Sign in to follow this  
Erb047

Duce Staley and FWP

Any Pitt people know what the deal is with Staley?? Is he FWPs backup? Possibly getting goalline carries?

Any Pitt people know what the deal is with Staley?? Is he FWPs backup? Possibly getting goalline carries?

If he's lucky, he'll stave off Verron Haynes

Agreed with Vernon Haynes-third down back + goal line guy - Staley is :shocking: boy.

With Willie Parker set to start for the Steelers at running back, Staley will battle Verron Haynes for the short-yardage back role formerly occupied by Jerome Bettis, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

The question that comes to my mind when I read this is how many times will we be seeing play action and a td to Heath Miller on 1st or 2nd and goal?

Agreed with Vernon Haynes-third down back + goal line guy - Staley is :bench: boy.

:banana: I agree.. I have never pictured Staley as a goal-line/short yardage back.. I think he will be the odd man out in Pittsburgh this season... He may get some third down looks but not much more I would think...

Pittsburg also picked up Cedric Humes, at 6'-0 and 227 lbs. I'd imagine that he'll be in the mix too. I'd bet Haynes starts the season in the short yardage roll but Humes will see the field a bit. I agree with many of the above posts that the aging Staley will be the odd man out... before long Pittsburg will de dropping a DUCE.

Pittsburg also picked up Cedric Humes, at 6'-0 and 227 lbs. I'd imagine that he'll be in the mix too. I'd bet Haynes starts the season in the short yardage roll but Humes will see the field a bit. I agree with many of the above posts that the aging Staley will be the odd man out... before long Pittsburg will de dropping a DUCE.

Humes is slow. There is a reason he was drafted that late. He will be on the practice squad or inactive at the least for most of the games.

Staley will probably play every third series IMO. He is fully recovered and a year ago he was the man between the 20's. He says he is going to challenge FWP for the primary role.

Agreed with Vernon Haynes-third down back + goal line guy - Staley is :cheers: boy.

I think you're underestimating the loyalty cowher has for his vets. Staley will be involved if healthy. "IF" is the key word.

:shocking: I agree.. I have never pictured Staley as a goal-line/short yardage back.. I think he will be the odd man out in Pittsburgh this season... He may get some third down looks but not much more I would think...

i disagree

Staley or FWP for that matter could both be fulltime backs but Cowher will have none of that

i dont really understand the need here

Haynes is(or was at least) listed as a FB so if you really want to give him short yardage just have him in as a FB a run it that way with whoever behind him. if you really want a big set well then just sub in the extra FB.....

trying one of these guys to fill in for Bettis is like sticking a square peg in a round hole IMO