Sign in to follow this  
hoffdaddy

Lower Cable/Sat Television Bills?

So, what's the catch?

http://www.wewantchoice.com/

This week, Congress is debating H.R. 5252 , the bipartisan legislation that would deliver real choice and lower costs for your television service.

I wanna be able to eventually have the opportunity to pay for the stations I want, not all of the stations you get with a certain "package". I don't wanna pay for Lifetime if I want ESPN or The History Channel. That would be greta.

I wanna be able to eventually have the opportunity to pay for the stations I want, not all of the stations you get with a certain "package". I don't wanna pay for Lifetime if I want ESPN or The History Channel. That would be greta.

I hear that. That is my dream scenario as well. The counter to that is always that then those 'lesser' channels will go out of business. I say good riddance. If your programming is good enough, people will pay for it. If not, why are you on TV?

TV "a-la-carte"?

don't simple economics tell us that will be more expensive?

don't get me wrong, I'd like that too... I just don't how they could offer it at a reasonable price.

That bill goes beyond just TV. As far as the pay for the channels you want model, it could actually end up costing you more to do that compared to what current costs are. It seems to me there is competition - there are at least two major satellite TV suppliers in addition to cable. I know several people who switch back and forth between these different vendors depending on who will give them the best deal at the time. If you had to pay say $5 per channel how many channels would it take until you hit your current bill for a package that includes a bunch you don't watch in addition to the ones you do?

Heck, I only watch certain stations. Stations I would pay for are of course abc, cbs, nbc, and fox. Then there is espn, history channel, discovery channel, and that focking lifetime channel for the wife. cnn and msnbc would be a must as well.

10 stations. Thats all I would need.

hmmm... T.V. a-la carte. interesting. I would need:

Cartoon Network

Nickelodeon (for SpongeBob only)

Travel Channel (poker)

GameShow Network (poker)

CBS

NBC

ESPN

ESPN2

ABC

Fox

WPIX (PIX!!! PIX!!!)

Sci-Fi (Battlestar Galactica)

TBS

Discovery Channel

The Learning Channel

Animal Planet

The History Channel

hell, I'm sure a bunch of other channels play random good stuff. There is like NOTHING on if I'm lounging around on a weekend afternoon. I may pause at a number of stations, including the soft-pron Latino networks.

A-la-carte me no likey. I'll take the packages, thanks.