Sign in to follow this  
texasmouth

Priest Holmes rumor

Stole this from another board, no link.......not my work.......

PRIEST HOLMES TO RETIRE FROM THE NFL

Priest Holmes has already discussed with the KC Chiefs as well as the NFLPA his plans to retire from the NFL. Holmes is rumored to be planning to officially retire at the start of training camp pending his failed "pre-season physical examination" given by the Chiefs.

The retirement is being handled this way so Priest Holmes can exercise his rights under the CBA's Injury Protection Benefit clause. It requires three things of a player to qualify. First, he must have received a career threatening injury that caused him to miss the last game of the season and the injury verified by the NFL teams physician. Secondly, he must have participated fully in the customary rehabilitation process, then lastly, he must fail the teams pre-season physical exam. Holmes has now met two of the three with the teams physical yet to come.

The "Injury Protection Benefit" would allow Holmes to receive up to 50% of his 2005 paragraph 5 salary of 2,415,000 depending on any injury protection clauses he negotiated into his contract. This is a very cloudy area that has been causing great tension between the Chiefs, Holmes and his agent.

It seems Holmes base salary for the year 2006 is only $700,000 vs. the almost $2.5 million for 2005. The Chiefs could keep him on the roster and gurantee his salary for the year and pay him a lower amount. It is rumored that the negotiations of the injury settlement have just completed.

I have been yet unable to determine the impact of Holmes signing bonus on this nor have I determined the salary cap impact for the Chiefs.

What will happen next? Time will tell! Remember this is a rumor, but I feel very confident it is based on solid ground.

if this is true, let the bidding for LJ begin. i love SA but if LJ is in that backfield with no competition, i don't see how he isn't the #1 pick.

if this is true, let the bidding for LJ begin. i love SA but if LJ is in that backfield with no competition, i don't see how he isn't the #1 pick.

he isnt the Number 1 pick cuase 2 of the chiefs OL lineman are 35 plus, and roaf last year was in and out of action all season long.

I dont see KC OL lasting all season long together. And they are a huge reason LJ was as big as he was

I think Larry Johnson (with Priest) is better than without. He'd provide a change of pace for the opposing defenses and would provide time to give Larry a breather.

Truth is you can't go wrong with picking LJ, Alexander, or LT, with the #1 overall pick. All 3 guys, if healthy, will have at least 1500 yards and 20 TD's by season's end. I still think LJ will be the top total points fantasy RB in standard scoring leagues at the end of this season, which is why I will draft him #1 overall if I get the 1st selection in my fantasy draft.

Stole this from another board, no link.......not my work.......

Priest has too much to lose if he plays and gets hurt again. Come to think of it, I imagine the Chiefs have a lot to lose if they allow him to play and he reinjures his neck. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

I see the O-line being less of a problem for LJ than the new coaching staff. Sure they love to run the ball, but teams know they have no passing attack to complement it and will stack the box. LJ will have a great season, but I don't think he's the clear #1 just because Holmes is retired.

without reading all the links posted herein... I figured the odds were that Priest would retire this year?

IMO, it would be more of a shock if he actually tried to play.

:P

he isnt the Number 1 pick cuase 2 of the chiefs OL lineman are 35 plus, and roaf last year was in and out of action all season long.

I dont see KC OL lasting all season long together. And they are a huge reason LJ was as big as he was

But surely.... The OL didn't last all season long together last season, with Roaf out or below par for much of the second half while LJ was starter - and still LJ burned it up. There is more of a possibility this season that Roaf will be fit all year...

He's a hugely impressive runner in a run-first system. There are no guarantees - I remember when I picked Faulk no.1, he got injured and Holmes blew everyone away - but what's not to like about LJ's situation?

I think Larry Johnson (with Priest) is better than without. He'd provide a change of pace for the opposing defenses and would provide time to give Larry a breather.

yes b/c he was so much better with priest around than when priest was hurt :lol:

yes b/c he was so much better with priest around than when priest was hurt :lol:

Well when preist was around at first, priest was the #1, he took the bulk of the carries, not LJ, it would be reversed this year

snow white liked to nap

I see the O-line being less of a problem for LJ than the new coaching staff. Sure they love to run the ball, but teams know they have no passing attack to complement it and will stack the box. LJ will have a great season, but I don't think he's the clear #1 just because Holmes is retired.

has 8 men in the box ever worked vs. good/great backs? a retired holmes means more opportunity.

Truth is you can't go wrong with picking LJ, Alexander, or LT, with the #1 overall pick. All 3 guys, if healthy, will have at least 1500 yards and 20 TD's by season's end. I still think LJ will be the top total points fantasy RB in standard scoring leagues at the end of this season, which is why I will draft him #1 overall if I get the 1st selection in my fantasy draft.

I have both LJ and LT! Lt has been my keeper for the last 3 seasons and this season we are going to 2 keepers instead of one. I got LJ last year in the 5th round and rode him all the way to a championship. Its good to be king!

Another owner in my league got LJ in a week one trade last year and his keeper salary will only be $8 this year. :banana: I did manage to beat him in the title game, but this year is going to be tough.

Frickin Ricky Williams really screwed me up this year. I picked him up off of waivers about week 3 last year and he did win me the championship game, but I was expecting him to be traded to Denver this season and I would have had a stud RB in a stud RB producing town for $8. Now I am playing catch up with the LJ owner and I don't think that I can make up the ground.

I have both LJ and LT! Lt has been my keeper for the last 3 seasons and this season we are going to 2 keepers instead of one. I got LJ last year in the 5th round and rode him all the way to a championship. Its good to be king!

I think I would drop out of your league if I had to play you every year...... :blink:

I have told this story before......in a keeper league that I have been in for about 5 years now I had LT and Priest. I offered a guy Priest for Ricky Williams after his first season in Miami, he turned me down but I offered him LT for Ricky and he took it. Smart move on my part......I am a huge Ricky Williams fan though.......in the next years I drafted Boldin to go with Randy Moss and added LJ to back up Priest.....so I have done ok but the trade that will haunt me forever is the LT for Ricky trade.....homerism at its best........

I think I would drop out of your league if I had to play you every year...... :wub:

I have told this story before......in a keeper league that I have been in for about 5 years now I had LT and Priest. I offered a guy Priest for Ricky Williams after his first season in Miami, he turned me down but I offered him LT for Ricky and he took it. Smart move on my part......I am a huge Ricky Williams fan though.......in the next years I drafted Boldin to go with Randy Moss and added LJ to back up Priest.....so I have done ok but the trade that will haunt me forever is the LT for Ricky trade.....homerism at its best........

Bouve would have made that trade, too. And thrown in a wr.

When Priest got hurt last year, I figured he would retire before the season was over. He still wants to play, but can't unless he gets a doctors ok.

I think I would drop out of your league if I had to play you every year...... :first:

Got that beat........

Last yr, in a starting up dynasty league, Ihad the #2 and took Alexander. With it being a PPR league, Moss "average" year was close enough to Alexander. So, I traded Alexander for R Moss and a 5th and 6th round pick (Bettis and Mwelde). In the 2nd and 3rd round I took Holt and Harrison, thinking we played 2RB/3WR/ and a flex. But I was wrong it was 2-2 and then a flex, so I had to play one of my WRs at flex all yr. so, I had the pre season best trio of WRs in our league, but my RBs were Bettis, Taylor, Mwelde, and LJ. Not real pretty. wasnt a fun year.

Luckily, with some shrewd moves, I changed my team into what you see in my signature.