Sign in to follow this  
akamarvalous

omg! arrington is a giant

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS (not for the Giants though)

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year. If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually. To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents. (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable. Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks. Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon. Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers. From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAVAR SHOULD SUE POSTONS FOR $4.4 MILLION

At the end of the day on the Arrington deal, we believe that the former Redskins star should ask his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, to pay him $4.4 million. If they refuse, he should sue them for it.

Why? Because the Postons allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned bonus money in order to hit the open market in early March instead of July, when the Redskins would have cut him in order to avoid paying him a $6.5 million roster bonus.

In the end, however, Arrington got roughly the same deal in late April that he would have gotten in July. Or August. Or September.

Put simply, the Postons should have known what the market would bear for Arrington, and they should have advised him accordingly. Instead, they undoubtedly pumped his head up with ideas of how great he is and how much money he'd made, and we hear that they're now telling him that he'll make a lot of the lost jack back in endorsements.

But will he? This guy isn't Lawrence Taylor, and L.T. wasn't exactly a marketing superstar during his career.

Speaking of L.T., we initially wondered whether Arrington will pull a Jerry Rice and try to finagle Taylor's No. 56, the number that Arrington wore in D.C. According to the Giants' official site, however, it appears that LaVar will wear 55.

He should have asked to wear No. 44, as a constant reminder to himself -- and his agents -- of the money that never should have gotten away.

:shocking:

Damn. Putting him next to Pierce definitely upgrades this defense.

The NFC East is gonna be a beast of a division this year. :shocking:

I bet opposing offensive lines can't wait to face Osi, Strahan, Arrington and Pierce every week. if nothing else, this defense will be intimidating as hell.

:thumbsup:

I bet opposing offensive lines can't wait to face Osi, Strahan, Arrington and Pierce every week. if nothing else, this defense will be intimidating as hell.

Arrington, if used properly by the defensive coordinator, is gonna wreck havoc on offensive tackles and running backs in pass coverage.

It's a pretty good defense, but the defensive backfield doesn't scare anyone.

Arrington, if used properly by the defensive coordinator, is gonna wreck havoc on offensive tackles and running backs in pass coverage.

It didn't scare anyone last year either. The defense is better overall. The LB's are tremendously improved and the defensive backfield, while not intimidating by any means, is still better. Hopefully they can continue to improve at CB and/or S in the draft. Still not a top defense of course, but let's just say I don't think many QB's will be looking forward to seeing the Giants on their schedule. They will take some punishment. If Eli can mature some this year, the Giants should be right back in contention to repeat as division champion and maybe even make noise this time in the playoffs.

It didn't scare anyone last year either. The defense is better overall. The LB's are tremendously improved and the defensive backfield, while not intimidating by any means, is still better. Hopefully they can continue to improve at CB and/or S in the draft. Still not a top defense of course, but let's just say I don't think many QB's will be looking forward to seeing the Giants on their schedule. They will take some punishment. If Eli can mature some this year, the Giants should be right back in contention to repeat as division champion and maybe even make noise this time in the playoffs.

I hear you. The NFC East is gonna be a beast of a division this year. I believe that whomever wins the division this year is the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. The division is definitely gonna be battle tested, that's for sure.

I hear you. The NFC East is gonna be a beast of a division this year. I believe that whomever wins the division this year is the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. The division is definitely gonna be battle tested, that's for sure.

I think Carolina is the team to beat personally, but any of the teams from the East have the ability to step it up. Seattle should still be right up there also.

I think Carolina is the team to beat personally, but any of the teams from the East have the ability to step it up. Seattle should still be right up there also.

I think Carolina is a Foster injury away from .500, and if history proves itself, Seattle should have the post Super Bowl hangover and miss the playoffs.

If nothing else, the NFC East champ will be battle tested.

Once the Madden Curse strikes they are going to miss the playoffs, just like the last few Super Bowl losers

This year's starting secondary will more than likely be Sam Madison and Corey Webster at CB, Will Demps at FS and Gabril Wilson at SS, with RW McQuarters the likely nickelback. I'd say that is much better than last years group. If the Giants can fill the hole left by Clancy, their front seven will apply enough pressure to make up for the secondary.

This year's starting secondary will more than likely be Sam Madison and Corey Webster at CB, Will Demps at FS and Gabril Wilson at SS, with RW McQuarters the likely nickelback. I'd say that is much better than last years group. If the Giants can fill the hole left by Clancy, their front seven will apply enough pressure to make up for the secondary.

:) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The biggest question I have is how fast will this new secondary mesh? Three new starters in Madison, Demps and McQuarters. And add in Arrington, who yes is a beast but has never commited to a system. In Washington it was difficult for him due to the turnover in Defensive Coordinators over his career but I have not seen him commit to a system. He made the Pro Bowl a few times, but look back at his stats. The tackles aren't mind blowing, and the sacks and interceptions, fumbles don't make up for it. Compare his tackles to some other LB's over there career.

This may not fit here, but just wanted to say my peace on the Arrington hype. I won't believe it until I see him committed to not running all over the filed like he did in PS. Remember why he wears the #56. Who did they compare him to when he was drafted, that's why he took the #. And he never lived up to the hype. What # will he wear in NY? Would be a disgrace to see him wear LT's #.