Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: New York Jets

Jets are having an amazing draft.

DBricishaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, the premier players at their position that fill huge holes, and then they fleece the Redskins into giving them a 2nd in 2007, in addition to two 6ths and the 56th overall.

2 second rounders, not 2 6th rounders.

Ah.. my bad.. I read that as a second 6th rounder in '07.. and 2nd round in '07 is decent.

-v

DBricishaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, the premier players at their position that fill huge holes, and then they fleece the Redskins into giving them a 2nd in 2007, in addition to two 6ths and the 56th overall.

agreed, great draft so far, and that's a decent trade for them.

Nice trade for the Jets. Two seconds for one will help out in the long run.

well, im getting here late but im loving this so far

i kind of got excited by the talk of them moving up for Leinart when he was falling but im gald they stayed put

Teague with Mangold behind him is a nice comfort and Ferguson is beautiful

Kendall at LG will provide a good left side at least now, the right needs a bit of work still but its looking up

i would have actually loved to see them have taken Justice instead of trade down in the 2nd though

a bit overboard sure but having franchise LT, C, and RT in the early 1st day.... comforting thoughts

Exactly. Skins got robbed. :banana: :ninja: :clap:

QB of the future, nice

Kellen Clemons from Oregon

SUMMARY

Clemons is a very smart and fundamentally sound quarterback with a very quick and compact release and when he strides into his throws, he can make all the throws with very good zip. Clemons shows impressive ability to consistently step up and make big plays -- mostly with his arm, but occasionally with feet -- when it matters most; even vs. heavy pressure/blitzes. For Clemons to become the starter he is capable of being, he needs to stride into every throw he makes and do a better job of not forcing throws when he feels he has to make the big play. Overall, Clemons will probably get drafted much lower than anticipated, but he has the ability to become a very good NFL starter. Aside from Matt Leinart, Clemons might be the only other quarterback who is more ready mentally to step into the NFL and contribute early in his career.

STRONG POINTS

Clemons is a tough quarterback who has consistently shown a willingness to make good throws right before getting crushed by defenders. He has very quick and compact release and can get rid of the ball with zip in a flash. He has good bulk/strength despite lacking height and consistently has shown ability to keep feet and make accurate throws with defenders grabbing at him. He reads the defense very well, goes through progressions and consistently finds open receivers. He does not panic as pocket starts to collapse around him. If he gets pressured he has the quick feet and athletic ability to avoid sacks, buys second chance and can make plays with his arm or feet.

WEAKNESSES

Clemons is slightly shorter than ideal, but not so much that it greatly affects his play. Occasionally, he does not stride into throws and his passes lack the same zip when he just tries to make the arm throw. At times, he will force passes that he should not throw, which leads to some interceptions. He does not always wrap the ball up when scrambling and it leads to him fumbling more thanhe should. The biggest concern with Clemons is the health of his left ankle because he has not played in a game since the injury.

Fock i was hoping kellen would slide down to the 3rd rd cos of his injury, nice QB you picked up there. :thumbsup:

Great focking pick. Man Mangini is working his MOJO. Now we need a DE and a RB. Darryl Tapp and B. Calhoun would absolutely finish this $hit off. :banana:

Jets are having a fabulous draft....no doubt about it!

not like the 6th and 7th were tough to give up but now that i look at everything, i think they could have stayed put and still gotten him

Whitehurst, Croyle, and Clemons were unlikely to go in that 4 pick spread but im glad they actually had the balls to grab their guy without giving up too much

and yes, DE and RB will make me a happy camper

who knows though, maybe Winston just falls to us in the 3rd and we pick him

Jets are having a fabulous draft....no doubt about it!

and what makes it better is that Buffalo has fallen off the ###### rope today

hmmmm.... coming out with 2 reaches and the only other pick is a late one without QB help

we arent going to be in the bottom long, if only NE would start screwing things up we could really gain an edge and make our lives easier, im sure Miami can screw things up for themselves :thumbsup:

After seeing some of the dumb ass moves made by other teams I'm happy the Jets drafted smart. That line is going to be great for years to come. I don't know much about Clemmons but there's no pressure on him to play right away with Pennington and Ramsay. Maybe he'll turn into the green and white version of Brady. This is some good drafting!

After seeing some of the dumb ass moves made by other teams I'm happy the Jets drafted smart. That line is going to be great for years to come. I don't know much about Clemmons but there's no pressure on him to play right away with Pennington and Ramsay. Maybe he'll turn into the green and white version of Brady. This is some good drafting!

Clemons is a bit of an unknown due to his ankle injury

he didnt get a lot of play but it sounds quite promising, most likely would have gotten a nice boost ala Cutler had he played this year and maybe into the first round

indeed, the knock seemsto be he cant go side to side but if they play the 3-4 then he can easily take the middle and Vilma can be the side to side guy

could be interesting here, maybe a DE at the end of the 3rd now?

Please stop sniffing your own f#ckin' farts, mmmk?

Facts are, they had a shot at Bush ... and failed. Shot at Leinart ... and failed.

Sure, the picks may pan out, but , the prospect of missing those 2 talents will haunt these arseclowns.

Please stop sniffing your own f#ckin' farts, mmmk?

Facts are, they had a shot at Bush ... and failed. Shot at Leinart ... and failed.

Sure, the picks may pan out, but , the prospect of missing those 2 talents will haunt these arseclowns.

While it would have been nice to draft Bush it wasn't worth selling the entire draft for a guy who gets 15 touches per game. And why would they want Leinart who is just a younger, left-handed version of Pennington? No, the Jets did the smart thing by improving their line and taking a promising QB in the 2nd. A strong line will make just about any QB and RB look better.

While it would have been nice to draft Bush it wasn't worth selling the entire draft for a guy who gets 15 touches per game. And why would they want Leinart who is just a younger, left-handed version of Pennington? No, the Jets did the smart thing by improving their line and taking a promising QB in the 2nd. A strong line will make just about any QB and RB look better.

Good points ... and I certainly didn't mean to rain on the fan's parade here. I was taking the organization to task. The J-E-T-S have never had a back with the skill set that Bush brings. Yeah, C-Mart was a "warrior", and a very consistent performer, but ... you'd have to go back to Freeman Mcneil to find another prolific RB.

The J-E-T-S have been lacking in a lot of areas over the years ... I'm 37, and lived here in NYC all my life, and the one thing the JETS have definitely lacked since Namath is PERSONALITY and CHARISMA. I mean, when did the team ever excite the fans while also intimidating the opposition? What, in '81 and '82 with the sack exchange? The three years Parcells had them contending? That's maybe just about it ...

Leinart or Bush would've injected some desperately needed juice into a team/organization that has been as bland as rye toast. If they're available (and they were), then you must pull the trigger. I remember the last time the J-E-T-S passed on a highly touted QB with some questions ... his name was Dan Marino.

Not to say that Leinart is on par with Dan, but ... who knew in '83 when all of those teams passed on him?

I know Mangini and Tannenbaum are "building" the roster through this draft ... looking to plug some holes, solidify others ... but, man ... it's like they want to be 8-8 every year, rather than roll the dice on two of the greatest , most prolific (in terms of winning) players the NCAA has seen in eons.

You guys got a steal in Leon Washington. With the 2 OL you singed in the draft, this oline will be opening up HUGE holes for Blaylock & washington in the coming years.

The J-E-T-S have been lacking in a lot of areas over the years ... I'm 37, and lived here in NYC all my life, and the one thing the JETS have definitely lacked since Namath is PERSONALITY and CHARISMA. I mean, when did the team ever excite the fans while also intimidating the opposition? What, in '81 and '82 with the sack exchange? The three years Parcells had them contending? That's maybe just about it ...

This is a really good point and its the crux of 2 different arguments. Should the team take an exciting player who can electrify the city and bring in fans immediately? Or should the team draft a cornerstone of the line who could be the next Walter Jones (or possibly better)? Having been schooled in the Belichek system it should have been obvious that Mangina would choose the latter.

I personally thought the pick of D'Brick was the right one but I had hoped for a WR/RB with #29. Mangold was the safe pick but definitely not an exciting one. I was surprised to see the Jets pass up on Chad Jackson or DeMeco Ryans at #29 but I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. One thing is for sure....that line is gonna be solid for the next few years.

This is a really good point and its the crux of 2 different arguments. Should the team take an exciting player who can electrify the city and bring in fans immediately? Or should the team draft a cornerstone of the line who could be the next Walter Jones (or possibly better)? Having been schooled in the Belichek system it should have been obvious that Mangina would choose the latter.

I personally thought the pick of D'Brick was the right one but I had hoped for a WR/RB with #29. Mangold was the safe pick but definitely not an exciting one. I was surprised to see the Jets pass up on Chad Jackson or DeMeco Ryans at #29 but I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. One thing is for sure....that line is gonna be solid for the next few years.

Definitely two trains of thought here, as evidenced by our differing opinions. You have a different perspective being a Jets fan ... I'm a casual observer at this point ...

The NY papers are getting on the Jets case for passing on Leinart ... just got done with the Daily News over breakfast, and both Lupica and Gary Meyers laid it on pretty heavy that Leinart was THE pick this team needed.

Case can be made that the new regime wants to put their stamp on this franchise, and you do that by building through the draft ... in other worrds, it's the TEAM, not the player (Leinart or Bush) which electrifies the fanbase. Only caveat being, this team needs to win in a hurry, or patience wears thin here in the NYC area. It could pan out that the Jets wallow in mediocrity for a few years ... while Leinart is handing off to Edge, and playing catch with Fitz and Boldin ... in a system where the coach (Denny Green) has no problems letting it fly. That's the worst case scenario for the Jets, and IMO, it will come to fruition. Leinart helming that Offense in the desert will be spectacular.

And, then there's Bush ... the guy can flat out fly, and his talent is the most highly regarded we've ever seen aty the RB position ... agreed? His all around game is the stuff of great expectations, for sure. I really don't fault the Jets for not caving into the king's ransom NO wanted for Reggie. I think we all give them a pass and a thumbs up for not mortgaging the future before Mangini/Tannenbaum had a chance.

But, it's Leinart. Man, as a NY football fan (more a fan of Fantasy at this point in my life) it would've been exciting watching Leinart grow up here.

By the way ... the QB the Jets selected in rd. 2 yesterday ... 6'1, 219 ... with questionable arm strength ... Pennington, much?

Wow it was all down hill after that 3rd pick!!!!! Half of the guys the Jets picked after Clemens either didn't have bios or according to their bios did not have enough talent to make an impact in the NFL!!!!

Not a good draft overall C-

i really think we had a good draft, i think a lot of teams had good drafts.

btw... we now have a ton of qbs and rbs

pennington, ramsey, bollinger, clemens, kingsbury (well, kingsbury should be the casualty here)

and

martin, blaylock, houston, washington

this should make for a lot of heathy competition and i just hope the jets can put their best team on the field.

did i forget to mention i love the fact that buffalo had a poor draft and i wasnt really impressed with miami's draft either. new england on the other hand i thougt did real well with marony and jackson, but they have as many holes as we do and i think we did a better job at filling them. :thumbsup:

i am proud to say:

J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

I want to thank the front office in NY for saving my life. If I heard the words "With the 4th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the New York Jets select quarterback..." I would have thrown myself into traffic.

I am THRILLED with our draft. And I am THRILLED that I have 100% confidence in the front office most of all. The FAs they have been picking up had me excited, and now after a superb performance in the draft I am very happy for the potential this year as well as years to come.

Definitely happy days. :shocking: <--- Chrebet