Sign in to follow this  
CA_7

Jay Cutler is the Best/Safest QB Prospect

Listen up Leinart/Young lovers....

JAY CUTLER

The most overrated player in the draft? That's pretty funny.

I was very surprised when I watched Cutler on film for a couple of reasons. I didn't realize how good an athlete he is. He's big, very strong, and has an NFL body, especially for a quarterback.

He plays big and he plays strong. He can move around much better than I thought. He ran some option, ran the football well. He can stand in, and deliver the ball downfield with accuracy and power even when getting hit. His arm strength is exceptional -- tremendous. And what I like so much about his arm strength is that on short passes he gets the ball to his targets quick so they have a chance to run with it. It's not a high-effort throw. He doesn't have to work hard to get the ball somewhere with speed. It's natural.

I've read and heard from some NFL coaches that he tries to use his arm too much -- maybe tries to throw the ball hard when he shouldn't. I didn't notice that, but I did see him try to stick the ball into some tough spots. But I would look at that as a plus. At least a coach has the ability to tell a Jay Cutler to take something off his passes if he needs to.

Cutler probably played in an environment that was most NFL-like for a quarterback. I watched about five Vanderbilt games, and he got hit a lot. He's used to making decisions and throwing from a position that is more like what he'll see in the NFL.

There were a bunch of games that Vanderbilt would not have had a chance to win or stay close if he were not the quarterback. You could say that about Leinart and Young, but I'm not sure USC or Texas would have lost one or two games if their backup quarterbacks were in there. I don't know anything about the backup quarterback at Vanderbilt, but I know Cutler was always the best player on the field in their games.

THE SAFE PICK

What's interesting about these three quarterbacks is that we're dealing with three really different styles. For example, Vince Young is certainly capable of being a very good NFL quarterback … but it's a little unique and a little different. As an offensive coach, you're going to put in plays that you never put in before.

Jay Cutler might turn out to be the safest pick of the top three QBs.

I've heard it said that Cutler is the riskiest pick of the three because his name is not as big. I think it's actually the complete opposite.

By NFL standards, the safest pick of the three is Cutler. He's big and strong, has enough mobility and can make all the throws. Whether it's the West Coast, East Coast -- whatever offense he gets drafted into, he's going to be able to adapt to it. I'm not sure you can say that about the other two. There are offenses in the NFL that are not made for Matt Leinart, because they love to throw the ball downfield. That's not what he is going to be great at.

People compare Leinart to Tom Brady, and they like to talk about Brady's "intangibles" and leadership qualities, etc. But in my eyes, the quality that has made Tom Brady great is that he can really, really throw the football well. It's amazing how much smarter you can look as a quarterback if you can throw the ball that well. I don't mind people praising his other qualities, but his ability to "drive" the football, throw tight spirals and give his receivers a chance to run with the football is really the key.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9393386

By Phil Simms ~ Special to NFL.com

Listen up Leinart/Young lovers....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9393386

By Phil Simms ~ Special to NFL.com

Don't fall for all the Cutler hype he isn't that good. Where ever he goes he will be holding a clip board,

he just doesn't have that poise to to make it in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't throw but I'm saying he gets rattled and cant play under pressure. :banana:

Um.... It's not like Phil S. "led" the Giants anywhere. I can remember a couple of defensive players that helped him just a little. :mellow:

:banana:

22 of 25 completions in the Superbowl

How many games did Cutler win in his college career? Eleven?

I smell a rat; a big, stinky rat.

Okay, you guys are cracking me up. Captian America, I know you are fixated on Charlie Whitehurst. While I agree with you that he has the potential, I think he's the guy that will most likely frustrate NFL coaches during his career. Zap's argument in the other thread is a great one about Cutler. To each their own in the opinion department, I just think Zap makes a better argument for Cutler...

No offense, but weren't you fixated on Fred Gibson last year?

While I agree with you that he has the potential, I think he's the guy that will most likely frustrate NFL coaches during his career.

That's probably true, but I think Cutler is likely to be right behind him. I hate this argument by Simms:

I've read and heard from some NFL coaches that he tries to use his arm too much -- maybe tries to throw the ball hard when he shouldn't. I didn't notice that, but I did see him try to stick the ball into some tough spots. But I would look at that as a plus. At least a coach has the ability to tell a Jay Cutler to take something off his passes if he needs to.

Give me a break. The problem isn't the throwing the ball too hard, the problem is the trying to stick it into tight spots. Telling him to take something off his passes won't do anything about that, and it also isn't going to stay with him. Sure he'll take something off his passes when coach says so... until about two or three throws later when he gets one knocked down or picked that he knows would have been good if he rocketed it like he can. From a coachability standpoint, you'd much rather have a guy who you can trust to play within himself, than a guy who has the apparently amazing ability to take something off his passes if he needs to. :thumbsdown:

Can't argue about his Superbowl stats, they were excellent. What was that guy's name with the Redskins that also had a good Superbowl..... He was a QB too...... The point I'm making is he never had great numbers and he was not good enough to lead a team to victory on his own. That defense carried the team and allowed them to use those short slant patterns they ran. They use the same patterns (or try to) in Dallas. Just because you are accurate on a 3 yard out and your WR gains an extra 4 yards on his own doesn't make you a great QB.

That's probably true, but I think Cutler is likely to be right behind him. I hate this argument by Simms:

Give me a break. The problem isn't the throwing the ball too hard, the problem is the trying to stick it into tight spots. Telling him to take something off his passes won't do anything about that, and it also isn't going to stay with him. Sure he'll take something off his passes when coach says so... until about two or three throws later when he gets one knocked down or picked that he knows would have been good if he rocketed it like he can. From a coachability standpoint, you'd much rather have a guy who you can trust to play within himself, than a guy who has the apparently amazing ability to take something off his passes if he needs to. :thumbsup:

;) We're going to have a fun time watching Leinart, Cutler, and the rest of these QBs. The funniest part, T.J. is that I'm a Titans fan and will likely be cheering for Leinart after Saturday...

Okay, you guys are cracking me up. Captian America, I know you are fixated on Charlie Whitehurst. While I agree with you that he has the potential, I think he's the guy that will most likely frustrate NFL coaches during his career. Zap's argument in the other thread is a great one about Cutler. To each their own in the opinion department, I just think Zap makes a better argument for Cutler...

No offense, but weren't you fixated on Fred Gibson last year?

YES! and I still think the kid can play, a couple of years ago I was big on Justin Gage also. I'm just saying that from what I saw of the two I would pick Whitehurst over Cutler. Cutler looked awful in the Senior Bowl,

didn't look that great in the combines and apparently wasn't that great for Vanderbilt in leading his team to a 5-6 record. My argument is that they keep saying he is the best quarterback in the draft and my point I was trying to make he probably isn't even better that Charlie Whitehurst. So I'm really not fixated on Whitehurst

I'm just not that impressed with Cutler. :doublethumbsup: