Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Ron Dayne Listed Atop Denver's Depth Chart...

I don't think anyone has posted this yet...Dayne opens mini camp on top of Bell

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, June 1, 2006

Update: Dayne opened the team's recent passing camp atop the depth chart and committee rotation over third-year pro Tatum Bell, the Denver Post reports.

Recommendation: Keep in mind it's early and coach Mike Shanahan will likely name the starter after training camp's position battle. Dayne, who rushed for 270 yards last season, rejuvenated his career in Denver after signing a free agent one-year deal last offseason. He impressed the team so much that getting him re-signed this offseason was a priority. Meanwhile, Dynasty and keeper league owners of Bell probably share his concern. "When I heard the news about Mike [Anderson] and then we didn't get another running back, I was like, 'Oh, yeah, it's on. That's all I need,"' Bell told the Post. "Then comes the start of quarterback camp and Dayne goes with the first group and I'm like, 'Ahh, here we go again."'

Updated on Thursday, Jun 1, 2006 12:29 pm EDT

Somewhat surprising...but every year is a battle for all running backs in Denver to show they deserve more playing time than the next guy. Dayne started getting a few carries toward the end of last season, but didn't impress me enough to think he could be the starter or even RBBC and be as effective as Mike Anderson was. Maybe Dayne has slimmed down some and worked hard in the offseason, if he hasn't I see Bell getting the 15-20 carries per while Dayne gets 5-10.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet...Dayne opens mini camp on top of Bell

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, June 1, 2006

Update: Dayne opened the team's recent passing camp atop the depth chart and committee rotation over third-year pro Tatum Bell, the Denver Post reports.

Recommendation: Keep in mind it's early and coach Mike Shanahan will likely name the starter after training camp's position battle. Dayne, who rushed for 270 yards last season, rejuvenated his career in Denver after signing a free agent one-year deal last offseason. He impressed the team so much that getting him re-signed this offseason was a priority. Meanwhile, Dynasty and keeper league owners of Bell probably share his concern. "When I heard the news about Mike [Anderson] and then we didn't get another running back, I was like, 'Oh, yeah, it's on. That's all I need,"' Bell told the Post. "Then comes the start of quarterback camp and Dayne goes with the first group and I'm like, 'Ahh, here we go again."'

Updated on Thursday, Jun 1, 2006 12:29 pm EDT

Bell likes to think he's a lot more than he is sometimes. If he was half the back he thinks he is, he'd have that starting position just like when Portis took it. He's just not a complete RB. He's a situation back. Shanahan played it well last year and I wouldn't doubt he'd do the same this year. A true RBBC but, as with last year, the system is so good that either Dayne or Bell could end up putting solid #2 RB numbers.

Bell likes to think he's a lot more than he is sometimes. If he was half the back he thinks he is, he'd have that starting position just like when Portis took it. He's just not a complete RB. He's a situation back.

:thumbsup:

A true RBBC but, as with last year, the system is so good that either Dayne or Bell could end up putting solid #2 RB numbers.

Yeah, but the problem is which one, and on what given week? I might draft one or the other and stash them on my bench, but unless one of those guys got injured or ended up in Shanahan's oghouse (which is unlikely), then I don't think there would ever be a situation where I'd feel comfortable plugging either one into my lineup on any given week, because it's almost like Russian Roulette. And if you're not ever going to feel comfortable starting a guy who you'd have to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round, why waste a draft pick on him?

Yeah, but the problem is which one, and on what given week? I might draft one or the other and stash them on my bench, but unless one of those guys got injured or ended up in Shanahan's oghouse (which is unlikely), then I don't think there would ever be a situation where I'd feel comfortable plugging either one into my lineup on any given week, because it's almost like Russian Roulette. And if you're not ever going to feel comfortable starting a guy who you'd have to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round, why waste a draft pick on him?

Currently Bell's ADP is 4.04, the 26th RB taken at antsports. Dayne's is 7.07, the 36th rb taken. I'm pretty sure that will change by late August just like it changed last year between Bell and Anderson but I also know that if I can get the one that's proclaimed the starter in the middle to late 3rd round, maybe 4th, I'll take it.

Was it a wasted draft pick on either one of them last year? Bell was not as solid week-to-week as Anderson but both were in the top 15 for ff points in my league. I started Anderson almost every week as my 2nd RB last year and I didn't get him until late in the 4th round. If I can do that with Dayne this year, I'll be happy.

Why wouldn't Dayne just be inserted into Mike Anderson's role of last year? I can't find a reason.

Currently Bell's ADP is 4.04, the 26th RB taken at antsports. Dayne's is 7.07, the 36th rb taken. I'm pretty sure that will change by late August just like it changed last year between Bell and Anderson but I also know that if I can get the one that's proclaimed the starter in the middle to late 3rd round, maybe 4th, I'll take it.

Was it a wasted draft pick on either one of them last year? Bell was not as solid week-to-week as Anderson but both were in the top 15 for ff points in my league. I started Anderson almost every week as my 2nd RB last year and I didn't get him until late in the 4th round. If I can do that with Dayne this year, I'll be happy.

Why wouldn't Dayne just be inserted into Mike Anderson's role of last year? I can't find a reason.

I ended up having to trade for Anderson in desperation around week 10 last season, because I got hit by a bunch of injuries at once. He was good for a couple of weeks, and then I got burned by him a couple of times (including Thanksgiving) where, for whatever reason, he just didn't get the carries, and then he sat on my bench for the rest of the season. Looking at the guys who are going in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd much rather take someone like Chester Taylor or Warrick Dunn who's at least got some guarantee of production. In the 7th round, sure, that's a no-brainer; I'd be happy to take a flyer on whichever one of those guys is considered the backup at that point. But I think Bell or Dayne is too risky to spend anything above, say, a 6th round pick.

I know I have said this before, and I'll say it again; I have a friend who works in the Denver front office who told me Shanny and the execs really like Dayne and will give him every opportunity to start off as the #1, with Bell getting 5-10 carries a game to spell him. If Dayne falters, Bell will see more time.

I know I have said this before, and I'll say it again; I have a friend who works in the Denver front office who told me Shanny and the execs really like Dayne and will give him every opportunity to start off as the #1, with Bell getting 5-10 carries a game to spell him. If Dayne falters, Bell will see more time.

Now that's what I was talking about when I asked what homers were hearing! :doublethumbsup:

Too bad everyone will know this by the start of the season.

And there goes Dayne in the early third round - HA - or maybe really - here is what i think :o

The enigma of the draft right here!

Dayne has great valueright now.

He looked really good in Denver last year, and skeptics will remember his Giant days and downgrade him.

Right now he carries a late 3rd round, early 4th round grade for a team adding a 3rd RB, or maybe a risky 2nd.

Mike Anderson was the 10th RB last year. I think Dayne has the ability to that as well...of course Bell has the talent as well...but something must not be right with him. The coaches appear to love Dayne and not Bell.

Somewhat surprising...but every year is a battle for all running backs in Denver to show they deserve more playing time than the next guy. Dayne started getting a few carries toward the end of last season, but didn't impress me enough to think he could be the starter or even RBBC and be as effective as Mike Anderson was. Maybe Dayne has slimmed down some and worked hard in the offseason, if he hasn't I see Bell getting the 15-20 carries per while Dayne gets 5-10.

Dayne avereged over 5 YPC last year. Not sure what he was supposed to do to convince you he would suffice in a RBBC.

Still, there will be plenty of fools who will draft Tatum Bell in the 4th or 5th round. :doublethumbsup: