinking about it.

Me too. But the Mexican laws might be different? :cry:

Not all inclusive, but a nice resort. Don't recall which, sorry. It was a company sales incentive trip, so in a way most of the stuff was included, but not like you mean.

Cool- Thanks JK. Maybe someone else will jump in here.

I've been busting my rump at work, haven't had a decent vacation in 10 months, so I was looking for a place to chill. Basically do nothing for a week and forget about work.

Another question- what about internet service? I'm taking the laptop ad a dozen movies. Anyone got hooked up with the Mexican ISP for the vacation?

My wife, daughter, and I went to Cancun last summer.

We stayed at the Oasis, an all-inclusive hotel/resort.

Pros- There was always plenty to drink. Hotel lobby, swim up bars in the pools.

There were five or six different places to eat as part of the all-inclusive plan.

Oceans and beaches are beautiful. It's so clear and blue that you won't believe it.

Cons - The pool water, at times, seemed a little dirty. Not litter everywhere- dirty, but you could see skin floating around when the sunlight was hitting it. It can be expected, with all the peeling sunburnt vacationers, but it made me a little uneasy.

If you go downtown, it's nothing like the resorts. As you walk down the strip, the Mexicans are begging you to come into their shops. I never cared much for being harrassed when I'm shopping.

As for topless chicks in bars, being with my daughter meant that the wife and I didn't go to Senior rogs or any other downtown bars.

My wife and I have been there twice. We wanted to get away from the 18 yr old "drink til you puke on something crowd", so a place was recommended to us near Playa Del Carmen. It's about an hour taxi south of the airport. The place we stayed is called Shangri La Caribe and has bungalows right on the beach. Breakfast and dinner are included, drinks are extra. It's a beautiful spot and the town of Playa Del Carmen is nearby and has plenty to do in the way of restaurants and clubs.

The water is awesome and best of all - the beaches are topless!! :first:

Shangri La Caribe

I'll definitely be back...

I'm going to be in cancun on 4/30 through 5/3. senior frogs is always a good bet, and their is another place that's name is escaping me.

Stayed at Moon Palace and should never have left the resort. Drove an hour thru slums to swim with dolphins. The resort rocked.

Stayed at Moon Palace and should never have left the resort. Drove an hour thru slums to swim with dolphins. The resort rocked.

I'm hoping the hotel is nice enough that I won't want to leave very often.

Figure I've got to go downtown one day to do some shopping, and maybe to a club or two one evening.

Royal Solaris is where I'm booked.

Um..........Cancun is a wreck because of hurricanes.

Next year try Baghdad.

:mad: