Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Oakland Raiders' offseason review - free agency and draft

With the draft over an no cap space, the Raiders' are pretty much done with offseason transactions. Here's a list of most of the Raiders' biggest problems, in general terms, in rough order. Followed by analysis of what they've done to fix the problems.

Problems

A. lack of takeaways (#29 with 19 takeaways, including a pathetic 5 INTs)

B. inability for passing game to handle the blitz (45 sacks despite well over 100 throwaways and dumpoffs)

C. poor run-blocking (Jordan 3.8 yards per carry, including a 16 for 19 effort at Philly)

D. inability to match up with good receiving RBs or TEs (slow linebackers and awful safeties)

E. lack of depth (particularly on defense and on the offensive line)

F. lack of fire/leadership (particularly from coaching staff and quarterback)

G. poor tackling (see item E, as we started off the year well in this area)

H. special teams problems (bad decisions by Chris Carr and lack of clutch kicking by Janikowski)

I. lack of versatility at RB (Jordan led the NFL in drops and made few big plays)

J. bad contracts/cap problems (should be higher on the list but is kind of a different class of problems)

What they've done to solve the problems:

A and D. (lack of takeaways and inability to match up with good receiving RBs or TEs) These go together somewhat because most teams didn't have to take any risks against the Raiders. These are two areas the Raiders helped themselves in via the draft. 1st-rounder Michael Huff, 2nd-rounder Thomas Howard, and 4th-rounder Darnell Bing can all match up effectively against TEs and RBs, and they catch the ball well. Opposing offenses also didn't have to take chances because they were playing with a lead most of the time. The Raiders did not address the pass rush part of the problem, other than bringing back Lance Johnstone, a poor-man's Derrick Burgess.

B. inability for passing game to handle the blitz Sadly, not much improvement in this area. Kerry Collins was a big part of the problem but Aaron Brooks doesn't excel at making good, quick decisions either. Also, the Raiders didn't add significant talent to the starting OL via free agency or the draft. Hopefully the young players on the line will gel some and Art Shell will teach them a thing or two. Aaron Brooks at least stands a chance to elude blitzers one-on-one, whereas Collins couldn't. Brooks is also more likely to try to make the defense pay by taking chances down the field rather than eating the ball, which is good considering the kind of athletes the Raiders have at WR.

C. poor run-blocking Will Art Shell be our savior here? We will see. I think Barry Sims could upgrade our run-blocking by moving to guard, but who knows if that will happen. Third-round pick Paul McQuistan has strength and technique so he may help in this area if he cracks the starting lineup. Might be worth it even if he is a liability as a pass-blocker. Toniu Fonoti was supposed to help here but failed a physical and did not sign on with the team. So, the Raiders made some effort in this area, but likely not much improvement.

E. lack of depth I think the depth will be significantly improved this year. Last year the Raiders absolutely could not afford to lose Charles Woodson and Derrick Gibson, and lost them both. Now their young corners have some experience, Poole and Starks give the team a couple of reserve CBs who understand zone coverage, and last year's starting safeties (Gibson and Stuart Schweigert) might be the 3rd and 4th best on the team now. Three OL were hand-picked in the draft and should all make the team. Shell and DC Rob Ryan have definitely had a say in bringing guys who can do what they want. Huge upgrade in this area, although the team still lacks depth at RDE and OLB.

F. lack of fire/leadership Turner's departure should help in the motivation department. Brooks is not much of a leader. The defense has got some fiery guys and they just need some success to really get pumped. I like Jordan's attitude and he should emerge as more of a primary leader with a new QB arriving.

G. poor tackling I can't say we addressed this problem. Inconsistent tackling is a weakness for the Raiders' early draft picks, and the defensive coaching staff didn't change. The Raiders tackled well when they were playing gigantic linebackers to start the season, but injuries and lack of coverage forced them to put much weaker tacklers on the field late in the season. If they start Bing at LB (he's big for a SS but small for an LB), they could regress in this area.

H. special teams problems Nothing was done to address the major problems. Hopefully Janikowski will simply have a better year. I really wanted a replacement for Carr and didn't get it. Huff, Howard, and Bing can all contribute nicely on special teams, though.

I. lack of versatility at RB Another area that wasn't on most Raider fans' radar but I wanted help at. We were lucky that Jordan didn't get hurt last year, but if he goes down this year, any chance we have to contend goes with him. Not because Jordan is so great, but because our backups are that bad. I do hope though that the new offense and quarterback will stop trying to spoon-feed Stonehands Jordan out of the backfield, kind of addition by subtraction at the third-down back position.

J. bad contracts/cap problems As always, the Raiders didn't rebuild, and they probably should have. But at least they didn't press their luck like they did last year by trading for Moss (and stupidly re-doing his contract) and giving Jordan a big contract, and then topping it off by paying Charles Woodson $10M. This offseason should steady the ship some in terms of setting themselves up for the future, cap-wise.

FA losses/Other issues:

-How much will losing Ted Washington hurt the defense? I didn't feel DT was as much of an immediate need as many Raider fans did (I see potential in our rotation), but it's a gamble.

-How much did injuries affect the team? Every team suffers injuries, but having significant time missed by Moss, Porter, Woodson, Gibson, and Sam Williams may have been more costly than people realized. Woodson is no longer needed, but Moss/Gibson/Williams have a lingering injury history and are risks to go down again.

-The Raiders also seemed to get very few advantages based on play-calling and other strategic decisions by the coaching staff. It could have been more a problem of what the coaches had to work with, though.

With the draft over an no cap space, the Raiders' are pretty much done with offseason transactions. Here's a list of most of the Raiders' biggest problems, in general terms, in rough order. Followed by analysis of what they've done to fix the problems.

Problems

A. lack of takeaways (#29 with 19 takeaways, including a pathetic 5 INTs)

B. inability for passing game to handle the blitz (45 sacks despite well over 100 throwaways and dumpoffs)

C. poor run-blocking (Jordan 3.8 yards per carry, including a 16 for 19 effort at Philly)

D. inability to match up with good receiving RBs or TEs (slow linebackers and awful safeties)

E. lack of depth (particularly on defense and on the offensive line)

F. lack of fire/leadership (particularly from coaching staff and quarterback)

G. poor tackling (see item E, as we started off the year well in this area)

H. special teams problems (bad decisions by Chris Carr and lack of clutch kicking by Janikowski)

I. lack of versatility at RB (Jordan led the NFL in drops and made few big plays)

J. bad contracts/cap problems (should be higher on the list but is kind of a different class of problems)

What they've done to solve the problems:

A and D. (lack of takeaways and inability to match up with good receiving RBs or TEs) These go together somewhat because most teams didn't have to take any risks against the Raiders. These are two areas the Raiders helped themselves in via the draft. 1st-rounder Michael Huff, 2nd-rounder Thomas Howard, and 4th-rounder Darnell Bing can all match up effectively against TEs and RBs, and they catch the ball well. Opposing offenses also didn't have to take chances because they were playing with a lead most of the time. The Raiders did not address the pass rush part of the problem, other than bringing back Lance Johnstone, a poor-man's Derrick Burgess.

B. inability for passing game to handle the blitz Sadly, not much improvement in this area. Kerry Collins was a big part of the problem but Aaron Brooks doesn't excel at making good, quick decisions either. Also, the Raiders didn't add significant talent to the starting OL via free agency or the draft. Hopefully the young players on the line will gel some and Art Shell will teach them a thing or two. Aaron Brooks at least stands a chance to elude blitzers one-on-one, whereas Collins couldn't. Brooks is also more likely to try to make the defense pay by taking chances down the field rather than eating the ball, which is good considering the kind of athletes the Raiders have at WR.

C. poor run-blocking Will Art Shell be our savior here? We will see. I think Barry Sims could upgrade our run-blocking by moving to guard, but who knows if that will happen. Third-round pick Paul McQuistan has strength and technique so he may help in this area if he cracks the starting lineup. Might be worth it even if he is a liability as a pass-blocker. Toniu Fonoti was supposed to help here but failed a physical and did not sign on with the team. So, the Raiders made some effort in this area, but likely not much improvement.

E. lack of depth I think the depth will be significantly improved this year. Last year the Raiders absolutely could not afford to lose Charles Woodson and Derrick Gibson, and lost them both. Now their young corners have some experience, Poole and Starks give the team a couple of reserve CBs who understand zone coverage, and last year's starting safeties (Gibson and Stuart Schweigert) might be the 3rd and 4th best on the team now. Three OL were hand-picked in the draft and should all make the team. Shell and DC Rob Ryan have definitely had a say in bringing guys who can do what they want. Huge upgrade in this area, although the team still lacks depth at RDE and OLB.

F. lack of fire/leadership Turner's departure should help in the motivation department. Brooks is not much of a leader. The defense has got some fiery guys and they just need some success to really get pumped. I like Jordan's attitude and he should emerge as more of a primary leader with a new QB arriving.

G. poor tackling I can't say we addressed this problem. Inconsistent tackling is a weakness for the Raiders' early draft picks, and the defensive coaching staff didn't change. The Raiders tackled well when they were playing gigantic linebackers to start the season, but injuries and lack of coverage forced them to put much weaker tacklers on the field late in the season. If they start Bing at LB (he's big for a SS but small for an LB), they could regress in this area.

H. special teams problems Nothing was done to address the major problems. Hopefully Janikowski will simply have a better year. I really wanted a replacement for Carr and didn't get it. Huff, Howard, and Bing can all contribute nicely on special teams, though.

I. lack of versatility at RB Another area that wasn't on most Raider fans' radar but I wanted help at. We were lucky that Jordan didn't get hurt last year, but if he goes down this year, any chance we have to contend goes with him. Not because Jordan is so great, but because our backups are that bad. I do hope though that the new offense and quarterback will stop trying to spoon-feed Stonehands Jordan out of the backfield, kind of addition by subtraction at the third-down back position.

J. bad contracts/cap problems As always, the Raiders didn't rebuild, and they probably should have. But at least they didn't press their luck like they did last year by trading for Moss (and stupidly re-doing his contract) and giving Jordan a big contract, and then topping it off by paying Charles Woodson $10M. This offseason should steady the ship some in terms of setting themselves up for the future, cap-wise.

FA losses/Other issues:

-How much will losing Ted Washington hurt the defense? I didn't feel DT was as much of an immediate need as many Raider fans did (I see potential in our rotation), but it's a gamble.

-How much did injuries affect the team? Every team suffers injuries, but having significant time missed by Moss, Porter, Woodson, Gibson, and Sam Williams may have been more costly than people realized. Woodson is no longer needed, but Moss/Gibson/Williams have a lingering injury history and are risks to go down again.

-The Raiders also seemed to get very few advantages based on play-calling and other strategic decisions by the coaching staff. It could have been more a problem of what the coaches had to work with, though.

Look for Barry Simms to be released as he's stated he only wants to play left tackle for the Raiders. I don't see that as a loss at all, personally.

C. poor run-blocking This also needs to be addressed by grabbing a FB. We discussed a couple undrafted guys at the end of the draft yesterday and they need to sign a couple of those guys. (I haven't checked yet to see if they've been signed elsewhere or even by the Raiders.)

G. poor tackling This was partly due to the 4-2-5 allignment. The "5" guys in the secondary weren't drafted to be good tacklers and lived up to that. Playing a 4-3-4 (or even a 3-4-4 as has been rumored some) ought to at least get some better tackling on the field by compromising speed. "Ought" to. We'll see.

I. lack of versatility at RB I'd hope that some June cut or if Stephen Davis is healthy enough to play (and wants to play) could address this. The next RB is needed, but waiting 'til next year is alright with so many other problems. I'd rather they go cheap on this issue and keep cap room for more important moves next offseason. But that's just me.

Look for Barry Simms to be released as he's stated he only wants to play left tackle for the Raiders. I don't see that as a loss at all, personally.

Interesting. I wouldn't see him as a loss, either. Sims' salary far exceeds his contribution.

So who do you think starts for us at tackle this year? Gallery on the left and Walker on the right?

C. poor run-blocking This also needs to be addressed by grabbing a FB. We discussed a couple undrafted guys at the end of the draft yesterday and they need to sign a couple of those guys. (I haven't checked yet to see if they've been signed elsewhere or even by the Raiders.)

G. poor tackling This was partly due to the 4-2-5 allignment. The "5" guys in the secondary weren't drafted to be good tacklers and lived up to that. Playing a 4-3-4 (or even a 3-4-4 as has been rumored some) ought to at least get some better tackling on the field by compromising speed. "Ought" to. We'll see.

I. lack of versatility at RB I'd hope that some June cut or if Stephen Davis is healthy enough to play (and wants to play) could address this. The next RB is needed, but waiting 'til next year is alright with so many other problems. I'd rather they go cheap on this issue and keep cap room for more important moves next offseason. But that's just me.

Good points, galt, I forgot about fullback but yes, we need a fullback who can block. Could help make the OL look better. And yeah, that is something we can still address.

I actually thought Renaldo Hill was one of our better tacklers on the team as our "5" guy last year. Still you'd rather have a LB who is adept at tackling in there. I hope we don't go 3-4-4 (is that different than 3-4?)... I'm all for having Morrison on the field in general, and I know that's difficult in a 4-3 with Clark starting at MLB, but I don't think we need to organize our defense around Morrison.

I agree that RB help isn't our most pressing need. Particularly since, if we find a gem now who turns out to be deserving of lots of playing time, we can't really justify giving them the playing time given that Jordan is in year 2 of a big 5-year deal. I just hope Jordan doesn't go down and leave us with nothing this year.

I hope we don't go 3-4-4 (is that different than 3-4?)... I'm all for having Morrison on the field in general, and I know that's difficult in a 4-3 with Clark starting at MLB, but I don't think we need to organize our defense around Morrison.

Yeah, when I say "3-4-4" it's the "3-4" but then I was just keeping it consistant by listing the counts at all three levels of the D.

Our DE's don't have the size to play the 3-4 (except Bobby Hamilton, but his position should be at home or :doh: rather than DE). So it'll be the 4-3. I imagine that the three LB's will have to be Clark, Morrison, and Howard unless someone who can start at OLB steps up out of nowhere.

Stonehands Jordan? I keep reading about how great of a threat he is in the passing game.

Umm...yes.

2005 Regular Season NFL

Running Back Receiving

Player Team G Rec Yds Yds/G Lng Avg TDs 20+ 40+ 
LaMont Jordan OAK 14 70 563 40.2 28 8.0 2 4 0 
Brian Westbrook PHI 12 61 616 51.3 62 10.1 4 6 1 
Tiki Barber NYG 16 54 530 33.1 48 9.8 2 5 1 
Chris Perry CIN 14 51 328 23.4 28 6.4 2 1 0 
LaDainian Tomlinson SD 16 51 370 23.1 41 7.3 2 4 1 
Tony Fisher GB 14 48 347 24.8 15 7.2 1 0 0 
Edgerrin James IND 15 44 337 22.5 20 7.7 1 1 0 
Marshall Faulk STL 16 44 291 18.2 18 6.6 1 0 0 
Steven Jackson STL 15 43 320 21.3 27 7.4 2 1 0 
Chester Taylor BAL 15 41 292 19.5 20 7.1 1 1 0

Course that was last year when Collins kept dumping off to him b/c he couldn't or wouldn't throw downfield.

He'll be decent, maybe 35-45 range but don't see this same production recieving again (think he'll make it up in running game under Shell though)

Good stuff tj...have some thoughts and will comment later.

Stonehands Jordan? I keep reading about how great of a threat he is in the passing game.
Umm...yes.

2005 Regular Season NFL

Running Back Receiving

Player Team G Rec Yds Yds/G Lng Avg TDs 20+ 40+ 
1 LaMont Jordan OAK 14 70 563 40.2 28 8.0 2 4 0

Course that was last year when Collins kept dumping off to him b/c he couldn't or wouldn't throw downfield.

Yes, Stonehands Jordan led the NFL in passes dropped.

most dropped passes - NFL

1 LaMont Jordan OAK 12   
2T Plaxico Burress 11
2T Muhsin Muhammad 11
2T Donte' Stallworth 11
5 Eddie Kennison 10
6T Antonio Gates 9
6T Chad Johnson 9

Collins threw the ball to Jordan way too much. Even so, the vast majority of the balls Jordan dropped were very easy to catch, nothing like the downfield, in coverage passes that WRs frequently drop. I think 12 is a very conservative judgement of how many passes he dropped. Jordan had a lot of easy balls simply bounce of his chest or hands. He cost the Raiders a lot of easy first downs by doing so. I also wonder how many big plays we could have had if we'd been throwing further downfield to Moss/Porter instead.

I agree with NAn that if Art Shell has any sense whatsoever, he'll make sure that the number of passes thrown Jordan's way gets cut in half, but hopefully he'll take more handoffs.

From FanBall:

May 1, 2006 10:31 AM ET

Raiders: Gallery shifting

The News

Raiders head coach Art Shell told the San Francisco Chronicle that tackle Robert Gallery will be shifting to left tackle to protect the quarterback's blind side.

Our View

Gallery began his career playing guard and right tackle, but now that the Raiders line is weeding out again veterans, it's time to get Gallery where he belongs.

So Simms is done at LT. RT or a move inside or a cut is the follow-up question.

I guess Courtney Anderson is starting at TE again. I'm ok with him getting another chance to develop on the field. Randal Williams and James Adkisson are pretty inadequate as competition and depth go, though. :(

From FanBall:

So Simms is done at LT. RT or a move inside or a cut is the follow-up question.

:blink: :o :clap: :blink:

I guess Courtney Anderson is starting at TE again. I'm ok with him getting another chance to develop on the field. Randal Williams and James Adkisson are pretty inadequate as competition and depth go, though. :doublethumbsup:

Another "need" that's less important than several others. I'd rather live without fixing that position than with most of the holes that did get help.

Hopefully, now that we've got a startable OLB and a pair of good young Safties, next offseason will have fewer needs to fill. That list will contain at least the following:

LDE

back-up RB

TE

And that list may need to also include several OLine positions unless some of the young guys make significant progress. We can never have too much talent and depth on the two lines.

The fullbacks are getting snatched up by other teams:

Fahu Tahi is another solid fullback going to the Bengals.

Quadtrine Hill, a more versatile fullback from Miami is going to Houston.

The Lions picked up Matt Bernstein at fullback.

How about giving Whitehead some love and converting him to fullback? He's a slow but steady runner and receiver.

Hopefully, now that we've got a startable OLB and a pair of good young Safties, next offseason will have fewer needs to fill. That list will contain at least the following:

LDE

back-up RB

TE

And that list may need to also include several OLine positions unless some of the young guys make significant progress. We can never have too much talent and depth on the two lines.

Yep. A well-run team should be picking 2+ guys for the OL and/or DL in most drafts. To add to the list of needs:

3rd -> 2nd string QB ... Tui will be gone after '06, and Brooks will be probably gone after '07

SS ... it looks like Bing is going to play OLB, unfortunately. Huff and Schweigert are FS, and Gibson is only signed for this year. At the very least we'll need to add a backup for '07.

DT ... unless Sapp is the Energizer Bunny

So the needs will be plenty once again.

Guys that we need to step up in order not have more needs:

-Anderson

-one or more of the DTs

-half of the offensive line

-one of the young WRs (Morant, Francis, or McMahan)

-two linebackers among Thomas/Morrison/Bing/Riddle/Williams

-at least one of Washington/Asomugha/Routt

Info on the Raiders' draft picks in terms of positions, from raiders.com

"[bing] can play on the box, he can run and he can cover," Coach Shell said. "We decided that he would be a good prospect as a linebacker. That's where were projecting him."
"[boothe] lost a lot of weight he moves a whole lot better," Coach Shell said. "We did get some big guys, you can't have enough of the big guys. He was a left tackle [at Cornell] but we saw him at a All-star game where he played guard."
Morris] will come in and compete and work as a center, and have the opportunity at the guard position."

different article on Huff

"He is a very versatile player that can play any one of those positions in the secondary," Coach Shell said. "He as the ability to play any one of those positions (safety/corner/slot) because he has done it in the past."

blurb on McQuistan

The Raiders have used their third round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to select Weber State offensive guard Paul McQuistan. The 6'6", 315-pounder started his final 42 games at left tackle, lining up alongside his twin brother, Paul, who performed as a left guard for the Wildcats.

So it looks like they want McQuistan at guard, even though he played LT in college, which is good considering that's our biggest immediate need and he's our top OL prospect. Boothe = OT/OG and Morris = C/G. Most likely Morris at C due to his super-sweet snapping skills, unless we are desperate for someone to fill in at G and Boothe etc aren't cutting it. Who knows how they are going to sort out Huff/Schweigert/Gibson at safety.

Boothe = OT/OG and Morris = C/G. Most likely Morris at C due to his super-sweet snapping skills, unless we are desperate for someone to fill in at G and Boothe etc aren't cutting it. Who knows how they are going to sort out Huff/Schweigert/Gibson at safety.

Did Jake Grove die and no one posted it? He is a very good center.

As for Gibson ---> :thumbsup: He takes horrible angles and gets beat deep.

Just a homers 2 cents

Did Jake Grove die and no one posted it? He is a very good center.

As for Gibson ---> :thumbsup: He takes horrible angles and gets beat deep.

Just a homers 2 cents

I didn't mean that Booth and Morris are going to start. Just commenting on wich positions they are going to learn. Grove will definitely start at center.

Like him or not, we need Gibson. Huff and Schweigert can't do it alone, and I'm not crazy about putting either one of those guys in the box as a strong safety. I think Gibson will start making smarter plays if he can stay on the field for a few weeks in a row.

Every DB we've had (including Woodson and Buchanon) has been knocked for getting beat deep, maybe if we put some pressure on the QB it wouldn't be such a problem. And we haven't had a safety who took good angles since Rod Woodson, so I'm not ready to write Derrick off yet.

I do think the writing is on the wall for him, but he should at least be in the mix until Huff and Schweigert prove we don't need him, or until he gets hurt again. I sure don't want to see Cooper getting any meaningful snaps at safety.

Apparently the Raiders signed William Buchannon from USC. He's 6'3 191 and ran 4.38 40 at the USC pro day and has a 40" vertical. He lined up at WR and CB for the Trojans but couldn't seem to crack the lineup (despite very impressive practice reviews). I see him physically (and I stress, physically) very similar to Moss. He could latch on to the practice squad for a couple years to develop, he's an amazing athlete who may have simply been stuck in a numbers game (see Matt Cassel).

Apparently the Raiders signed William Buchannon from USC. He's 6'3 191 and ran 4.38 40 at the USC pro day and has a 40" vertical. He lined up at WR and CB for the Trojans but couldn't seem to crack the lineup (despite very impressive practice reviews). I see him physically (and I stress, physically) very similar to Moss. He could latch on to the practice squad for a couple years to develop, he's an amazing athlete who may have simply been stuck in a numbers game (see Matt Cassel).

I don't see the signing (or any other post-draft FA signings for that matter) on raiders.com Do you think we're interested in him as a WR or as a CB?

Speaking of Trojans, a caller on Sirius NFL radio today asked Pat Kirwan (former NFL GM with a lot of USC ties) if Bing was going to play safety or linebacker. He said he thought safety, which surprised me because every indication I've seen is that the Raiders are going to put him at linebacker. He said he thought Bing didn't have the mentality and tackling to play linebacker at the point of attack, and also said that Bing has better deep coverage skills than people are giving him credit for. :thumbsup:

I don't see the signing (or any other post-draft FA signings for that matter) on raiders.com Do you think we're interested in him as a WR or as a CB?

Speaking of Trojans, a caller on Sirius NFL radio today asked Pat Kirwan (former NFL GM with a lot of USC ties) if Bing was going to play safety or linebacker. He said he thought safety, which surprised me because every indication I've seen is that the Raiders are going to put him at linebacker. He said he thought Bing didn't have the mentality and tackling to play linebacker at the point of attack, and also said that Bing has better deep coverage skills than people are giving him credit for. <_<

Honestly, I think Bing would make a good WLB, but a better SS. I think he and Huff would be quite a pair in the backfield. Bing has compensated for some mediocre corners and safeties around him and USC was still pretty darn good.

I'd also look for Bing to get involved in the return game if he remains at safety.

I think they give Buchannon a look at WR, his speed is silly and he can catch, he just sat behind Mike Williams, Keary Colbert, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, Chris McFoy and Patrick Turner. All but McFoy will be collecting Sunday paychecks as first day draft picks...

-one of the young WRs (Morant, Francis, or McMahan)

If McMahan can adjust to the level of competition, he should be an excellent complimentary receiver. :thumbsup:

The fullbacks are getting snatched up by other teams:

Still none for the Raiders:

FB Jake Slaughter Chiefs

FB Matt Bernstein Lions

FB John Pannozzo Falcons

FB Naufahu Tahi Bengals

FB Rashon Powers-Neal Broncos

FB Shawn Willis Chargers

FB Jason Davis Eagles

FB Steven Jackson Vikings

How about giving Whitehead some love and converting him to fullback? He's a slow but steady runner and receiver.

Still seemingly a free agent.

Terrence Whitehead

Height: 5-10 1/8 | Weight: 209 | 40-Time: 4.65

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive with good vision...Excellent receiver out of the backfield...Quick and athletic...Tough...A solid and willing blocker...Breaks a lot of tackles...Impressive yards per carry average...Hard worker who wants to improve...Has lots of experience...Also a return return man.

Weaknesses:

Lacks the top speed and extra gear you look for...Can be a little streaky and inconsistent...Is not a big play threat and won't run away from anyone...Probably doesn't have a huge upside...Has some durability questions with his ankles.

Notes:

A three-year starter who was originally recruited to play defense...Good college runner whose lack of speed will hurt him...The Ducks have had some success with producing NFL running backs in recent years with the likes of Onterrio Smith, Maurice Morris and Reuben Droughns...Could possibly emerge as a solid backup.

I imagine he would need to bulk up quite a bit to play as a professional FB - 209lbs ain't enough.

Oakland did sign a "RB" named Joe Hall a couple weeks ago. He's listed at 6'2" and either 300 (nfl.com) or 318 (raiders.com) pounds, so I assume he's more of a blocking threat than a guy to spell Jordan. He spent last year in the Chiefs' organization, so maybe he learned a lil' something from Tony Richardson (:pray:). Or maybe he can play guard :pointstosky:.

From the Bing thread:

Huff impressing in camp...as cover safety (thanks NAn)

-Sims working out at left guard

-Gallery will play left tackle

This belongs in the thread t.j started, but I'm too lazy to search for it. Displayed at RTS today:
The Oakland Raiders have signed free agent RB ReShard Lee (Packers) to a one-year contract that included a base salary of $425,000.

I hope he's not the best we can do for a back-up RB, but I guess a body is better than no body.

I'd like to see us do better as well, but I do think Lee is probably the second-best back on the team now.

Also, I noticed that we signed Rod Smart (He Hate Me). I wouldn't mind at all if he was our KR this year.

Still seemingly a free agent.

I imagine he would need to bulk up quite a bit to play as a professional FB - 209lbs ain't enough.

That's about where Droughns started when coach made him a fullback.

That's about where Droughns started when coach made him a fullback.

Who, incidentally, is no longer a fullback. B)

Oakland did sign a "RB" named Joe Hall a couple weeks ago. He's listed at 6'2" and either 300 (nfl.com) or 318 (raiders.com) pounds, so I assume he's more of a blocking threat than a guy to spell Jordan. He spent last year in the Chiefs' organization, so maybe he learned a lil' something from Tony Richardson (:pray:). Or maybe he can play guard :thumbsup:.

He's now listed at 290lbs on raiders.com. Weight loss at this rate and soon he'll be kicker-sized.

So they added a TE today. From FanBall:

May 9, 2006 9:12 PM ET

Raiders: Rivers signs one-year deal

The News

Tight end Marcellus Rivers signed a one-year contract with the Raiders on Tuesday. Rivers will receive a base salary of $585,000 next season, ESPN reported.

Our View

Rivers spent his first four professional seasons with the Giants, but had his best season as a member of the Texans in 2005. Blocking is considered his greatest strength, so while he could help boost the numbers of Domanick Davis, Rivers has no fantasy value as a receiver.

I guess they don't realize that it's LaMont Jordan rather than Domanick Davis starting as the Raider RB.